Another alternator belt install post

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
Alright so I've been checking out things here and there but can't really find a full detailed display of how to change the alternator belt. I changed the timing belt today and saw how to tighten it up once done. But as for the alternator belt I have it on correctly and all back together but don't know how to tighten it back up. I don't see anything that would make it pick up the slack by sliding down a bit or moving anything. It's the correct part, that was ordered specifically for this car.

Anyone know where I'm trailing off at or what to do? I had the car jacked up a bit but don't have the means to take off the wheel which would probably be easier to do it then. I'm going from on top and somewhat underneath the car to do this as best I can but it's tight. Don't wanna remove something electric or pumps just yet if there is an easier way around it all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~Dave

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
use a prybar and slide the alt.
Slide it? I can't move it at all even with the top and bottom bolt screws off. It's still clamped on with two brackets. One on top and one on the bottom. If I take those off it should move but there is no arch for it to be adjusted like where the timing belt gets connected. So even if I did that it would still be lose once put back together again.

I've tried looking for the manual. Can't find it anywhere for free so I guess I'll have to cough up the $50.00 for it. Didn't really want to. I've seen other online manuals, diagrams and repair books for free in a PDF. version but I guess not for this car. Does anyone know of where to get one for free or an online one?

~Dave

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
Hey thanks a lot man! Your my favorite non relative:D

This is going to make everything so much easier. wish I could print it out so I don't have to keep coming into the house and back and fourth but dam that would be a ton of paper and very thick at that. Thanks a lot though! I'll keep everyone posted as I take another stab at it tomorrow.

I'll get some pics tomorrow as well. I keep hearing solenoid belt for alternator belt. I'm thinking perhaps I was replacing the wrong one. The timing belt is sealed away practically inside the engine correct? The top belt to the right of it is? And the belt right under would be? <- That is the one that shredded and I'm fixing. Perhaps it's not the alternator belt? So I'll put that on the first one that I know can move easily. It has the two bolts which I did loosen and then also a twist bolt that lowers and tightens/raises it. Hmm I think I'm confusing myself as well as butchering this post, lol! I'll get pics tomorrow to clear it up. Sorry guys, uber n00b here with anything engines.
~Dave

Last edited:

acclude

cheap bastard
on the front, the top on is P/S, the bottom one is A/C, the alt. is on the backside.

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
on the front, the top on is P/S, the bottom one is A/C, the alt. is on the backside.
The way I bought the car all of these belts are on the drivers side. There are 3 possible belt locations. The a/c isn't even there and there is also a pipe that is disconnected as well. I'm not sure if this person was trying to remove that or what but they did a real bang up job. The top belt was just replaced and should the timing belt if I'm not mistaken? Then the belt below has to be the alternator belt. Here are the pics.

In this picture above the belt you can see is between the transmission fluid with the red cap and the engine. What belt is this, the timing belt? In all diagrams I have seen the timing belt was much larger and was tucked away inside the engine to the left right next to this belt. Also this only goes around two pulls. In the said diagrams the timing belt went around 4-5 pulls. Might just be a universal diagram or updated, I don't know.

Anyway just a bit to the left of the belt is what piece I was able to loosen the two screws from and the top one with the swivel screw I was able to loosen to move the piece up and down. Which in turn allowed me to make the belt get tighter or loose. What belt is this?

Under this belt is another belt which is what I believe is the alternator belt, is this correct? That is what I'm having trouble with. I can't seem to get it tightened. I'm thinking I asked for the wrong belt. I asked for a GS-R belt and not an RS which is what I have. So that could be it but I'm not sure. Also I noticed that the wheel holding the belt I'm trying to replace has a nasty little dent going inward to wards the belt. This must be replaced I'm sure. But how to get to it without being able to remove the wheel poses a problem here. I guess I should start dismantling the whole dam engine, do a wire tuck and save some space and get a good cleaning done to all the parts. Anyone have a good set up for how to do wire tucks and organize all the mess? I'm really nervous about messing with the wiring right not till I learn about it.

The whole engine is crudded with grease and very thick. All the bolts, screws, brackets and what ever else are very corroded and rusty. Should I just replace all of these or is there a really good cleaner I could soak and scrub them in? I really want to eliminate the rust before it spreads. Please offer some help guys, thanks again! It's currently raining here today so any work will be halted until it lets up. Dam April showers.

~Dave

Last edited:

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
Alright guys I'm going out of my mind with this easy ass fix. I have read every manual there is and checked through every Integra forum I could possibly find and still can not figure this out. I've taken pictures to show exactly what part I'm talking about and what belt. I'm not stating that anyone who has helped me is stupid or doesn't know what they are talking about either.

I think I might have confused people. I mean it has to be the alternator, it looks like one anyway. But I've taken pics of above and from below to show what I'm talking about. Please help if you can, I'd really appreciate it getting this car running again.

This picture shows what belt? The P/S belt right? The screws on this can be loosened to lower the part to tighten and loosen the P/S belt.

This pictures shows directly under the P/S which would be the A/C belt. Thing is that there was never a belt here.

In this picture I believe these or one of these pipes are for the A/C but neither one of them is connected or bolted on. Did they try to do a removal? Do either one of these serve any other purpose and if so is it something important?

Top view of what I believe to be the alternator, correct?

