B18A1 Turbo Transmission issue

T3GRA

Ok so only in second gear my transmission rattles sounds like someone is taking a wrench inside and banging it around... There is no driveability issues, no jerking, slipping, hesitation, ext. Theres alot of metal in my fluid... So my question is, what is causing this rattle? Im already figuring on replacing transmission my current trans is a YS1 stock in 93 LS Teg, i want to keep same gear ratios, but also what is the point of getting an LSD other then limited slip? Does it strengthen the trans? and what kind of LSD should i get with and LS YS1 trans? How hard is it to install LSD? I want to have a transmission that can hold 400+ HP and that will last. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
LSD does not strengthen trans. Its only deals with how the power is applied to the drive shafts. Trust me you want one.

T3GRA

Trust me im going to get an LSD but whats that rattle? What kind of LSD? How hard to install? Do i have to take trans all apart?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I've broke 4 of those trans since I built my motor. Synchros worn round, pieces of gears snapped off, these older ls cable trans seem much weaker from my experience. I'm hoping a newer hydraulic trans will fix the issues. My problems were the results of using Hondata full throttle shifts, since I cut that out it's been fine; I'm not sure what you're doing to ruin yours.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
T3GRA have you ever taken apart a transmission? It has to be completely taken apart. Its fairly complex. I would not attempt it myself.

T3GRA

I have not taken apart a transmission, i was just curious of the difculty. So if the older cable trans are weak, what kind of trans should i get? I want something with close to the same gear ratios.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
It's not too bad. You don't have to take the gear sets apart. Just need to get to the final drive to install the LSD.

T3GRA

Okay sounds good, what is a good LSD manufacture? and what trans should i use with close to the same gear ratios as the ls? GSR trans?