How To remove a motor

goofyb20

**** Dont hold me liable for any thing you F*** up yourself***
i found this at my job and thought id post it up for people who need help removing an engine!!
HOPE IT HELPS

1. Disconnect the battery positive and negative terminals.
2. Open the engine hood in a vertical position.
DO NOT remove the engine hood.
3. Raise the car to full height. Remove the front wheels and engine splash shield.
4. Drain the engine coolant. By loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator tank.
5. Drain the transmission oil/fluid.
6. Drain the engine oil.
7. Lower the car. Open the hood as far open as possible.
8. Remove the strut brace.
9. Remove the under-hood ABS fuse/relay box.
10. Remove the air intake duct, the resonator and the air cleaner assembly.
11. Relieve fuel pressure by slowly loosening the service bolt on the fuel filter about one turn.
12. Remove the fuel feed hose and evaporative emission control canister hose from the intake manifold.
13. Remove the throttle cable by loosening the locknut then slip the cable out of the accelerator linkage.
14. Remove the engine wire harness connectors on the left side of the engine compartment.
15. Remove the fuel return hose and brake booster vacuum hose.
16. Remove the engine wire harness connectors, terminal and clamps on the right side of the engine compartment.
17. Remove the battery cable/starter cable from the under-hood fuse/relay box and ABS power cable from the battery terminal.
18. Remove the engine ground cable from the cylinder head.
19. Remove the power steering (P/S) belt and pump. (if equipped - ignore, rather remove the pump lines)
20. Remove the air conditioning (A/C) belt and compressor. (if equipped)
DO NOT remove the A/C hoses.
21. Remove the transmission ground cable and the automatic transmission (ATF) cooler hoses.
22. Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses and the heater hoses.
23. Raise the car to full height.
24. Remove the exhaust pipe and bracket.
25. Remove the A/T shift cable. (if equipped)
26. Remove the clutch slave cylinder and pipe hose assembly.
DO NOT remove the pipe/hose assembly
27. Remove the shift rod and extension rod.
28. Remove the damper fork.
29. Remove the suspension lower arm ball joint with special tool.
30. Remove the driveshaft.
31. Lower the car.
32. Attach the engine chain lifter to the engine.
33. Remove the left and right front engine mount and brackets.
34. Remove the rear engine mounting bracket.
35. Remove the support nuts/bolt and mount bolt, then remove the driver's side engine mount.
36. Remove the transmission mount nuts. Loosen the mount bolt and pivot the transmission side mount out of the way.
37. Raise the chain lifter to remove all slack from the chain.
38. Check that the engine is completely free of vacuum hoses, fuel and coolant hoses, and electrical wiring.
30. Slowly raise the engine approximately 6 in. Check once again that all hoses and wires have been disconnected from the engine.
40. Raise the engine all the way and remove it from the car.

31dev31

Excellent post.

I've been trying to find this kind of DIY for weeks, even I searched on club civic as well. :thumbs up

BigDc2

removal: steps 1-40
installation: reverse

FullCry

Very good, but I must add to pull the compressor up and out over the radiator support being carefull with the hoses and let it hang in the front of the car or use a bungy cord to hold it. I also bungy cord parts of the wiring harness back out of the way. Now as far as the lower ball joint tool goes there is a faster way in my opinion. I worked at a Honda dealership for ten years and all of us techs loosen the lower ball joint with an impact and leave the nut where it protects the threads on the end. Now take a BFH and hit the lower arm right where the ball joint goes through it. Don't hit the ball joint though. I mean hit it hard and it may take several blows and whoomp it will pop free. If you look real close at the arm you can see a flat spot which is where to hit it. We also removed any joint on a honda car the same way. I'm not demeaning your post this is just things that I know.

Humbly, FullCry

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
I don't understand why you would do a few of those things it says. EX; Drain Trans. your taking engine out?

ct1992

^^^takin out the motor, may as well have minty fluids all throughout :), makes the car happy!

wite2nr

I don't understand why you would do a few of those things it says. EX; Drain Trans. your taking engine out?
you have to take the axles out, and when you tip the motor to get it out of the bay tranny fluid will spill unless you drain it.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
^Plus you're gonna bust the tranny off if you wanna do motor work anyway. It's unavoidable; may as well drain the fluid and save yourself a messy cleanup.

gipsyrsx

removal

i know this thread is kindda old but i have a question, how about if your only taking out the engine and you want to leave the tranny inside? im about to do take my engine out and need to know how to separate them before taking engine out , anyone plz help

Prozon

Kris
Gipsyrsx, removing the engine with the transmission in is probably not the easiest way to do it. But the first two times I pulled the motor I left the transmission in. It's a good idea to unbolt the rear and front mounts of the transmission and put a jack under it.

If you have an automatic transmission you have to remove the inspection plate from the bottom of the transmission and unbolt the nuts from the torque converter. You should be able to get to one at a time, and after you remove the first, you have to turn the motor over to get to the next. Keep doing that until all four are off. If it's a manual transmission you just have to unbolt it like normal.

You should also remove your crankshaft pulley in order to clear the bay easily.

Remember to take lots of pictures and tape/mark wires and hoses so you know where they go.

johnnymass

I disagree.

I pulled the motor and trans connected. It was very easy.

Disconnect all the plugs hoses and mounts. Use a cherry picker and pull it right out.

If you do keep them connected, I suggest pulling the radiator out to give you more room and less chance of busting shit up

Prozon

Kris
I said:
Prozon said:
removing the engine with the transmission in is probably not the easiest way to do it.
Meaning, separating the engine and pulling it with the transmission IN is harder then pulling them BOTH with them bolted together. I pulled the engine twice without the transmission. It's not so bad when removing, but it's a pain in the ass when reinstalling and trying to get the input shaft of the transmission into the clutch.

gipsyrsx

thx a lot guys i already started and ill take them both out, for once i thought it would be ez for engine only but i'll go the "mated way" :)