Driving Techniques: Double-Clutch Downshifting

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Aside from heel-and-toe downshifting, there is also double-clutch downshifting. The main difference is the amount of times you have to use the clutch, thus why the technique is called "double-clutch downshifting". Also, during heel-and-toe downshifting, you blip the throttle while the clutch is engaged. In double-clutch, you blip the throttle when you're off the clutch. Anyway, here are the steps.

Steps for Double-Clutch Downshifting: (Downshift from 3rd to 2nd scenario)
1. Clutch in
2. Shift from 3rd to neutral
3. Clutch out
4. Rev match (Must be in neutral with clutch out)
5. Clutch in
6. Shift to 2nd from neutral
7. Clutch out

Keep in mind that you should be braking while all this is going on. Though this method is said to be better on the synchros, I choose to use the heel-and-toe technique. It's easier and quicker to do.

Here is a video of a friend who drives a Lotus Elise. Unlike me, he always uses the double-clutch downshifting technique. His footwork is just amazing. Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE="Double-Clutch Downshifting"]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jyVRnokxoVo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jyVRnokxoVo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>"][/YOUTUBE]

genesis

tougê hêrmit
i dont know heal toe seams like the same thing if not easier and or better........... its hard to heal toe in integras if you are bigger because the seat is soo high. FTL for integra seats, FTW for heal toe

BTW: healtoeautomotive.com FTW

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Damn dude I don't know how he's so damn fast. I just heel-toe still lol

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
i dont know heal toe seams like the same thing if not easier and or better........... its hard to heal toe in integras if you are bigger because the seat is soo high. FTL for integra seats, FTW for heal toe

BTW: healtoeautomotive.com FTW
Heel-and-toe is definitely easier. I think it's easy to heel-and-toe with Integras. The pedals are close together making it easy to do.

Damn dude I don't know how he's so damn fast. I just heel-toe still lol
I told you his footwork was amazing. It's all practice. And practice makes perfect.

acclude

cheap bastard
I always rev match downshifting and have used double clutching without actually thinking about it that way. I need A LOT more practice with heel-toe though. I tend to not give it enough brake and too much gas or not enough gas and too much brake. Haven't found that "happy medium" yet with heel-toe. Good vid and yes your friend does have amazing foot work!

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
^Like Matt said, just practice. I practice the shit out of my heel toe every time I drive around town. I probably look like an idiot to some people but w/e it's perfect slow-speed practice.

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
^Like Matt said, just practice. I practice the shit out of my heel toe every time I drive around town. I probably look like an idiot to some people but w/e it's perfect slow-speed practice.
Why would people think you look like an idiot?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
pretty cool, i have to double clutch my bus to get it in first. no syncros. lol

EklipzeR

StOnErZ iNc
Heel-and-toe is definitely easier. I think it's easy to heel-and-toe with Integras. The pedals are close together making it easy to do.

I told you his footwork was amazing. It's all practice. And practice makes perfect.
that video is crazy....thanks for the info and the schooling

Prozon

Kris
Even got a new section in the "how to" list just for this. :D
If someone wants to write a how-to on heel-toe that'd be cool.

Personally I never really feel the need to double clutch, although I noticed when I did do it, my bad synchros in third gear did not cause grinding. (Sometimes.)

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
im 6'1" and i could heel toe perfectly. ive been trying this double clutch downshifting for about a month and its hard as fuck. lol!!