Type R exhaust different from GSR?

vinny_5255

What's up everyone, Is there a diff between the stock gsr exhaust and a stock type R exhaust? performance? sound? look?

Joshmmc

Completely different, from the header to the muffler. I think the pipe diameter is a tad wider, and the catalytic converter, resonator, and muffler are geared towards better flow. The sound is a bit nicer on the Type-R. I have a Type-R cat-back on my LS. It's still very modest though. Could easily pass as OEM. Besides the little chrome tip, it's a very basic looking muffler.

vinny_5255

Completely different, from the header to the muffler. I think the pipe diameter is a tad wider, and the catalytic converter, resonator, and muffler are geared towards better flow. The sound is a bit nicer on the Type-R. I have a Type-R cat-back on my LS. It's still very modest though. Could easily pass as OEM. Besides the little chrome tip, it's a very basic looking muffler.
Where did you pick yours up? I was thinking about just doing the cat back as well with some comptech headers(if I can find them:))

teggygrl08

BBHG.. one love.
i have the itr axleback.. much deeper and sounds great at WOT. i want a full cat but i cant afford it atm

phatintegra

Banned
OEM ITR is the same diameter of the LS and that's 2.25" diameter it's the muffler thats different and the cat I belive along with the header. I remember some where that the GSR is shorter can;'t remember if it was the header.

I will soon be running a full JDM ITR with a custom stainless cat 13" long with 2.5" diameter piping. JDM ITR header is mounted. Have custom cat on order, should be here towrs the end of next week andI be puting my order in for the JDM ITR mid B pipe and JDM ITR muffler soon.

vinny_5255

OEM ITR is the same diameter of the LS and that's 2.25" diameter it's the muffler thats different and the cat I belive along with the header. I remember some where that the GSR is shorter can;'t remember if it was the header.

I will soon be running a full JDM ITR with a custom stainless cat 13" long with 2.5" diameter piping. JDM ITR header is mounted. Have custom cat on order, should be here towrs the end of next week andI be puting my order in for the JDM ITR mid B pipe and JDM ITR muffler soon.
dam that sounds like a really nice set up, where are you ordering your stuff from?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Keep in mind the 94-99 GSR has different exhaust lengths than every other G3. If you want to use an ITR exhaust on a 94-99 GSR, you must either get the entire header back, or have a muffler shop mate it up to whatever 94-99 GSR exhaust parts you may still be using.

If you don't have a 94-99, then there is no worries on the dimensional differences

wite2nr

"In order to make exhaust air flow smoother, there are no sharp angles in the header. Furthermore, in order to lighten/strengthen the parts, stainless steel was used.
Impossible to do in mass-production, all exhaust piping is welded together with no sharp edges throughout. Also, the piping was upgraded to 57.2mm throughout to increase air flow.
The muffler is a multi-chamber design, and does a wonderful job of dissipating sound. However, the funnel-shaped piping in-between the chambers makes it a very free-flowing exhaust."

heykosal

Angkorian
Because it is OEM:lol:

Anyways, yes I think the ITR exhaust piping diameter is 2.25in

wite2nr

Because it is OEM:lol:

Anyways, yes I think the ITR exhaust piping diameter is 2.25in
correct. I still dont see why people are so hell bent on using oem or "itr" parts. I would rather spend the money on an aftermarket exhaust, engine internals and other parts vs buying oem parts just because they are type r wooooooo

phatintegra

Banned
dam that sounds like a really nice set up, where are you ordering your stuff from?
From the header all the way down to the muffler is all 2.5" diameter piping

JDM ITR 4-1 Header I have (2) that I got thru one of my sponsor local peformance shop.
JDM down pipe bracket. I'm not sure where I bought it from but I'm guessing JDM Password
JDM ITR Mid B pipe and muffler order thru JHPUSA
Custom Mirror Finish Stainless Steel Cat is on order thru Kteller.

Last edited:

ripbob

Sith Lord
Where did you pick yours up? I was thinking about just doing the cat back as well with some comptech headers(if I can find them:))

The acura dealerships online have them (acuraoempartsdotcom) or check out some of the sponsors on the site. That's a sweet set up. GL