is there a difference in motors?

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
no

EDIT: well... Yes and no.

90-91 have different intake cams then the 92-93 but the engines are still B18's.
between the two sub models they are the same tho. GS-R is the only one that was a different motor.

92-93 intake cam is more aggressive and I think had a higher redline on the ecu.

tilegend

no

EDIT: well... Yes and no.

90-91 have different intake cams then the 92-93 but the engines are still B18's.
between the two sub models they are the same tho. GS-R is the only one that was a different motor.

92-93 intake cam is more aggressive and I think had a higher redline on the ecu.
edit:woops realized they were the same. weird that they have different part numbers though

B18A1 (90-91)

Camshaft specs:
IN: 1.3160
EX: 1.3083

B18A1 (92-93) B18B1 (94-95)

Camshaft specs:
IN: 1.3274
EX: 1.3083

B18B (96-01)

Camshaft Specs:
IN: 1.3274
EX 1.3200

part numbers:
90-91
14111-PR4-A00 CAMSHAFT, IN.
14121-PR4-A00 CAMSHAFT, EX.

92-93
14111-PR4-000 CAMSHAFT, IN.
14121-PR4-000 CAMSHAFT, EX.

Last edited:

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
edit:woops realized they were the same. weird that they have different part numbers though
haha, beat ya on the edit.

it's all good man. they probably just changed the whole part in general even in stocking for the "better" cam. Just a upgraded part. Happens in GM parts all the time at the shop

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
haha, I'm a post whore. you can't even dream of keeping up when I'm on a roll.

It's all good.

PROJECT91teg

so if its all the same, then why do they want to know if you have a rs ls or gs.. stupid as this sounds i just found out today that my teg is a gs.. only had it for 2 weeks and when he said it was a ls i didnt think twice about it... i wanna build it and dont wanna make any mistakes....

tilegend

LS is common terminology for a B18A / B non-vtec motor

as for the 2nd gen tegs, the difference between ls, gs, rs was the options. (trim level)
options such as power windows, power locks, button style heater control, ABS, moonroof, power mirrors, alloy wheels, cd player too i believe, leather seats, A/C...

the 2nd gen is commonly referred to a as a lego car... most of the options were avail. on all trim levels... basically you could build the car as you wish.

Last edited:

Mildsquare

From the bay to LV
92+ ecu's won't plug into the 90-91 harness, you wil need a jumper harness from obd to obd1 or run a complete obd1 harness, along with an obd1 distributor and o2 sensor. you can run the obd o injectors but imo it would be better to upgrade to obd1 injectors and get rid of the resistor box.
As for having 92-93 ecu run the 90-91 motor it wouldn't yield much performance if at all , due to the cam profile and better flow of the 92-93 intake manifold/ tb, but I could be wrong.

Musicpro2010

Ok Thank You. That info helped out alot. I plan on chipping my ecu but i suppose it would be esier if i went from OBDO-OBD1 first.

idoke

Ok Thank You. That info helped out alot. I plan on chipping my ecu but i suppose it would be esier if i went from OBDO-OBD1 first.
you can still chip obd0 but beware. you should know what you want to do first before you chip your ecu. chipping the ecu should be your last mod to your performance upgrades....