The belt with the Goodyear marking in yellow is the alternator belt. This is the view of it connected to the pulley along with the P/S belt.

A middle picture of the belt, tried to show that it's loose but didn't come out too great.

There is the top connected to the alternator. Top view of the alternator but I still see no where to slide the alternator up and down to tighten the belt.

Under car shot of the A/C pulley with nothing there.

Side shot from under the car of the P/S and alternator belt on bottom pulley. You can kind of see it's loose here in this pic.

Bottom shot of the alternator as best I could get to it with the camera. I see nothing to slide it up and down like the P/S section had.

Another bottom shot of the alternator. Still nothing I see can slide it. The brackets holding it do not slide, move, or allow the alternator or belt to be moved.

I don't see what everyone is saying about being able to loosen screws and using a pry bar to lower it. If I remove the brackets shown in the pictures nothing but the electrical stuff will be holding it on. Nothing lowers it from what I see. I'm hoping from these shots you guys can help me out with what needs to be done to tighten it up. When I removed the old belt is was shredded and came off without me taking anything apart or loosening anything. I put this belt on right over the pulley's as easy as I took off the other one. I just don't see what I'm missing here. Unless this isn't the alternator and the belt for it then I don't know. I probably have the wrong belt if it's not the alternator but it has to be. Any help? Please?

Also anybody know of a really good rust remover and cleaner? Does engine bright work good? Should I remove the stuff shown in the picture a few pieces at a time and get it cleaned up? It's really rusty under there on all that stuff from no splash guards. Please help with the belt if you can! Thanks in advance!

~Dave

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
I'll add some pics soon. I just took off the body kit, front fenders and man was it real nasty. So much rocks, dirt and debris from no splash guards or anything blocking what the tires kick up. I'm tossing the bodykit. Everything is ruined or I would sell or dam I would give it away. If you do want it and live in Pa or Nj you can have it. I won't ship it due to it's condition. The front bumper piece is missing a huge chunk out of the middle. The skirts are decent, need paint. The back bumper is in great condition minus paint work. Also took the bottom set of lights off, kept the wiring and everything but they didn't work anyway. Need new bulbs and the covers were filed with water and cracked. Just noticed after the front kit came off that the driver's side light holder is missing so it's barely on. More shit than I can mention right now.

Anyway I got the driver's side tire off and I'm trying to work this alternator but still don't see anything to lower/raise it to tighten/loosen the belt. Are you guys messing with me or something, lol!?!?!

Alright pics to follow soon. Back to tearing some shit off and then I'll post.

~Dave

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
Finally!!!!:D

Alright everyone I finally got the dam alternator belt to tighten! I don't know why or what happened but the old owner or possibly a manufacturer mistake had the alternator upside down. I was under the car and pushed up after loosening the screws to the brackets and it moved. So I took it off and put it on right and then bam it worked! Sorry for going against everyone with the pry bar or crow bar but dam it wasn't even on right. Should have known with this car though.

So I took off the body kit (side skirts/front and back bumper) and then front fenders. Also not shown in the pics but I took off the wing too. Mostly because they used wood screws to hold it on and did it wrong, that and the light doesn't work. I'm thinking of going spoiler-less. Not sure, that is a long way to go for looks. I do need a new alternator. The top pulley connected to the alternator is slightly bent and when running you can hear it. Rather than mess up a new belt I parked it facing out my driveway for better work room instead of next to the tree.

As of right now the list of what to do has been made.

1. Pull old engine out, strip the inside clean, find out how to do a wire tuck and hide, MAYBE remove p/s, a/c and abs, what benefits do you get from this?
2. Clean the hell out of the engine bay and paint it with a water proof sealant. Something like or just like what they use on the undercarriage. Any idea's on what this stuff is called and who sells it?
3. Buy new alternator, possibly relocate battery, what benefits do you get from this?
4. Buy new front wheel wells for both sides. As you can see from the pics they are in really bad condition. Actually just the OEM parts that won't be upgraded aftermarket stuff. Then purchase the aftermarket shit I need to finish up the front wheel wells. Any idea's on what will be needed and what I should get aftermarket?
5. Order and install the new front fenders. Thinking of going with the Z3 front fenders that are carbon fiber. Not sure yet. They have air intake slots to help keep the engine cool.
6. Swap in new engine B18C1. Get it all hooked up and everything else to it. Probably order the cold air intake, exhaust manifold and complete exhaust system around this time. Spark plugs and wires and whatever else I need. Can't think of it all right now.
7. New hood, might go carbon fiber but not sure. If I do carbon fiber fenders I more than likely won't do it with the hood. If I do normal fenders then I will put a carbon fiber hood on it. Not sure which one, waiting till I get that far.
8. Either brand new bumper from OEM or find one from a junkyard pull. Not sure what to do. I guess it all depends on if I can find a good one or not. Also will do the lights at this time. Still not sure what to go with but will worry about asking and stuff later when I get to this part. Still a long ways off.

Well that covers the front of the car and under the hood for the time being. Any advice please offer! I'm putting up the pics now, enjoy!

Busted light holder.

Normal light holder.

Wires hanging out of the tube, some cut and some going to nothing. Not sure what is up with it.

And lastly what the hell is this piece? I was going to take it off but wanted to make sure it didn't serve a major purpose. Any idea's?

~Dave