94 Integra shakes...occasionally

andrewwski

I have a 94 Integra RS, 2 door, 4 speed auto transmission.

For awhile now, at least since last winter, the car will occasionally shake. It seems to be coming from the front, I think toward the driver side tire.

It's an intermittent shake, usually pretty moderate, although very occasionally it will get somewhat strong. It never happens when the car is started cold - usually doesn't happen unless the car has been running at least 25 minutes.

Generally, it'll shake when trying to accelerate but also when going at a steady speed, coasting, and stopping. It'll usually start with accelerating, usually from a stop, I don't really notice it when accelerating while already moving. It'll shake for awhile, not only when accelerating but when coasting and braking as well. Generally I can feel it the most when braking.

Most of the time it will go away after stopping though. If it shakes and I come to a full stop, it'll drive fine afterward, unless it happens again later.

Once or twice awhile ago it was somewhat stronger and lasted until I shut the car off and let it cool down. When I got out of the car it seemed that heat was being radiated from the front driver side wheel. This was a very rare occurrence, however - it has not happened in about 5 or 6 months.

At first I was thinking rotors, but it doesn't seem like it should be rotors if it's happening when I'm not braking. The rotors aren't old - maybe a year and a half. I haven't checked, but I don't think they should be the problem.

Any ideas? It's not a huge issue so far - it has not gotten worse and is pretty moderate, seems to go away on its own. But nevertheless I'd rather not make things worse. It's not worth putting a whole lot of money into the car, and I'm pretty set on driving it into the ground one way or another. I don't drive more than 200-300 miles a month anyway.

Check the easy things first: check out the tires for abnormal wear and separated belts, then get them balanced, have the rotors checked for warping(technically they are supposed to have .002" or less radial run out), check the hub bearings, etc.

99sil-teg

Jointhe Wingless Movement
Check the easy things first: check out the tires for abnormal wear and separated belts, then get them balanced, have the rotors checked for warping(technically they are supposed to have .002" or less radial run out), check the hub bearings, etc.
This

My first guess would be rotors though

andrewwski

Thanks. Will check the rotors first. Tire tread is fairly worn but very even and tires are in good shape otherwise. Probably will replace them next year.

Hub bearings are a good thought - are they supposed to be greased? If so, that probably hasn't been done in years.

Jclint_

99 integra.

I know this was awhile ago but did the shaking ever go away when you changed rotors and/or hub bearing because im having the same problem. shaking when i get to about 50mph and get worse. Axels changed, balanced tires, shook the front wheels left to right and up and down. no movement so don't thnk its tie rods or ball joints. Any hekp?

Jclint_

Engine mounts? Haven't checked. Can that also cause shaking? And it doesn't shake while braking.