ATT: CA BAR info (no JDM motors?)

JDMsneakerz

dont believe the hype
as a few of u may or may not heard, CA BAR affective April 15, 2009 is only BAR'ing Replacement Motors same year or NEWER. more info from a few threads found on H-T

read throughly...
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2557694
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2548342

cheat sheet: lol

hondarazor23 said:
BAD NEWS:
I work at the referee call center downtown and just got clarification on the engine change regulations. Apparently the only engine change allowed right now is a "replacement engine" swap. I wasn't aware of that, I knew before you could change it to whatever as long as the engine that is being installed is the same year or newer, same size or bigger and all smog equipment has to be carried over along with that new engine. Now i dont know if this is permanently or not, i doubt its permanent but i would encourage someone to start a petition and maybe get the process to speed up. BAR is the place to contact if anyone is interested in starting a petition of some sort. (and Bob of Alameda is a good friendly guy, havent met him in person but he calls all the time to schedule appointments for consumers, in which other referee's wouldnt take the time to do, so he is definitely best referee imo)
UPDATE:
Just got word that people with non replacement engine changes will still have to first go to a referee station BUT the referee will only perform a visual inspection not a smog inspection, then he will apply a BAR label on the vehicle if it passes the visual inspection and then foward that consumer to go to a regular smog station so it could be tested. Effective April 15th
Yes. But if the referee believes you need some additional work to the vehicle before going to a regular smog station in order to pass the actual smog test then he will advice you on what you should do ahead of time that way you dont show up to a regular smog station and fail. But he will provide a BAR label regardless IF it passes the visual at the referee station.
no jdm motors are going to be accepted. doesn't look like that is going to change anytime soon..if at all. Specially since this new policy is now into affect
AMERICAN USDM MOTOR ARE STILL ALLOWED TO BE REF'D AND BAR'D
NOT JDM MOTOR UNLESS IT IS A EQUIV TO THE ORIGINAL MOTOR.

I.E.

INTEGRA GSR WITH B18C1 CAN INSTALL A JDM B18C IN TO IT AS LONG AS IT HAS THE PROPER EMISSION EQUIPMENT.

CIVIC WITH D15B7 CAN INSTALL A JDM D15B
DEL SOL WITH B16A3 CAN INSTALL A B16A
AND SO ON

===

I JUST SPOKE TO A REF HERE IN SAN DIEGO. HE SAID THIS NEW SYSTEM IS NOT ACTUALLY A NEW LAW BUT IT IS AN ADDITION TO A PREVIOUS RULE/LAW THAT WAS ALREADY STATED. THIS NEW SYSTEM WAS IMPLEMENTED BY THE A.R.B. OF CALIFORNIA (IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT ANYONE ABOUT THIS NEW LAW THEY ARE THE PEOPLE TO ASK BECAUSE THEY INSTATED IT)
IT ONLY CAME OUT AS A MEMO AND THATS WHY A LOT OF REF STATION MAY NOT KNOW ANYTHING OR NOT THAT MUCH ABOUT IT YET.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION AND DON'T CALL (858) 586-1239.
THIS IS ONE OF THE REFEREE STATION HERE IN SAN DIEGO. THE SMOG TECH I SPOKE WITH WAS VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT THE NEW SYSTEM. I ALSO ASKED HIM IF THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WILL BLOW OVER...HE TOLD ME DON'T HOLD MY BREATH. ONCE THE A.B.R. SAYS SOMETHING ITS IN STONE. THE ORIGINAL RULE ABOUT BARing MOTORS IN YOUR CAR WAS NOT ORIGINAL IMPLEMENTED FOR THOSE OF US WITH LIGHTER VEH. TO INSTALL LARGER MOTORS. DUE TO ALL THE B.S. THAT DUMB ASSES CREATE IN CALIFORNIA DUE TO STREET RACING THAT PROBABLY THE REASON WHY THE NEW ADDITION TO THE RULE/LAW WAS ADDED.

THEY ARE NOT SAYING JDM MOTORS ARE NO LONGER TOTALLY ALLOWED, THEY ARE JUST NOT ALLOWED IN VEH. THAT WERE NOT ALREADY EQUIPED WITH IS USDM SISTER MOTOR.

A PETITION WILL NOT DO ANYTHING BECAUSE OF THE ABOVE STATEMENT.

IN THE END YOU CAN STILL DO WHATEVER MOTOR SWAP YOU WANT IN YOUR VEH. AS LONG AS YOU USE THE OLD LAWS ALREADY STATED AND THE NEW AS IT CAN ONLY BE USDM MOTOR IF THE VEH. WAS NOT ALREADY EQUIPED WITH THAT MOTOR.

EX.
1990 CIVIC WITH JDM B16A NO NO NO!!!
1990 CIVIC WITH USDM B16A3 OR B16A2 OR B18C5 OR B18C1 BLAH YES YES YES!!!