Flex hone grit/size help!

Alright I'm getting ready to buy a flex hone to de glaze my cylinder walls but I'm not %100 which one to get I read around and seen people are using 3-1/4 for a stock bore is this correct? Also what grit should I use helms calls for a 400 grit hone or should I follow whatever my rings say to give it (haistings) which idk yet what that grit would be this is a b18b1 going back to stock. Can anyone help me out here? this is my first build. Thanks in advance.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
180 grit flex hone is what honda recommends I think.

Anywhere between 180-240 is oem. Performance rings might require anywhere from 120 to 800.

Different flex hones are made out of specific materials for iron, aluminum, or nikasil blocks.

As for size, you want something bigger than your bore.

It won't fit but the large size is needed to apply proper even pressure 360 degrees.

You have to get the flex hone spinning and ram it in the bore.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a nikasil block to add but I'll call the machine shop and see what he has to say about it too I'll mention your recommendation if his isn't close

Nick_C78

Go by the rings for grit. Let me say this though, Unless you plan on doing several rebuilds it isn't worth buying a hone. Most machine shops only charge 10 dollars a cylinder. Meaning only 40 bucks to have it be done by a professional. Just a thought. I do my own honing, it isn't hard but if done wrong will cause the rings not to seat properly because they are jumping over ridges.

Your right I stopped and talked to my machine shop he wants 30 bucks to hone and gap my rings so I'm doing that for sure as soon as my rings are here I'm gonna drop it off

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Have em check roundeness of the cylinders, piston to wall clearance, and staightess of the deck.