Cams and pistons =\ Need help asap

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
So my rods dont match with pistons so I'm going wiseco pistons.

I'm gonna upgrade my cams from Type-R to either Buddy Club 4 or Skunk2 stage 2's

Anyone got feedback on which better? Last longer? Better Power? Works better with ITR valves? I do have skunk2 springs and retainers.

I need help fast, I'm currently rebuilding motor and need to make up mind asap.

Also, is my piston choice okay?

steelies_ftw

choosing a part to put on ur car is like choosing socks to wear, it all depends on what your gonna do in them and also the brand name (weisco skunk 2 blah blah blah) you need to figure out what you are looking for and make sure your socks match your whole outfit, and they have to fit your body too, so you should look more at the compression, stroke, cam duration, lift, all of the technical aspects to make sure they all compliment each other, now all the brand names, well yea your gonna want stuff to be lookin good and be there when you want to smash off no matter what day it is

steelies_ftw

o yea sorry for the lecture, but uhm going with some buddy club stage 3 and some 12-1 or 11.8-1 compression and ur itr vavles are fine, but i hope you have some better bolt ons to feed ur motor and make sure it can shit as well as it eats

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Two great posts, steelies.:)

BC 4's and S2S2's have identical intake and exhaust lift, but the BC's have slightly more duration. Increasing duration moves peak HP and peak TQ to a higher RPM. The actual value of both also increases. But with the dimensions between the two so close, I guess I'd just go with the Skunks since you already have their valvetrain. Unless you can get the BC's for way cheaper, I'd think the Skunk valvetrain will work for those just fine too.
But also if you can, find out what their compression requirements to create power at their peak ability are, and get the cams that are closer to the compression you'll be running.
ITR valves will be fine with either cam, valves don't have much of a direct relationship to cams, though the shape of the valve has an effect on peak flow @ given RPM, and you want a cam profile that works with/compliments that, but with these 2 cams so alike I wouldn't be too concerned with that right now. I wouldn't worry about that level of work until I was at the P&P stage of modding.
Wiseco's are good pistons, I have those. Just get a piston that will give you the compression you require for your cams (and allow you to still run on pump gas, I'm sure you want to keep on doing that, lol), that's more important than the brand name, but don't go dirt cheap of course, just stick with the reputable names.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
A buddy told me this:

"doesnt matter what vavles need to stick with OEM.. bc if you bend a valve 0EM will BEND.. vs after market which tend to shatter thus pistion hitting the valve and going BOOM

iof you are going to go buddy club and skunk 2 racing cam you need to upgrade the whole valve train with their springs and retainers. If theres enought oil to lube the camshalf (which there would be) then they will all last the same. As far as I know Skunk 2 takes the OEM cams and regrinds them to make their cams. IPS and some other people (not sure if buddy club does this or not. But they take a fully BLANK cam and cut/ machine their own cams vs using honda, like skunk 2 does."

I have plenty of bolt on's and more to come steelie.

Only thing is I don't have much time so this will be a rushed decision.
Pistons= CP=11.5:1 81mm

I gotta go to work, visit my GSR thread to view rest of my setup if you could to see what would flow best =)

My motor is currently being rebuilt and that's why it's rushed.

steelies_ftw

yea i wasnt biting your head off or trying to sound smart, just puttin my two cents in, hey does anyone kno any easier way to get rid ofall my shit i have on my for sale thread on here, cuz i really dont need it, seeing how im moving out, i have pics of everything (thread jack hah) but i would just read up on how duration and lift and cam lobe this and that affect flow, but 11.8-1 is a pretty familiar compression so if you look around you'll find a lot of other builds, and porting the head out will help out a bit but its kinda like a last resort to squeeze out those last ponies

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
NGK Plugs
MSD 8.5 Wires
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Gasket Set
Integra Type R B series Piston Kit w/Rings
Honda Integra type R intake valves
SKUNK2 VALVE SPRINGS & TITANIUM RETAINERS B SERIES
HONDATA S200 PROGRAM
SKUNK2 PRO SERIES CAM GEARS
Password: JDM Cam Seal
ARP (208-4303) Head Stud Kit
Integra Type R Camshafts

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
ITR cams? I thought you were going with either BC's or Skunks.
ITR intake valves, then what are the exhaust valves?
Upgrading the rods isn't necessary, but it won't hurt.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
Upgrading from the eagle rods???

Yeah, this was my setup, pre figuring out pistons and rods won't match up.

I'm going with Skunk2 Stage 2 cams and Wiseco pistons.
ITR valves all around.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I mean upgrading the rods for the sole sake of adding rod stregnth for all motor build isn't necessary 99% of the time, but if you need to do it to get the pistons you want to use into the engine, or to achieve a specific rod/stroke ratio your aiming for, then it's all good.

My Wiseco's fit onto my stock GSR rods:

Your build looks good though. What is your I/H/C/E setup?

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I'd switch over to a short ram intake....better than a CAI for increasing high rpm intake air volume and better high rpm throttle response. Or a Comptech SRI w/ the Ice Box, best of both worlds. The high rpm advantages of a SRI while still drawing cold air at all rpm's.
Time to step up to a 2.5 inch exhaust too.

Keep us up on the build progress.