Misfiring teggy

1998dc4

My mechanic can't figure it out he's been in the business for 20 years ... The whole ignition system was replaced timing belt and water pump valves adjusted fuel filter was done he checked the injectors everything ... Except he didnt check the 02 sensors . He must hve not thought about that . And I replaced the cat today .. So if I check the 02 sensor what am I looking for? Can I clean it? Cuz I can't afford another at this time I'm broke . I just got hired at Taco Bell it's ironic cuz I can't even make it to work so I can buy new 02 sensors smh... Btw the car doenst smoke at all but does have a lot carbon build up on the tip of muffler and the muffler goes ba ba ba ba ba ba

Last edited:

enoch723

Soon as I read you watched scotty kilmer I stopped reading.

First off putting a little paint thinner can help your cat like im sure he says in the video. But he probably doesnt point out how much. In a small amount it shouldnt hurt much. But if you put enough in there your can really mess things up. Its designed to strip bonding chemicals.. Not combust..

Second dont ever listen to scotty kilmer. Im sure he is a great mechanic in person but there is a reason his videos are so short.. And thats because they are short films for pointers. Not full jobs. If you have to resort to the internet to figure something out, refer to forums like this one.
If your you visual person like I am, try checking out ericthecarguy instead. he will show you and explain to why everything is happening.

Third. DONT EVER USE HOME CHEMICALS IN YOUR CAR. There is a reason automotive chemicals are seperate from home chemicals. Honestly what I would do is run seafoam through your system and do a full tune up. And I mean plugs, wires, filters, EVERYTHING you can.

Good luck.

enoch723

Just read your last post. Replace both o2 sensors..

There is a thin coat of something(i dont know what) on the O2 to "protect" it from the heated air flow. Chances are you stripped it off and it burned out. Do you have a check engine light now?

1998dc4

Yea check engine is still on its always flashing

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
A flashing CEL is from a misfire. Whenever the car has a misfire, the CEL will flash a few times.
The sound from the exhaust is a backfire.
The carbon build up is probably from the backfires or running rich (too much fuel in the air/fuel ratio).
The o2 sensors are probably bad and this will cause the car to run rich.
The fuel pressure regulator may have been damaged.

I'm kinda surprised nobody mentioned the injectors. Many paint/lacquer thinners dissolve plastics and rubbers. The thinner may have damaged your injectors.

1998dc4

Mechanic said injecotrs were fine but ill check again... I took off primary 02 sensor it's super black can I clean it by burning off the carbon and alcahol?........ Also when I unscrew the fuel rail and crank the car are the injectors supposed to squirt? Cuz they dnt

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Cleaning it probably won't do any good, if they don't work then you just gotta replace them.
It's normal for them to be black, they are constantly surrounded by exhaust. Just as the inside of the exhaust pipe gets black, the o2 sensors will also get black.

If you do clean them, don't use alcohol. Use a carb cleaner and make sure to completely dry them out.

And your injectors should spray.

1998dc4

Just barely put in fresh spark plugs ngk the cheaper ones... Drive back home took then out to look at them and they already had a like a white powder look is that normal??? The injectors seem to work when I disconnect the electrical plug they respond ... If my fuel pump was bad would I get cel? I'm positive now this has to be fuel related problem

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
While this does sound like a fuel delivery problem, it does not sound like a problem with the fuel pump.
You would not get a CEL from a bad fuel pump. You can test the pump to by seeing if it is building any fuel pressure.
One cheap way to do it is to carefully loosen the banjo bolt on top of the fuel filter then tightening it back up. Turn the key to the ACC position for a few seconds then turn it off. Loosening the banjo bolt again should result in a pressure release containing fuel (good idea to put a rag or something on top of the filter to block the spray)
You should also test what the fuel pressure, if any, actually is.
You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to the ACC position.

1998dc4

Ok I took off the fuel rail and cranked the car trying turning it on for about 3 seconds but know of the injectors sprayed at all are they clogged

1998dc4

Ok I took off the fuel rail and cranked the car trying turning it on for about 3 seconds but none of the injectors sprayed at all are they clogged? Could te paint thinner have caused this plus I would always drive on E heard that let's in dirt more oftern

1998dc4

Problem RESOLved it was two injecotrs that were cracked and clogged I replaced them now car runs like new :)))))