ls vtec... what head? gsr or b16

mirrorimg

Probably because they are more common and easier to find.

B18C5 head is my choice.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
The B16 and Type R motors flow the best out of all the B-series and are just flat out better. They are the only b series motors made with performance in mind.

And i would go with a Type R head if you have the money and can get one, but a b16 is jist as good if yoi can find a Type R

Last edited:

mirrorimg

The B16 and Type R motors flow the best out of all the B-series and are just flat out better. They are the only b series motors made with performance in mind.

And i would go with a Type R head if you have the money and can get one, but a b16 is jist as good if yoi can find a Type R
Go look at some flow benches. There is minimal difference between the B18C1 and B16. Maybe you are thinking ITR and CTR.

whats the diffence from the b16 or the b18c5 head? what hits vtec sooner and what can tack out higher
The C5 head has porting from the factory, more aggressive cams, and upgraded valvetrain (valves, springs, and retainers) over B18C1 heads.

jdean41

if u do the b16 head your gonna redline at about 9000 where the b16 redlines.But you also have to get the ecu to match it. You will have alot more top end with the b16 as well. Im about to do the ls vtec build myself. You have to alter the block and head to make it work. Its alot of work especially if your like me and dont have a shop to do it in, but its so worth it. I drove my friends ls vtec, with a b16 tranny and ecu and only bolt on mods and stage 2 clutch and it pulled HARD. good building to you.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i would go with a b18c1 head. For the following reasons.
Assuming you use a stock head with stock cams the LS pistons paired with the gsr head will have a compression of about 10:1 which is usdm gsr comp so you dont really need a tune, you could get away with using a p72 ecu.

obrienintegra18

93 ls

i would go with the b18c gsr head its easier and cheaper to find the type r head is over priced and hard to find and if you really want to you could always get type r cams for the gsr head or ctr cams

jdean41

The b16 head is the highest flowing of the b series. Im going with the b16a2 r. Its gonna put me at about 205 to the wheels with my bolt ons, The gsr head is good if u wanna come off the line a little quicker but im all about top speed yo!!!!!