Header Technical Information

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
A header is a critical point in motor building and tuning, period. A crappy header will destroy your hard work and all the money spent building your motor and tuning it. This thread is informative on why buying a good header vs getting a knock off ie. Hytech replica or SSR replicas or anything of that nature as well as go over some critical header information.

Try Y vs 4-1 header
Try Y is basically a 4-2-1 design. The 4 exhaust ports are split into 2 Y shaped tubes and then merged into another Y and then to the collector making 3 Y shapes in the header. Whats the difference between the two? Well, first off the design of the Try-Y is commonly thought to create more midrange torque while the 4-1 design creates high end power. This is true in many aspects, but both headers will make numbers through the rev range while they concentrate in either mid or high revs. The design of a header as well as the quality will affect the power gains, This is why a DC header will never out perform a genuine Hytech header (graph below). This is because everything should be taken into consideration when choosing a header especially collector length as well as the following cat or test pipe and exhaust and muffler. Now, below i have attached some information from Honda Tuning Magazine which tested a B16A motor, mildly built, with stock, try-y and a 4-1 Header:
(http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/htup_0804_honda_header_tri_y_vs_4_into_1_dyno_test/airmass_tri_y_header_install.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Engine: B16A
Block:
forged rods and OEM replacement forged pistons by Probe Racing
Head:
Milled and hand ported
Crane Stage 1 cams
Holly adjustable Cam gears
AEM fuel rail
Holly 68mm TB
tuned on hondata
stock exhaust

Dyno Data: Stock vs. Tri-Y 4-Into-1 (Horsepower)

RPM Stock Tri-Y 4-1
4,000 84 84 85
4,500 101 101 101
5,000 115 116 114
5,500 137 138 134
6,000 150 151 150
6,500 165 167 167
7,000 181 184 185
7,200 191 193 196
7,500 194 199 202
7,700 195 201 204
8,000 191 196 198
8,500 186 192 193

Replica vs Real Deal
Now there is much debate over what header to get, replica hytech or the real one or just a plain old DC header. Heres a comparison between a few popular headers: (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1690447#22842718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

closer view of the numbers produced

the above pictured dyno graphs were done on a build B20 Vtec drag motor. What about a Stock motor? Below is a stock motor with just header modifications and tunining. (http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/264920.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Quality of header
Replica headers are cheaper than the real thing, hytech replicas go for about 300$ while the real hytech goes for 1000+ whats the difference?
Kiddracing header (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/header-discussion/191514-hytech-replica.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

vs K series hytech

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
You can't forget factors like sonic resonance and how the quality/length of runners and size can create better/worse vacuum thus effecting performance. A header like a DC 4-2-1 will not create as much peak power as a try-y Hytech, but it's still a good header. it makes consistent power gains throughout the power band. DC has put massive amounts of time, money, and research into things such as making the sonic resonance extremely efficient.

I completely agree with you that 'knock-off' ebay headers are absolutely on a lesser level, but I don't want people to think they HAVE to buy a Hytech to make quality power. Yeah, a Hytech will make you a lot more peak power than most other headers, but that's after a tune, CAI, exhaust, and IM at minimum... and don't forget a true Hytech race header deletes the cat too. There are many other quality companies that make GREAT headers for NA applications. And don't forget about supercharged applications too. Kamikaze makes an awesome header for a JRSC'd B/H series car. Short primaries and a fat dump are awesome for a positive displacement SC but crap for an NA application. There's much much more to header tech than $1000 for a Hytech

There's also a big difference between peak horsepower and useable horsepower. That's why all those dyno-queen 1300whp Supras are still slow everywhere but the freeway :lol:

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
You can't forget factors like sonic resonance and how the quality/length of runners and size can create better/worse vacuum thus effecting performance. A header like a DC 4-2-1 will not create as much peak power as a try-y Hytech, but it's still a good header. it makes consistent power gains throughout the power band. DC has put massive amounts of time, money, and research into things such as making the sonic resonance extremely efficient.

I completely agree with you that 'knock-off' ebay headers are absolutely on a lesser level, but I don't want people to think they HAVE to buy a Hytech to make quality power. Yeah, a Hytech will make you a lot more peak power than most other headers, but that's after a tune, CAI, exhaust, and IM at minimum... and don't forget a true Hytech race header deletes the cat too. There are many other quality companies that make GREAT headers for NA applications. And don't forget about supercharged applications too. Kamikaze makes an awesome header for a JRSC'd B/H series car. Short primaries and a fat dump are awesome for a positive displacement SC but crap for an NA application. There's much much more to header tech than $1000 for a Hytech

There's also a big difference between peak horsepower and useable horsepower. That's why all those dyno-queen 1300whp Supras are still slow everywhere but the freeway :lol:

yeah i forgot about the runner quality and length. I just did hytech as an example because thats the only picture i could find lol!. and i used the term try-y very loosly, i categorized any 4-2-1 into the try y design because thats basically what they are. But i agree there are good headers out there that make power. I run a greddy one and its supurb. but yeah hytech was just used as an example because you really dont see knock off greddy headers as much as you see hytech replicas. And most people want to know about the replica vs the real.