Bad thermostat or what's going on??

GSR_ITR_BOIB

Temperature gauge not reading, radiator fan not kicking on, maybe bad thermostat???

Ok, so I have a 1994 Integra LS and I just did a complete JDM B18C Type R swap in it.

Today was the first time I fired it up, since purchasing it from HMotorsOnline. So, I put my oil in, tranny fluid, and filled the radiator up with coolant. I left the radiator cap off and started the car up. I let it idle for somewhere roughly between 10 and 15 minutes. The radiator burped a couple of times, but the fluid level didn't really go down all that much.

Another thing is, the temperature gauge never moved off of 'C'.

And another this is, the radiator fan never kicked on.

What's going on here? Is somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes not enough time to allow the thermostat to open? Help is much appreciated!

EDIT: The radiator is an EBay radiator, this one to be exact: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2ROW-FULL-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-12-FAN-MOUNTING-EG-EK-DC-/150656467660?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2313d342cc#ht_4141wt_1008

Thanks in advance!

- DJ

Last edited:

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
That should have definetly gotten it to Operating Temp. Sounds like either the T-Stat is open or there just isn't one in there. Fans wouldn't kick on if the Coolant Sensor never gets hot enough.
- Aaron

Ryan659

When I replaced my radiator hoses I had to turn on the temp control to hot and let it run on high.

reg_lus

Ok, but my temperature gauge still isn't reading. It didn't move off of the 'C' at all.
check the sensor next to your coolant hose below your distributor..(the one that looks like a needle pointing) either that is unplug or the wire is cut.

that's the problem i had and it was the sensor that came off.

GSR_ITR_BOIB

check the sensor next to your coolant hose below your distributor..(the one that looks like a needle pointing) either that is unplug or the wire is cut.

that's the problem i had and it was the sensor that came off.
If that's the problem, would that also be the reason that my rad fan isn't kicking on?

reg_lus

If that's the problem, would that also be the reason that my rad fan isn't kicking on?
The radiator fan won't come on unless the motor is too hot, then it will come on to cool it down. If you want the fan to spin the whole time, bypass the sensor where your thermostat is at, then the fan should be spinning the whole time, but doing that will drain battery out very fast if you dont have the engine running.

unless you didnt plug in the fan sensor, then it fail to work.

EDIT: The fan issue is different from your temperature issue but they are related though

Last edited:

GSR_ITR_BOIB

Ok, I'm going to check that sensor right now. Another question I have, though, is, how long, from a completely cold start up, would it take for the thermostat to open? Thanks!

GSR_ITR_BOIB

Ok, here's an update! I feel like an idiot even posting this, but I suppose I have to lol.

So, turns out that I had the radiator hoses hooked up backwards :oops:, so I had the bottom radiator hose running to the thermostat, and the top radiator hose hooked up as the return line.

That being said, could that possibly be why my temperature gauge and radiator fan didn't kick on, as well as the thermostat not opening?

reg_lus

Ok, here's an update! I feel like an idiot even posting this, but I suppose I have to lol.

So, turns out that I had the radiator hoses hooked up backwards :oops:, so I had the bottom radiator hose running to the thermostat, and the top radiator hose hooked up as the return line.

That being said, could that possibly be why my temperature gauge and radiator fan didn't kick on, as well as the thermostat not opening?
The BOTTOM radiator hose goes to the THERMOSTAT.
The UPPER radiator hose goes the the HEAD CYLINDER. (you wont miss it)
Yours is correct. Do not change it.

Takes about 5 MIN for regular warm up

EmminoDaGreaT

After Letting it run, make sure the temperature of the lower hose is warm, and the upper hose is also warm. This will ensure that the thermostat is working. If its ICE cold, its usually stuck, or not fully open yet. (air in system etc)

GSR_ITR_BOIB

The BOTTOM radiator hose goes to the THERMOSTAT.
The UPPER radiator hose goes the the HEAD CYLINDER. (you wont miss it)
Yours is correct. Do not change it.

Takes about 5 MIN for regular warm up
Ok, well if that's the case, then yes, I did have the hoses right. If it takes about 5 minutes for regular warm up, then the temperature gauge is most definitely not working. Hopefully I can find out why.

After Letting it run, make sure the temperature of the lower hose is warm, and the upper hose is also warm. This will ensure that the thermostat is working. If its ICE cold, its usually stuck, or not fully open yet. (air in system etc)
I will have to check that in both hoses tomorrow. I had the car running with the radiator cap off, to make sure most of the air, if there was any, would get out. But, the coolant in the radiator didn't seem to go down much at all, if any, which leads me to believe the thermostat is bad.

reg_lus

Ok, well if that's the case, then yes, I did have the hoses right. If it takes about 5 minutes for regular warm up, then the temperature gauge is most definitely not working. Hopefully I can find out why.

I will have to check that in both hoses tomorrow. I had the car running with the radiator cap off, to make sure most of the air, if there was any, would get out. But, the coolant in the radiator didn't seem to go down much at all, if any, which leads me to believe the thermostat is bad.
Though if the thermostat is bad it would over heat. Try changing cluster with another to see if it works (Quick solution)