DIY: Polished wheels

GroceryGettinDB7

GHK ALL DAY!!
Picked up a nice set of GSR Blades yesterday, no curbage or deep scrapes but they were dull and fugly so i decided i would polish them up and make them look new again. So on the way home i stopped at autozone...get in the zone...autozone lmao...anyway...to get some sand paper, terry cloths and some aluminum/mag polish. Heres what i got:

*400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 grit sand paper. NOTE: If your wheels are in bad shape(scuffs/deep scratches/ect) get 320 also and you could go to 2000 grit if you want.
*Terry cloths...you cant have too much, i bought a 18 pack and now i only have 3 clean ones left..LOL
*Polish, i used meguiars because i like there products(it also smells like cinnamon) but a lot of people use mothers which will also work well.
*H20...lots of it, keep the sand paper soaked like Jenna Jameson in 95' :lol:
*Some sort of bucket(i used tupperware) for the water.
*A toothbrush and some simple green/water mix for in between the spokes.
*Rubber/latex gloves if you don't want your hands/fingernails black for a week...wish i did...lol
*Some cigarettes, food, beer and a little ganja are some extras to make it fun.
*And of coarse some good tunes.

1. Wash the wheels good, get any brake dust, dirt, and road grime off before you start. Maybe even use a brush to get what you can off the best you can.
2. Set up yourself a good comfortable spot, your going to be there for a while...it took me a little over 8 hours to do this!! Went in the shed at 4, didnt shut off the lights until somewhere after 12, so be patient....it will pay off in the end.:D
3. Start off with low grit and work your way up(obviously) i started with 400 but like is said if you have deep scuffs/scratched use 320 and just get that sucker wet, i even let them soak for a minute or two before i started then sand every spot...i did it in 3 steps...spokes, lip, and around the lugs.
4. After, dry the wheel off and do it again with the same grit, dipping the sandpaper in the water a lot to keep it nice and wet...lol
5. Then repeat step 4. but with 800 grit all the way up to 1500 or 2000 depending on what you want to do. The higher the grit the more water i used and lighter i had to sand...by the time i got to 1500 i was just letting the water and sandpaper do the work.
6. When your done the wheel is going to look dull and just blahh...if its dull and even you did a good job.
7. Before you start polishing get a clean terry cloth, some simple green/water mix and a toothbrush an clean in between the spokes if you haven't already when you washed it.
8. Grab a clean terry cloth and apply a small about of polish and go at it. Go in circular motion and keep using clean parts of the terry cloth when you have to reapply more polish, it will start to show a lot of black residue...that means its working.
9. Once the whole wheel is polished, get another clean terry cloth and rub all the polish off.
10. Do steps 7 and 8 again, you will be surprised how much it shines up....i did it three times to each wheel.
11. Wahlaa! your done...well with the first wheel! Good luck and be patient :thumbup:
***If you dont have the patience or time, pm me...we can work something out...i wouldn't mind doing it again for the right parts or money! Blades or Si's only lol***

Heres some before pics when i first picked them up:

Heres a pic of when i sanding them for the last time with 1500 grit:

Last edited:

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
Yeah try using an even finer grit sandpaper to get it even better next time.

But anyways, they look awesome!

I need to refinish my RacingHart wheels....

GroceryGettinDB7

GHK ALL DAY!!
thanks guys i know, i wish i finished with some 2000 grit...im gonna get a angle grinder with some 8" buffing wheels and go to town lol

jeepers94

93 Integra GS
It came out a lot better. I think I'm gonna do this to my rims, but end with 2000 grit sand paper. Nice job on the write up.

latindc2

So i went and did this cuz only one of my blades was dull so tell me what did i do wrong LOL
Started with this

This after 1500 :(

This after i put mother polish.

GroceryGettinDB7

GHK ALL DAY!!
they look good but it looks like you have a clear coat on yours....i didnt have any on mine...aircraft remover or some kind of paint remover will take care of that then start sanding/polishing.

amaestre32

nice write up man..i have one that i have to post when i finish with mine..you should see the killer job i had to start with lol these rims were in BAD shape lol