Painting up my valve cover

GSROWNSU

Hey guys i started tonight with the prep i'm painting my valve cover. I used aircraft paint stripper to get the old stuff off and all i have to say is WOW...stuff is amazing...10 min and the paint just wipes away! Valve cover is all prepped for paint now. As soon as i can find a can i'm painting it black wrinkle ;) should look really nice when i'm done. I'll get some pics up asap.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
Ominous G2 said:
Dont forget some new gaskets.
lol. some people don't dipose of their old ones when they paint their valve cover. i replaced mine though. WRINKLE RED FTW!

why are you doing black?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
^^^ i still can't believe you payed almost $30 for that red wrinkle paint.... lol but it turned out 99.9% good.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
well no where else sells it. but atleast it came with a BONUS HAT! ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh! and that shit is ugly! lol. ill never wear it. and they included two catalogs of items they sell.

99.9% good? that shit was awesome except for someone had to smudge the paint.

GSROWNSU

JDM_Conversion said:
lol. some people don't dipose of their old ones when they paint their valve cover. i replaced mine though. WRINKLE RED FTW!

why are you doing black?
Idk i guess because everyone does red and red valve covers are for the type R's. I have nothing against the people who don't have type r's and painted them red i'm just saying...i have a gsr not a type r so i'm just gonna make it black...a new coat of black on there with the polished lettering will look really nice. :lol:

keat320

I actually just did mine last weekend, the wrinkle paint wasnt really up my ally so I sort of sanded/brushed the aluminum until it was smooth, and put a glossy gunmetal on it. Good luck with yours, though

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
keat320 said:
I actually just did mine last weekend, the wrinkle paint wasnt really up my ally so I sort of sanded/brushed the aluminum until it was smooth, and put a glossy gunmetal on it. Good luck with yours, though
did you bake your valve cover in the oven?

keat320

No, i did 3 coats each of primer and then the paint, both high heat engine enamel, and let it dry over night (its freezing cold up here, so it didnt dry in the prescribed 3 hours or w/e it was for my paint). So far so good, haven't had any problems with it.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
you should've done it the other way. it less hassling since the temp is so cold.

1st. paint stripper
2nd. thick coat of paint
3rd. bake in oven for 30min - 1 hr. (3xx+ degrees)
4th. another thick coat
5th. bake once again for 30min - 1 hr.
6th. last coat of paint.
7th. lastly bake for one last time for 30min -1 hr

it takes time and patients. i believe you dont have to wait that long since each oven heats up quicker than others and some hold in the heat much better than others.

aprox. 2hr 10min - 3hrs 40min

EDIT: lol hopefully you guys used high temp tape on the holes so it doesnt melt.

Last edited:

keat320

Yeah i guess; the oven thing just seems unnecessary to me, and the primer and paint both said they needed 3 light-to-medium coats... thats a lot of oven time! I just left it in the garage overnight and it was fine... was good to touch in a few hours but i just let it go cause i had the time.

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
keat320 said:
Yeah i guess; the oven thing just seems unnecessary to me, and the primer and paint both said they needed 3 light-to-medium coats... thats a lot of oven time! I just left it in the garage overnight and it was fine... was good to touch in a few hours but i just let it go cause i had the time.
i baked a pretty good valve cover lol. i wanted to eat it.

JDM_DB7sedan

Run ur car NOT ur mouth!
hmmm, now im getting an idea for that old valve cover i got in the closet. hey, how did u cover up the letters on the valve cover? PM me