DIY: Removing Pinstripes From Cars

G3GirL

UUUHHHH-OOOOHHHHHHH...!!!
Since my teg didn't come with a pinstripe (thank god lol), I don't know if the pinstripes on our Integras are painted on or are decals. Either way, I thought it'd be useful to post a DIY Pinstripe Removal since they're ugly anyway. It should work with any car.

Painted on:
1) Get Easy-Off (yes, the oven cleaner).

2) Mask off everything else and work about two feet at a time on the pinstripe.

3) Spray on Easy-Off and let it soak for about a minute. The pinstripes should come off easily at this point.

4) Wipe off with a damp cloth.

5) Spray water on car when done to prevent any unnecessary discoloration.

^ I did that on a '91 Lexus with painted on pinstripes. Clear coat was still in great condition afterwards. You aren't leaving the Easy-Off on long enough to mess up the clear coat.

Decal:

1) Heat up the pinstripe with a blow dryer. The adhesive should start giving way after a few tries. Don't heat it up too much or it'll start making your paint chip.

2) Start peeling the stripe away, trying to keep it at a 90 degree angle. Keep heating up the next part you are going to be working with. If you don't have long nails, try something plastic that you can scrape with, without scratching the paint. I have long nails, so whatever. :p

3) Remove any excess adhesive with Goo Gone (what I used on a different car) or WD-40.

** The pinstripes might not come off right away when you're taking a blow dryer to it because it's so old. Let it soak in WD-40 for about 10 minutes before attempting to peel it back.

4) Rinse car to remove any cleaner that can potentially mess up your clear coat.

I think I've pretty much covered it. Hopefully someone else didn't make a DIY on this first. Hope this helps somebody.

G3GirL

1999civicsi said:
mines painted on :( i want it off..maybe ill try this
lol I would. I'm not a fan of pinstripes on cars. If you're worried about what it will do to your paint, just try it on a small section first. It really shouldn't mess with the clear coat at all, though.

G3GirL

Kuchtaboy said:
dumb ho! You texted me asking how to do this last night!!! lol!
fuck you, fag. quit talking shit in all these random threads. i'm trying to post something useful.

all i asked you was if you knew whether the pinstripes on our tegs were painted on or not since mine didn't come with it. it was a simple question. i didn't ask you how to do it. get over yourself, please.

teg9five

a.k.a. crabs!
G3GirL said:
lol I would. I'm not a fan of pinstripes on cars. If you're worried about what it will do to your paint, just try it on a small section first. It really shouldn't mess with the clear coat at all, though.
shouldnt hurt anything... detailers use oven cleaner all the time on cars to get line paint from the roads off of them

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
i got one, but if i remove it, im gonna have pink paint with red stripes... oxidation FTMFL!