Gauge Cluster bulb out?

Ghettokracker71

LS/Vturd
Yep, I got a light out in my gauge cluster blew. I'm wondering how hard it is to replace said bulb,and if its worth it just to replace the other bulbs whiel I'm in there so I don't have to worry about it (should be a cheap bulb??)

I need to know,...

HOw many bulbs light the backlight (the one thats out, I can't see my speedo past 100mph,and my gas gauge.so the far right hand side of the cluster.) ??

What size bulb(s) are they?(e.g. 921 or something.)

How do I get in there to replace them(and put it backtogether)?

5 screws and 3 main bulbs,
remove the 2 screws that hold the bezel trim on (directly above steering wheel) pull the bezel and you will see 3 more screws (1 on each side of cluster and one above the steering wheel). remove those and pull the cluster out. It's extremely easy to remove, just dont drop the screws.

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Yes, all the screws to remove the cluster are phillips head.

The bulbs in the guage cluster are the same kind that are in the corner lenses in the front bumper, the smaller bulb. It's a very common size, they'll be sold at any parts store. They aern't some wacky size that you can only get at Honda for $5 each, lol (like the center console bulb for a 88-91 Civic).

Ghettokracker71

LS/Vturd
Hahaha,...Sweet. I get a discount at Napa and Carquest (w00t for work) so I'll pick up the bulbs I was just hoping somebody'd know the number

The_Anima7or

The Rook
Peep this fellow club buddies, ok, when i pulled out my 3 main gauge cluster bulbs, they read "158" on them, so i supposed that i need to use the mini-wedge base 158's to replace with LEDs of the same set up, like here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html
the first box at the top, the WLED miniature wedge base bubls. im getting these (WLED-x) for my 3 main dash lights. i have one problem though, there is a smaller bulb in the center of the gauge cluster that is i guess the middle 'main' bulb, but its smaller than the 158 bulbs on the outsides, there are 2 on the side with the fuel gauge, one is clear to light up the low gas light, the big one right next to it is used for the gas gauge itself and the right side of the speedometer, the far right main light is used for the temp gauge and the left side of the RPM, but there is a smaller main bulb that is dead center of the backside of the gauge cluster, and im guessing that lights up the right side of RPM's and left side of the Speedometer. but see, i dunno what size that small bulb is! i want to replace all my 3 main bulbs to blue LEDs (i wanted to do red, but there is that blue light bar type thing on the top of the gauge cluster, there is a bulb with a wire going to the top of the gauge cluster to a blue bar, ive never seen my teggy at night lit up, so i dunno how bright it is or anything, but would anybody happen to know the size for the small center main bulb? i want to switch it to an LED as well. just cant get the little blue cover off of it without ripping it apart since i guess the heat bakes it onto the light(?)

*correction: the bulb that has the wire going from it to the light bar on top of the cluster i think lights up the left side of the Speedo, and provides power to the light bar on top.. anybody happen to know what size that bulb is too? since it is smaller than the other small main bulb

My bad, i know this is a 3rd Gen thread, but when i googled this problem, this link came up to the CI site, and i just decided to go ahead and ask my question 8)

Last edited:

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
168 is the same as 194 but brighter. For main 3 bulbs, you need 194 size, I used neowedge X5,it speads the led light more. now for other bulbs your screwd,only place I know to get those is acura. And last time I bought one they were $4.

I'm sorry but for a guy that works at nappa and can't look what size bulb your car is sad

The_Anima7or

The Rook
try this, i went to the local auto zone to get some thread locker for a different project, and took a peek at the replacement bulbs, and saw some small bulbs that look about the same size, and have the same connection, look at some 24LL (sylvania brand LL=long life) they looked like the replacement bulb for my small center main light, and the status light bulbs (blinker, BRAKE light, etc) seems to be a 74LL. its a very small bulb, and has the same connection as well. im pretty sure these are the replacement bulbs for these.. just a thought, try looking at them next time you are around replacement bulbs at napa

The_Anima7or

The Rook
alright my fellow Club pals, i seemed to have found those small bulb LEDs on super bright LEDs website, they are what i saw, they have LEDs to replace the 24 and 74 bulbs. wow, you can get LEDs for the status lights too lol super bright blinker light!