How to take out your carpet, 92-93 Integra

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Okay first off I took my carpet out so I could dye it to black from tan. Second off you have dampeners under your carpet that needs to be taken off before doing this and you can either reapply it or buy new ones I am sorry I will have no picture but its pretty much simple

1) Take out your seats - Front seats are easiest. They are all 12mm bolts that are at each corner, but there is a cover on each and everyone. Just slide them off or pop it open depending on which one it is. After you take all 4 bolts out of each seat, do not remove that fast because there is a seat belt clip on each one that you have to undo, and there is a seat belt sensor plugged in on the bottom of each one. Now you can remove the from seats. Now for the back seats. Unfold one seat at a time, there are 10mm bolts holding the seats in 2 on each side for each seat. Take those all out and then slide each one out as you go. Do not remove the retainer for the bigger seat because you do not need to. It has a bolt going from pass side to drivers side to hold the middle part together. Now for the bench, there is one bolt in the very middle that is visible after you take out the seats, unscrew it and then lift up and there are two angled hooks that are now in position for the seat to be removed. (Note: you might have to remove the side cushions that are next to the fold down seats to get the bench to lift up, but I didn't have to do that)

2)(NOTE: There are circle clips that hold the carpet to the floor covers that are easy to remove with needle nose pliers, but you can either way till you get carpet out to remove these are let the foot covers sit until your ready to remove then do it) Remove all interior covers that cover the carpet. This is pretty much SUPER simple. There are the rear door trim things that cover the foot step up to the side cushion(there are plastic screws that go sideways at the upper part of the cover. Take them both out and the rest are clips. Then there are the seat belt cosmetic covers for the seat belt that goes over your lap. They each have phillips head screw that you take out and it comes off and you slip the seat belt through easily. Next you take off the front foot covers that are all clip then just let it sit with the carpet or remove the covers right there. Then there are the kick panels. They both have two horizontal screws that hold them to the dash, then its all clip from there. Then you have the fuse cover that you need to take off, just take small fuse cover off first then just pull the rest off its all clip. Then the same with other side except there is no fuse cover. Now there is the center console. There are two screws that go vertical upwards into the radio that you remove, then there are horizontal screws that are on each side that you take out, two for each side. Then you have to take off your shift knob, if its manual screw it counter clock wise to remove, if auto there should be a clip that holds the knob on in the front lower part(remove that clip and it should come off.) Put ebrake up to make it easier to clear the removal and also put in low gear or 4th. Now remove the console and now for the ebrake. Take off the mini cover off the ebrake that is frontal part with a mini flat head screw driver. Then take those two screws out they are both gold so don't forget where they go. I don't think they can go anywhere else. Now slide the cover backwards towards the rear of the car and it should slide off.

3) The tricky parts - There are a TON of clips that go into the floor itself that are black. Just pull at each black push on so you dont' tear the carpet, but the front is the harder part to do this. The carpet surrounds the brace for the center console and the radio, and also the rear climate control ducts. You can do one of two things(do it the hard way and take every bolt out that is holding that bracket together which I thought was a homo, then pull the center part of the duct system out to give room for removal), or you can(take a knife and CUT center of everything that will make it easier for the carpet removal. Now this was a tricky part for me. There is a foot rest for the left foot, you take a phillips screw driver and get it in between the carpet and the foot rest and pry the carpet around the foot rest and it should come off after that. Or you can cut a little line to make it easier if you don't wanna tear it.

This is all that you have to do to take out the carpet. If I forgot any screws please let me know as I will fill it in. Also please be advised that I am not a pro at interior work I just did this at a whim.

After this I dyed my carpet. I PULLED all the dampener material from under the carpet and then I went to a cheesy laundormat and PUT it in the huge washing machine. I used 1 bottle at soak cycle and 2 at the wash. And let it rinse for the three times. THEN you have to dry it. You have to wash it once more with the same 1 bottle in soak and 2 in wash. And then it will be done. unless you wanna dry it again. I MADE THE mistake of the second time I did this because I did it first time and it didn't make a mess and it was purple, so when I did it second time I couldn't find the dye in liquid form so I used boxes but they said they were 1/3 the power of bottle which I misread and i used 3 times. AND IT WAS A DISASTER but the carpet is black. The dye is called rit dye. You can get it at target or walmart.

ALSO if you have any other color combo your doing like black to white or something. Be careful because one you may need to use bleach for that and two if you do dye it it will create a different shade because two colors mix which is why I got purple the first time

When putting back together. Take some spray adhesive and put it to the dampeners and put htem back on otherwise the carpet will hang when you put it back togehter

Last edited: