GSR 1/4 run

WesleySPK

Hey guys,
I just took my 99' GSR to the drag strip the other night, ran it a few times, and managed to get a 16.9 for my best 1/4 mile. Only mods are cold air intake and exhaust. It has 155k on the original engine, and was taken extremely good care of before i bought it a few months back. Truthfully, for the mileage this teggy has on it, this car runs terrifically.

Anyways, afterwards i looked up some other stock GSR 1/4 times, and they're all getting below 15's at least, some 14's, with lower elevation, and some with absolutely no mods. I believe I got a decent launch, and shifted at about 8k rpm's. I live up in CO, so elevation is pretty high up here (5280), and this was my first time at the track, so obviously there's some room for improvement.

My question to you guys is: how much do you think the elevation+the miles on the engine affect the time? Here's a vid of my best time, i apologize for the tricky angle.

Any tips are appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOkhzpAgLnA

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
you mentioned it was your first time? Maybe you need more practice? I was gonna let someone else comment, but I just thought I'd say, that truck smoked you.. lol

Jvest

*GET SHOOK*
Not trying to be an ass but IMO u could pick up quite a bit of time with a better launch and if I'm
Not mistaken that sounded like rev limiter in first??

Alvi84

If your a mostly stock engine don't take your GsR up to 8k rpm before shifting. You're not making any more power up that high than if you were to shift around 7600rpm. What kind of tires are you on? Some cheap-o's or a reputable tire? What was the track conditions that day? What PSI were you running in the front tires? What size tires and rim do you have? A bunch of small things will help to improve your 1/4 mile time.

98gsrDc2

stolen....
was that a chase truck that smoked u? wow 16.9...my gsr is just bolt ons and i ran a 14.94 at englishtown...

hgocasca

level 77 troll
First off, you need to come to our mile high Integra meets, it's a must. Second, that's about average for integras up here, I ran 17.2 in my ls da9, and just recently ran 17.1 in my b17 swapped da9, 2400lbs fully loaded, ls trans, regular dd tire pressure, bolt ons, and I'm an experienced driver.

On a side note, you should come to the meet tonight, rep club Integra with us

WesleySPK

If your a mostly stock engine don't take your GsR up to 8k rpm before shifting. You're not making any more power up that high than if you were to shift around 7600rpm. What kind of tires are you on? Some cheap-o's or a reputable tire? What was the track conditions that day? What PSI were you running in the front tires? What size tires and rim do you have? A bunch of small things will help to improve your 1/4 mile time.
Ok, thanks, that helps. I was actually wondering whether it's better to shift at 7600 or 8k. And this is my daily commute, i have done nothing to it myself but put in a stereo and regular oil changes. So as far as i know the tires are very average, and i actually am a little behind on rotating them. I didn't check the PSI, and the tires are 15's. Thanks again.

WesleySPK

First off, you need to come to our mile high Integra meets, it's a must. Second, that's about average for integras up here, I ran 17.2 in my ls da9, and just recently ran 17.1 in my b17 swapped da9, 2400lbs fully loaded, ls trans, regular dd tire pressure, bolt ons, and I'm an experienced driver.

On a side note, you should come to the meet tonight, rep club Integra with us
I'm glad to hear that, and yeah i might be able to, where do you guys meet?

WesleySPK

Not trying to be an ass but IMO u could pick up quite a bit of time with a better launch and if I'm
Not mistaken that sounded like rev limiter in first??
No worries, my last run i actually wasn't my fastest launch, i just shifted really quick. And no haha i would never take my car to rev limiter, i'm pretty scared of blowing it up, there was an si racing that rode that limiter, he was probably behind me ;p.

And yes, every truck there i think ran below 15's, but keep in mind we're at 5280 elevation.

04caliwrx

the launch was not the best, you might need better tires also. I know that my sti and gsr both feel a lot slower at my place in tahoe, 6,200ft then they do in the sf bay. Also you don't need to shift at 8k in the gsr they stop making power after 7200rpm, I shift at 7600 and can ran a 15.7 my first run

njhustler

I was at the track not too long ago and ran a crappy 16.0 . I spun tires on lauch and then shifted early going from 2-3 and fell out of vtec (vcis). Your right about not making more power at 8k rpm , but you kinda need to so you can keep your rpms up. My car car has way more pull from 6k up. On my run i shifted 2nd at 7600 and in 3rd it went down to 5200. I think its why i ran 16 cause i was neck n neck with the other car until 2-3 and he ran a 14.66.

WesleySPK

Well if i hit the track again, i'll try shifting at 7.6k instead. And yeah better tires would probably make a better time as well, but i don't have the desire to get new tires just for a better time. I was just curious what would have changed my time the most, but i don't feel like spending 900$ on replacing a clutch anytime soon haha.

WesleySPK

But thanks all, i might take it to the track soon one more night, see how low i can get my time. I don't even worry about competition, a stock GS-R won't give many cars there a run for their money, it's flooded with STI'S, old muscle cars, corvettes, and sleeper cars. Everyone there obviously sank some $ into their engines, but it's still fun anyways.