B16 head vs B18c1 head

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

The above image is a flow chart of the b16a head vs b18C1 head. This will be referred to a few times through out this write up. This write up is from information gathered from Team Integra, and redlsteg at B20vtec

Basically As you can see the b16 head has better flow at lower RPMS while the GSR has better flow at Higher RPMS. The reason for this goes into the design of the heads:

B16 (pr3 Stamp Code) Cylinder Head:
-The B16 head and Type-R head are of identical casts.
Both of these cylinder heads are stamped with the code PR-3.

-An ITR head is a ported B16A head from the factory. Both are coded as PR3 heads. So they are the same head but the ITR one (PR3-2) has had better intake valves, stiffer springs, bigger cams, bigger LMD's, bigger ports, steeper valve angles, some bowl blending work done from the factory.(IN B20 terms, FLOWS BETTER, HOLDS HIGH REVS BETTER!)

-The B16 head flows SLIGHTLY better then the GSR head.

-B16 uses a single stage IM with different flange mounting holes than the GSR. You are able to find more IM to the fit on the b16 for this reason.

-B16 heads are easily obtainable and can be had for pretty cheap versus the ITR.

-The intake port approach into the combustion chamber is less vertical and directs the mixture motion into the chamber differently than the GSR.

-Ways To Identify:
* the green paint by the distributor
* thinner ITR intake valvestem (12% lighter vs GSR/Si)
* minor port work by the valve seat in the ports
* dual valve springs on both sides, notice yellow paint on intake side, blue on exhaust side
* lost motion assembly has a blue dot

Part Numbers for:

CYLINDER HEAD:
-b16 head:12100-P30-020
-Type-R:12100-P73-J00
-GSR:12100-P72-000
-JDM civic Type R:12100-P73-J00

GSR (P72)Cylinder head:

-The GSR head's ports are said to be "straight shot" or more vertical or steeper).

-lower head volume in the GSR head works well with dished pistons in FI applications whereas the ITR head's larger head volume works well in N/A high hp motors using domed pistons that fill in the volume.

-The head volume for the GSR head is at 41.6 cc.
-From EDYN:The GSR head has a larger ID to the intake seat than the B16 head which is intended to feed a 1.8 liter engine...We don't see the differences that some seem to believe exist, with the B16 head being more swirl oriented and the GSR leaning more toward tumble. On the all-out killer heads, our best head based on a B16 casing will outflow an equivalently prepared GSR by perhaps 5 cfm at .500 lift and that's not enough to cause one to out perform the other in the real world. The inside diameter of the seat (of an 00-01 ITR head) is also larger than that of a stock B16 head, allowing higher flow rates necessary to feed a 1.8 liter combination.
-The GSR is also has a DUAL STAGE intake manifold.
-the intake port is a larger with a steeper throat cut valve angle. It has less aerodynamic drag from having less internal surface area than the GSR head and GSR 2 stage IM.

But what does this mean for the common man who is trying to build a motor for the first time? For me personally which head to use comes down to compression plain and simple. When using the B16 head the compression is bumped down and while using a gsr head (unmolested and not milled) will bump compression up.

Pleas keep this going so that we can add more information to create a well rounded comparison

killaberna

So samurai_blue your saying that it is better to build the head of a N/A GSR than to add a b16 built head onto a gsr long block.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
it depends on several factors.

pistons being used is the main concern, for a mild build i would use a p72 head but if i were to use ctr pistons i would start thinking about a itr head

lokibear

Hey blue this is very helpful. Still a little confusing lol. Now I understand pistons play a big part in this but.... From what I've been told by a lot of people is that I should stick with the gsr head for my n/a build. I'm still trying to learn how to judge what cams to use and what pistons. But from the research I've been doing iv come to the conclusion that yes the titanium valve train upgrade is lighter they also wear out a lot quicker. But correct me if I'm wrong.

killaberna

it depends on several factors.

pistons being used is the main concern, for a mild build i would use a p72 head but if i were to use ctr pistons i would start thinking about a itr head
well to my knowledge an itr head is way superior than the b16 head,, my question since i do not have money to spend on a itr head and want to build my motor mildly and reliable cause its my DD, was: 'Is a gsr head built with the same parts as a b16 head (both mildly built) which one would be better in my case..stay with the gsr head or switch to b16 head...

sorry if its a dum question,,its jus that all my buddies tell me to get a b16 head and go poor mans type r..idk tho..i beg to differ and say that if i built my head i could be faster than a poor mans type r

killaberna

Hey blue this is very helpful. Still a little confusing lol. Now I understand pistons play a big part in this but.... From what I've been told by a lot of people is that I should stick with the gsr head for my n/a build. I'm still trying to learn how to judge what cams to use and what pistons. But from the research I've been doing iv come to the conclusion that yes the titanium valve train upgrade is lighter they also wear out a lot quicker. But correct me if I'm wrong.
well from what iv found is that the titanium valve train upgrade is to rev higher and because of aggressive cams they are needed..idk about them wearing out faster.

lokibear

Originally I was planning on itr cams and ctr pistons. But after doing some research I found the ctr pistons may cause p2v clearance issues. And tho I don't plan on high reving my engine I also would rather not take the risk. So now I'm planning on running its cams and pistons. Also a its valve train. Any thoughts on this?