diy Type R trunk brace Install

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
This DIY is for people who own the OEM ITR Trunk brace (n1concepts.com) or the EM racing trunk bar. May possibly work with RSX.

you can also make your own with a pipe or thick metal, these will need proper holes drilled out for the bolts. OEM length for the bar is 36"

Since this does require drilling of your frame do this at your own risk... i am not responsible for you messing this up.

materials needed
ITR trunk brace or EM racing brace
Bolts which fit the bar 3" in length
lock washer
regular washer
nylon nut
drill
drill bits
wrenches/sockets
extra hand to help tighten bolts

first we need to clear out the trunk

after that, we need to remove the plastic pannel 4 pop tabs and 2 screw clips, dont worry if you break them, the bar will secure the panel

locate circled region and line up the bar, the mounting holes on the bar should be around the red X slightly off from the inner stock hole

drill drill drill, you should feel your drill penetrate two pieces of metal. Use paint to cover the holes so that they dont rust. After you do this drill a hole in your plastic covering to match where you drilled the holes for the bar. i drilled mine slightly bigger

mount like so, lock washer goes inside the rear bumper. crawl under and tighten the bolts and youre done

finnished product

XxCaryxX

Nice right up! :thumbs up

I didn't realize that there was that much twisting back there when cornering hard and watnot. I learned something new today. :lol:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Nice right up! :thumbs up

I didn't realize that there was that much twisting back there when cornering hard and watnot. I learned something new today. :lol:
thanks man this is what EM racing says about the bar

For all you DC2 owners, this bar installs where the OEM Type-R brace sits, but with a little added style. Made from high stiffness to weight ratio 6061-T6 aluminum, this upgrade prevents the brittle trunk wall from flexing. Approximate installation time: 30 mins
I find it takes about 30-1 hour to do it depending on how slow you work and what you take out of your trunk, i havent felt a difference but hey it was a $20 bar

XxCaryxX

Not bad. Once i get a better job (after school most likely) ill have to do this. Bookmarked it since im getting the 'Teg ready for the Dragon. (Sadly, its the closest thing i can test on)

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
but if you can get your hands on the real one :thumbs up that would be sex

speedin

The Transporter
Yea I have a write-up on here about how to do BOTH of those bar. The ITR position one and the tire well one.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
I didn't think you could get the nuts in from underneath. I wish you had a pic of that. When I did mine, I hole sawed my way in from beneath each tail light.

Also, I see no reason to break any of the clips. Get yourself a panel popping tool. It's invaluable.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I didn't think you could get the nuts in from underneath. I wish you had a pic of that. When I did mine, I hole sawed my way in from beneath each tail light.

Also, I see no reason to break any of the clips. Get yourself a panel popping tool. It's invaluable.
yeah i forgot to take a pic of that but you can reach the bolts. i dont believe i broke clips. i just didnt have them =)