Axle back and cat back exhaust...what's the difference?

ca86108

exhaust differences

this dude wanna sell me a POWERTECH??? is that good?? exhaust. for 150$ but its an axel back, whats the diff between axl back n cat back

mist3r Lin

axle-back exhausts start at the rear axle and the cat-back exhausts start at the cat...

does it get any simpler?

Todd

token ex-mod
and no "powertech" is not a good name brand... i bought my tanabe axle back for $100 and it's a better quality

DownShift96GSR

I don't get the point in an axel back. Why not just get a cat-back and call it a day. And yeah that POWERTECH stuff, not good. Skunk2, Hayame, Greddy, Tsudo, Apexi, HKS, etc......the big names you really want to stick to, IMO

Todd

token ex-mod
DownShift96GSR said:
I don't get the point in an axel back. Why not just get a cat-back and call it a day.
because catbacks tend to cost around twice as much as an axle back... that's why

Todd

token ex-mod
no, if you build your car enough you're going to eventually want to do a custom exahust... specially if you're planning to with forced induction

DownShift96GSR

Depending on how much you build your car. I see an axel back exhaust just like I see throttle body spacers. I think they are pointless and I don't really car cuz I've already got my exhaust.

Todd

token ex-mod
but you'll have to get new exhaust if you turbo/supercharge :mrgreen:
my civic right now has a tanabe axle back that i picked up for $50, it give me a little power gain going up hills, it sounds nice, and besides... my stock muffler was mostly rust was falling apart.... and this was cheaper then buying an oem replacement... now at the same time i bought a custom 1 piece 3" catback piping that will go on shortly... along with the turbo and the muffler off of the axle back :D
so for $175 i get a temporary good looking exhaust AND the full 3" exhaust for when i install my turbo setup