wanting to build my 89 teg?

grinch

I'm having some trouble with my dohc d16a1. its all stock from what i can tell the problem is in the head. now my question is i know the 1st gens hecame with ls motors too. can i put a ls head on a d16a1 block. and if so can i still put the zc cams. in it?

enoch723

First, welcome.
Second, all of these can be found with the search
third, the rs and ls are the same engines. The only difference is the rs(86 and 87) are vac advance and the ls(88 and 89) are electronic advance.

But yes you can take zc cams and its a direct swap for the d16. adds maybe 10-15hp, but the main gain is the power band really opens up

grinch

Thanks yea i found the zc cam swap on here but i thought the ls and rs had different motor which would explain why i couldnt find it on here.. every thing i learned was on 95's sohc civic so these are slighty different for me.. but thanks for the reply.

enoch723

No the rs and ls both have a d16a1, only the advancing is different. Yeah people think the cam swap is difficult but they really arent. They are actually direct swaps without needing to do anything other then timing and valve lash. Some people say you need to put the exhaust cam a tooth off, but as long as your engine is actually running and advancing correctly then you dont need to do anything other then standard timing and valve lash

Bradyn8100

No the rs and ls both have a d16a1, only the advancing is different. Yeah people think the cam swap is difficult but they really arent. They are actually direct swaps without needing to do anything other then timing and valve lash. Some people say you need to put the exhaust cam a tooth off, but as long as your engine is actually running and advancing correctly then you dont need to do anything other then standard timing and valve lash
I am totally agree with you. You are 100% good here that they are actually direct swaps without requiring to do anything other then timing and valve lash. And you do not need to do anything other than standard timing and device lash.

ava-tieman.com

Last edited:

oscar112709

Banned
I'm having some trouble with my dohc d16a1. its all stock from what i can tell the problem is in the head. now my question is i know the 1st gens hecame with ls motors too. can i put a ls head on a d16a1 block. and if so can i still put the zc cams. in it?
I have 91 rich 1.8 but will like to swap heads to vtec? Seeing that everybody has 93 to 96

phatintegra

Banned
I almost bought a 89 teg was planing to do a turbo k swap. Saw so much underneath rust cancer.