How-To: Fill Stock motor mounts with Urethane

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
Basically what Im going to show you is a cheap way to fill a torn, worn out motor mount. Im sure alot of people know how to or have a basic knowledge on it.

This is a great and cheap alternative for stiffer motor mounts using stock mounts and urethane from any parts store.

Materials
Cardboard
Caulk gun
popsicle stick
motor mouns
Windsheild Urethane

1. I would recommend you get a spare set from a junk yard or forum. Unless you can afford your car being down for a few days while they cure

2. Go to Napa, Autozone, etc and get some Windsheild Urethane, Around $15 for a tube, Youll only need one if you do it right.

3. Get your mounts ( im showing you on 1st gen neon mounts, 2 motor mounts and 1 trans. mount)
Cut the end off the tip for the urethane to make the hole larger.
Start pressing into mounts, making you sure you fill to reduce the amount of air bubbles.

4. Once filled, tap the mounts on a hard surface to knock some air out.. Use the popsicle stick to smooth out the urethane

5. Once they are all filled, set out to air dry. Itll take at least 30 days for this to fully sure, but I say after 5 days, put them in the car. Vibrations will be increased, but not dramatically.

Questions? Ask

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
what benefit will stiffer mounts give me exaclty?

solehead714

Think about it solid motor mounts. It reduces engine "flex" or movement, meaning when u rev the engine doesn't move. There are 3 levels 1-oem 2-street/track and 3-all track

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Stiffer mounts reduce engine movement helping with shift feel, wheel hop...etc
So can you do this trick to most cars? My VW needs stiffer mounts........ I video'd under my car with a camera while I revved the engine, and I swear my engine is moving a foot back and forth :shock:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
So can you do this trick to most cars? My VW needs stiffer mounts........ I video'd under my car with a camera while I revved the engine, and I swear my engine is moving a foot back and forth :shock:
Yes, it will work to stiffen up any stock engine mount. Of course motor mount inserts do the same thing, just cost about $80 more

House Special

I'll KICK YA FUCKIN AASS!
Nice info. I was thinking about doing that to my driver's side mount. Stiff motor mounts FTW. My motor rocks back and forth like a mofo.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Yes, it will work to stiffen up any stock engine mount. Of course motor mount inserts do the same thing, just cost about $80 more
That's expensive. Motor mounts for my jetta are $40 for lower front, and $50 for the other two. I was thiking of buying only the lower front, but now I might have to try this........

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Well it's not really that much. Prothane mounts for the DSM are like $90. But that is for all 4.