Automatic Transmission slipping, should I fix or sell?

SCJR

Just bought 94 automatic LS about a month ago, the transmission slips if I give it to much gas, sucks cus I have to slowly accelerate from every stop. Since the tranny will need to be replaced either way should I swap it out for a 5 speed trans? or just sell the car? I want to make a move which will benefit me the most. The engine is in great condition has 156k miles, as of right now the car needs

brake pads, suspension, tranny

is it worth fixing? or how much could I sell this car for? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I bought the car I had no intentions of tuning it up but now I feel like id rather own a 5 speed and maybe throw in a turbo or something...getting kind of bored of automatic...so yeah anyone out there wanna tell me what they think? Thanks

Ganyon

Are you sure it's slipping. These transmissions are essentially manual transmissions with automatic components.

SCJR

it shifts fine up until 3rd and 4th gear if I'm applying to much gas the car doesnt accelerate, the engine revs and the rpm needle goes up...i have to wait a few seconds and slowly apply gas for it to work...theres basically a lag in shifting and I can never apply full throttle...

Ganyon

Have you checked the trans fluid? It has probably never been changed.

SCJR

yeah my friend recommended that too we did the fluid change already and still no luck..are these just early symptoms of a failing tranny?

Ganyon

It could be. If the new fluid hasn't helped then I suggest looking for things to do a manual swap.

SCJR

yeah, everyone says its easier to sell a car and buy a manual...but I'd enjoy the experience of doing the swap and just came back from riding my bike for 3 months after getting my old ride jacked -_-..dont wanna go back to that haha...guess ill start saving up and searching for the parts.

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
Are you sure it's slipping. These transmissions are essentially manual transmissions with automatic components.
more then likely the 3rd and 4th gear clutches are gone and it needs to be rebuilt.

Aqualite_Solid

DB7 no Aston
is it slipping when u let of the gas and try to accelerate? Auto tegs are notorious about ghost shifts.. where it slips trying to select gears after letting of the gas that is normal...

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk2

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
is it slipping when u let of the gas and try to accelerate? Auto tegs are notorious about ghost shifts.. where it slips trying to select gears after letting of the gas that is normal...

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk2
Ive never had one ghost shift before, what you will feel though is the transmission downshifting, as it does function like a manual transmission, it will hold a gear and then drop to the next gear as your speed increases, and you can see the RPM's increase as it downshifts. You can tell what kind of condition the trans is in just by how long it takes to go between gears, if it feels like its lazy going into the next gear, thats a sign of worn clutches. It doesnt necessarily HAVE to slip for the clutches to be worn badly. Converter wear will typically wind up with a high stall speed. 3rd and 4th tend to wear faster because that is where the most load is on the highway. Those clutches have to be particularly stronger to hold the car moving at speed.

SCJR

sounds like it could be the clutches, 3rd and 4th take a while to kick in, and like I said if I'm giving it too much gas e.g. when I have to step on it as I'm entering the freeway the car feels like it goes into neutral, high rpms engine revving but not really going anywhere...it sucks!