Our Website Family: TunerSports.com ClubCivic.com ClubIntegra.com
Attention Acura Integra Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or r

Welcome to ClubIntegra.com.

A forum dedicated to the Acura Integra, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will entitle you to other site features including access to post your Acura Integra in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

To start viewing messages by generation, select the Acura Integra forum that you want to visit from the list below. Or view all Acura Integra forums.

Go Back   ClubIntegra.com - Acura Integra Forum > Integra Generations Tech > 3rd Generation Acura Integra (1994-2001)

Notices

Please SEARCH before posting a new thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

Brakes feel soft after replacement.

3rd Generation Acura Integra (1994-2001)

Old 03-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
TheSylntChamber

Default Brakes feel soft after replacement.

Well I recently purchased a 99 Integra GSR. On the way home I noticed the right rear brake was scrubbing so went ahead and bought some pads to change out. RL side went off without a problem. The RR side however had a caliper that was seized so bad it wouldn't budge at all. The pad on the RR was completely gone also versus the RL side that still had half a pad surface left.

So I installed the new caliper today and bled the brakes in the proper order per the helms manual. The brakes now feel too soft and I have a lot of play before they start engaging. I didn't have any air left in the lines that I seen. I don't think it's the master as when I keep the pedal held down it doesn't keep slowly going down and bottoming out. Also with the car off it feels nice and after a couple of pumps it's rock hard. When you switch the car on the pedal immediately sinks if you have the brake pressed still. Any ideas?
TheSylntChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
DAs_an_DCs

Air in the master cylinder, you need to bench bleed it. Also I recomend bleeding the lines with a friend its much easier. You'll have to rebleed the brakes to get it to 100%
Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
blaketeg
I <3 Boost

agree with him ^

probably still have air in the lines, re-bleed them.

Parting out integra, need parts just PM me.
blaketeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
TheSylntChamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAs_an_DCs View Post
Air in the master cylinder, you need to bench bleed it. Also I recomend bleeding the lines with a friend its much easier. You'll have to rebleed the brakes to get it to 100%
Why would I have to bench bleed the master cylinder as it wasn't touched? I didn't change it. Also I did it with a friend. I had them pump the brakes and hold while I bled as per the helms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaketeg View Post
agree with him ^

probably still have air in the lines, re-bleed them.
I didn't see any more coming out. I will try again and hopefully it fixes it.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
DAmonzt3r
db1 is love

you have to bleed them over and over til the problem gets fixed tht happened to me when i replaced my discs and pads
DAmonzt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
TheSylntChamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAmonzt3r View Post
you have to bleed them over and over til the problem gets fixed tht happened to me when i replaced my discs and pads
Yeah I only bled them once. I guess I will try to rebleed them a couple times and see if it changes. Could it be a air bubble in the new caliper?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #7
DAs_an_DCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSylntChamber View Post
Yeah I only bled them once. I guess I will try to rebleed them a couple times and see if it changes. Could it be a air bubble in the new caliper?
If it is then bleeding it should take care of it. although i still think its air that made its way to the master cylinder. All it takes is to not bleed the brakes well enough then the air travels back all the way to the master cylinder and theres no way to get it out with normal bleeding. Ive bled 2 bottles through with my father a master honda tech and it stayed spongy.

what my pops said "either ur master cylinder failed partialy cus its a 2 part system for safety, or u got air in ur lines that made it to the master cylinder. since you just were installing new brakes (i was upgrading to itr calipers) it is deffinately air in the master cylinder"

my dads moto is - whats the problem, whats the last thing you did to the car? thats the problem and he chuckles for effect, alota times hes right. Fukn with ur car is exactly that unless your a highly trained mechanic. even then repairs can cause more trouble than they fix

sry for the novel
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
DAmonzt3r
db1 is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSylntChamber View Post
yeah air bubbles always become a problem when you change your breaks but just rebleed them and youll be ok
DAmonzt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
dc2darkness

yeah just once sometimes doesnt cut it I had to bleed them 3 times when I changed all 4 calipers. NY winters like to seize calipers.
dc2darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
TheSylntChamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAs_an_DCs View Post
If it is then bleeding it should take care of it. although i still think its air that made its way to the master cylinder. All it takes is to not bleed the brakes well enough then the air travels back all the way to the master cylinder and theres no way to get it out with normal bleeding. Ive bled 2 bottles through with my father a master honda tech and it stayed spongy.

So when bench bleeding the master to you have to loop it back into the reservoir or is that just to make it cycle the fluid/not make a mess? I ask because I don't have any spare fittings/brake line to make a loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2darkness View Post
yeah just once sometimes doesnt cut it I had to bleed them 3 times when I changed all 4 calipers. NY winters like to seize calipers.
Man 3 times what a pita. Jacking up each wheel and taking them off. That's 12 jackings and 48 lug nut removals. Sounds more like an exercise routine
Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
dc2darkness

wasn't too bad I turned the car on while it was in the air to see when the vacuum kicked in to see if the brakes were good so I only had the wheels off once. also I have a air compressor and air gun so I don't have to break my back with a breaker bar lol.
dc2darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
DAs_an_DCs

hondahookup for free geniune honda service manuals, ull have to sign up to there site. It has the correct way to bench bleed ur master cylinder
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
SpooledupRacing
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SpooledupRacing

did u replace the rotor , pads and the caliper on that side???

you need to bleed the calipers throughly a few times per wheel until u have a SOLID STREAM of fluid coming out..

I don't mind gravity bleeding.. if u have a buddy that helps too..

ALSO the new caliper DOES have the bleeder at the top right? if they gave u the incorrect side the bleeder would be facing down and it will NEVER bleed like that..

Make sure your bleeders are facing up..
SpooledupRacing is offline   Reply With Quote