Our Website Family: TunerSports.com ClubCivic.com ClubIntegra.com
Attention Acura Integra Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or r

Welcome to ClubIntegra.com.

A forum dedicated to the Acura Integra, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will entitle you to other site features including access to post your Acura Integra in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

To start viewing messages by generation, select the Acura Integra forum that you want to visit from the list below. Or view all Acura Integra forums.

Go Back   ClubIntegra.com - Acura Integra Forum > Integra Generations Tech > 3rd Generation Acura Integra (1994-2001)

Notices

Please SEARCH before posting a new thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

'95 Integra hood latch stuck

3rd Generation Acura Integra (1994-2001)

Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
blackwellm

Default '95 Integra hood latch stuck

All,

Recently purchased an Integra from a third party and went to open the hood to give it a good ol' oil change when I found that the hood release line was jammed. No matter how much force I (or anyone else) applies, nothing gives.

I don't especially want to take it to a dealer to have it looked at and was wondering if anyone knew how I might be able to get around this snag in maintenance.

It's a '95 Integra LS.

- Thanks in advance
blackwellm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
StoobyMcDooby

did you try having someone push gently down on the hood as you pull the cable ?
StoobyMcDooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
guiltyxxspark
Internet Hate Machine

Take the front bumper off and cut the cable?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
mirrorimg

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltyxxspark View Post
Take the front bumper off and cut the cable?
I wouldn't be so quick to cut it. Besides, you need to hood up to get all of the screws out to take the bumper off

I would first make sure the cable is hooked onto the lever that you pull. Does anything happen when you pull the cable?

The line may be kinked, and you may have to take some pliers and yank on the cable from under the bumper. Doing this will likely damage the cable though.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
guiltyxxspark
Internet Hate Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorimg View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to cut it. Besides, you need to hood up to get all of the screws out to take the bumper off

I would first make sure the cable is hooked onto the lever that you pull. Does anything happen when you pull the cable?

The line may be kinked, and you may have to take some pliers and yank on the cable from under the bumper. Doing this will likely damage the cable though.
This is why G2s are so easy to steal. Take off the bumper, cut the cable, remove engine, cut e-brake cable, roll onto truck and off into the night.

I just scared myself. I'm sleeping in my car tonight.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
mirrorimg

Bring a thermal blanket that you can plug into the cig lighter
Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
guiltyxxspark
Internet Hate Machine

Good call.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
blackwellm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoobyMcDooby View Post
did you try having someone push gently down on the hood as you pull the cable ?
Yes. We tried doing that. Not even the gentle kind either..
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
blackwellm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorimg View Post

When I pull on the cable, the only thing that feels like it is moving is the entire cable (wire + wrappings). We got a little carried away pulling the wire and thumping on the hood that the assembly that holds the wire in place below the steering column bent off to one side - whoops.

I tried to look for the cable under the bumper but couldn't find it. Does anyone know the general area where it might be? Damage to the wire might not be a bad thing if I can get the hood open. It's likely that it has to be replaced anyhow.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
suspendedHatch
Legalize Illegal Aliens

Damaging your car is fine but paying the dealer isn't? Why the dealer? Take it to any collision shop. It's not rocket science.

At the handle itself, it's very common for the end that supports the cable to snap. So you pull it and it does nothing. Take off the handle and unclip the cable, then brace the wire sheathing with some pliers and pull the cable.

suspendedHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
blackwellm

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedHatch View Post
Damaging your car is fine but paying the dealer isn't? Why the dealer? Take it to any collision shop. It's not rocket science.

At the handle itself, it's very common for the end that supports the cable to snap. So you pull it and it does nothing. Take off the handle and unclip the cable, then brace the wire sheathing with some pliers and pull the cable.
I simply did not want to take it somewhere to be looked at because of any extra costs that would accompany the visit. The latch already seems to be broken - just in the closed position. I figure if it really is a reoccurring issue with these cars, then I should become familiar with it anyways. *shrugs*

I did unclip the cable and do as you mentioned above with yet again more failure. I will probably just take it somewhere to be looked at this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who repiled!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
bosslade

Default awesome, I couldn't figure this part out

"s***, I needed to brace the sheathing, then pull cable! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedHatch View Post

bosslade is offline   Reply With Quote