94 Integra LS Dies, Cranks, No Start !!! Please Help!

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Once again, my integra died on me the other night randomly as it did before. It died on me coming home from a soccer game stopping at a stop sign. Like before, it cranks but won't start. Luckily it was only a street away from my house and I was able to push it home. Replaced the MAIN RELAY as suggested from the previous post. Drove it for about a week until it died again the other night. It was a unusual hot for the day for October in Minnesota. Kept it in the garage to cool off and tried starting it the other day...still cranks but won't start. Any suggestions on whats wrong. ICM? If so, where is it located? Please HELP !!! Running out of money and patience with the car. :lol:

db1love

The Ignition Control Module (ICM) is a common part to fail. When they get old they get heat sensitive. That is to say when they get hot, they stop working. Then when they cool off, they will start working again. By the time you give up getting it started and get it towed to the shop, the technician will go out and it will start right up for him.

This would apply to the Main EFI Relay located under the dash, near the brake pedal. But the Main Relay usually craps out when the car has been parked in the sun for a while and the interior of the car heats up. In this case opening the door and letting it cool off gets it working for a while.

However, when ignition coils go bad, they stay bad. The Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP), Camshaft Position Sensor (CYP) and Top Dead Center (TDC) are prone to going bad as well.

Based on what you describe, my opinion would be a bad ICM. But I can't rule out a bad distributor either.

SOURCE- autorepair.about.com

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
If it dies randomly, it might be a vacuum leak somewhere. My buddy's car wouldn't start and we figured out it was a seized tensioner pulley. It seized and through the timing off. I'm not real sure. I assume you were told to check the spark system (spark plugs, wires, dizzy) ? if not, check them. Might be a bad ground somewhere.

I don't know, I'll post more suggestions if I think of any. It's pretty early for me so I'm out of it.

JDMMilanoRedDC2

Could also be a Fuel Pump Relay. Mine would die on me in hot weather, just to start like a half hour later when the sun would start to go down. One easy way to tell is to turn the car onto the "ON" position without trying to start it. The check engine light should come on (along with others), when it goes out you should simultaneously hear a click coming from under the dashboard. If you don't hear the clicking sound when the Check Engine light goes out, you have a bad Fuel Pump Relay. My '90 would just crank, no start, popped in a new one from Acura and it fired right up.

FreshGSR

JDM Enthusiast
Check spark... check fuel(smell fuel when cranking? Take out fuel relay to check spark so you don't dump fuel into your oil. If you've done this already, then when you fix this problem, change oil.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
94 Integra LS Fuel Pump Relay

Can someone please direct me to where the FUEL PUMP RELAY is located on the 94 Integra LS ?

JDMMilanoRedDC2

I *think* it's down near the hood pull lever by the drivers left foot. I'm not real sure on this as I replaced one in a DA9 that was right under the steering column (I think they are in different places from DA to DC). Can anyone else verify the location on the DC's?

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Is the FUEL PUMP RELAY the same as the MAIN RELAY- which I replaced already before it died again???... My car still CRANKS but NO START.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
94 Integra LS Dies...Cranks, No Start.

Is the FUEL PUMP RELAY the same as the MAIN RELAY- which I replaced already before it died again???... My car still CRANKS but NO START.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
94 Integra LS Dies...Cranks, No Start.

Okay...Main relay replaced (is this the same as the FUEL PUMP RELAY?). Finally tested for sparks...NO SPARKS??? What next?

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
ICM & Ignition Coil Replacement....???

Anyone have actually pictures of taking apart and replacing a ICM or Ignition Coil since I have no idea how to. Any type of help is greatly appreciated...trying to learn and replace it myself due to hard time with money instead of taking it to the shop. Once again thanks for all the help.

5StarCord

Knice... sound s as if me and you are in the same boat here. I've have a 96 LS and it has the same systems, except mine will start after cooling down.

I replaced the main relay/fuel relay which is located down in the driver left kick panel on mine.. it didn't resolve it.

So the next step is the ICM and if that doesn't resolve it, guess the ECU.

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Oh 5Star you have the same issue on yours too did yours died on you while you are driving???...Yeah, I replaced main relay...ran for a week died while driving. Replaced the ignition coil cause of no sparks. Ran for a week died again while driving. I just replaced the ICM 2 days ago...I'll see how long it'll run until it dies again. After this I'm not sure what's is causing my random dying. ECU???...is that the computer located passenger side panel? Did you replaced the ECU and it solved your issue? Doesn't the ECU cost a lot like $100+? I'm all new to car repair never tried to repair a car before until now due to money.

Last edited: