Rumbling/Vibration from car

Ken34

i cant tell whether it comes from the front or back, all i know is i get horrible shaking when driving slower or coming off a turn. when i speed up it goes away, lol. ive had rear rotors resurfaced and tires balanced....so im guessing my next thing to try is getting front rotors resurfaced. and maybe some new tires, cause a mechanic told me my rear tires have alot of inner wear. I drive a 96 Integra LS, stock. any info would be appreciated.

LitosDA

I had the same problem with mine. I changed the brakes all the way around. That finally put end to it.

solarpowered

it could be any of those suggestions but I also can think of a few more,
when it does it , can you feel it more in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal?
If felt in the steering wheel I would think would be more likely a worn out suspension part,eg, wheel bearing , ball joint ,tie rod (fix it soon !!)but if it pulses throught the brake pedal then your on the right track with the rotors.( I have found if a rotor is that bad just replace them)
also .when did it start? was it gradual or just something that started one day ?
do you remember running over something ?
I would put it up on a lift and check all your ball joints , and suspension for any wear.
are all your wheel lugs tightened down ?
and are they tightened down evenly so they rotate true?

Ken34

it could be any of those suggestions but I also can think of a few more,
when it does it , can you feel it more in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal?
If felt in the steering wheel I would think would be more likely a worn out suspension part,eg, wheel bearing , ball joint ,tie rod (fix it soon !!)but if it pulses throught the brake pedal then your on the right track with the rotors.( I have found if a rotor is that bad just replace them)
also .when did it start? was it gradual or just something that started one day ?
do you remember running over something ?
I would put it up on a lift and check all your ball joints , and suspension for any wear.
are all your wheel lugs tightened down ?
and are they tightened down evenly so they rotate true?
when its happening i still have full control of the car, handling doesnt start going insane or anything, it just kind of feels like the whole car is vibrating, and although the rumbling is fast, its like at intervals, so that tells me its something underneath, that happens every rotation of the wheel while driving. i got the car with this problem, its just been getting worse now. ive had the car since october 15th of this year. it sucks to drive like 20mph and under, cause thats when it happens, its annoying as hell.

solarpowered

The more I hear the more it seems like its a tire problem(like your mechanic mentioned)
it might just be one tire that has some cupping on it or other type of unusual wear.
sometimes if you look at the tire from different angles with different lighting ,such as early in the morning when the sun is coming up or setting, you can see the worn out spots.
also you can CAREFULLY run your hands around the tire and "feel" a bad spot. just be carefull in case you have any steel belts coming through the tire cause it'll stick ya!
this type of wear can cause the problem you have.
can you hear a whinning or growling sound with your window down?
usually you will hear it if the tire is worn enough to be causing a vibration.
have a good night

kenny

Im a mechanic with over 35 years experence, i can give you a couple of tips. first alignment being off will not make a car vibrate it will only wear the tires & make the car pull to one side or the other. brake rotors out of round will vibrate only when the brakes are applied. if the car vibrates with out the brakes applied you can rule that problem out. a bad tire,out of round or cupped could cause a vibration. you could jack up the car & spin each tire and watch for wobble, cupping or a bent rim.a nother problem could be a bad strut or shock. this can be checked by getting a friend to ride next to you when the vibration acures,watching each tire for bouncing. if the tires bounce up & down the strut is bad if the tire wiggles in & out front end parts are worn or loose. hope this helps

rsxer63

Im a mechanic with over 35 years experence, i can give you a couple of tips. first alignment being off will not make a car vibrate it will only wear the tires & make the car pull to one side or the other. brake rotors out of round will vibrate only when the brakes are applied. if the car vibrates with out the brakes applied you can rule that problem out. a bad tire,out of round or cupped could cause a vibration. you could jack up the car & spin each tire and watch for wobble, cupping or a bent rim.a nother problem could be a bad strut or shock. this can be checked by getting a friend to ride next to you when the vibration acures,watching each tire for bouncing. if the tires bounce up & down the strut is bad if the tire wiggles in & out front end parts are worn or loose. hope this helps
You can also rotate the rear tires to the front and see if the problem moves to the front or stays in the rear.

Ken34

thanks for the info, i just got in touch with my dad, as he just got back to the united states yesterday, hes been a mechanic for 20 years, and he told me about the same thing you just said. so ill check the tires out first.

Ken34

just wanted to give an update, i got brand new rims and tires and the vibration was still there, but when i went for an alignment, they said they couldnt do it, because it would be meaningless. they said I needed new inner and outer tie rods because there was play in the wheel(you can wobble it left and right.) does that sound right?

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
yea, ask them about up and down to.

Either way, have those tie rods replaced. And check your wheel bearings.