B18A1 head on a B18B1 block?

Prozon

Kris
So I just bought this B18B1 and it appears I have a bad head. I have to get it checked at the machine shop, but it was either the head or the head gasket.. and the gasket doesn't look bad.

So if this head IS cracked, could I take my B18A1 head and install it on the motor to get this thing going?!
From what i've read, there is only like a 2hp difference between a '93 B18A1 and a B18B1.. so it wouldn't really matter right?

Thanks.

Zero Fighter

MAKE'em SAY UUUHHhhhhh...
you willl be fine....it doesnt matter. Please double check everthing after you are finished before starting it up. IMO

Prozon

Kris
Zero Fighter, what did you mean by "Double check everything" ?

So what exactly are the differences of a B18A1 and B18B1...? I noticed the block has a coolant passage that the A1 doesn't.. but that was about it.

Zero Fighter

MAKE'em SAY UUUHHhhhhh...
Zero Fighter, what did you mean by "Double check everything" ? .
Like if the coolant lines on the head are on tight and going the correct direction, check for loose bolts, ground. just the regular stuff. I am saying its just easy sometime to overlook these things. I hope you get it worked out and get to drive your car buddy.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
Thank you everyone for the replies.

However I will not have to worry about it, I took my head to a machine shop in Olympia called Chitwood. It was slightly warped in the center, he machined it and the head is all good now. (Plus it's really shiny.)

I will be heading out to the shop in a few minutes to put the engine together. Unless I get really sleepy I should be running the car down the street tonight. :)