how to fix the main relay.... if your car won't start on a hot day

kcpit

ok so i have searched and searched on how to fix a main relay on here and have not found any how to's.... so i figured i would write a how to fix the main relay...
this problem happens alot to the older integras preludes civics so this write up will help alot of people.... see the problem with the main relays in older cars is that the soder on the circut board becomes hot and starts to melt away so i am going to tell you how to fix it...

tools you will need is a screw driver, 10mm socket and handle to, sodering iron and soder.

1.ok so first of all you need to locate your main relay... it should be screwed into a spot under your dash on the drivers side....
2.so unbolt the main relay.....
3.unplug the main relay.... take the main relay inside.....
4.now the main relay is really easy to get apart.... you just basically pull it out of the housing...
5.once you have it out of the houseing it is time to soder all the contact points on the circuit board.....
6. but becarfull not to drop hot soder on the circuit board cause that can and will cause some problems..... 7.once you have each point resodered let it sit for a few minutes to cool.....
8.put it back in the housing and reverse the steps it took to get it out....
9.once everything is back together you should not have any more problems starting your car up on a hot day... here are a few pics of when i did it for my 93 integra

Peenk_Ryda

Peenky- Duz It Right!
OMG you almost got it! 1 thing needs to be explained for a chick like me... i have a 94. there are 2 little brow boxes... 1 is by my break pedal, and the other is by my hood latch thing (which requires me to take off the uner plastic)

Thanks dude, your the shizznicks!

mmr

1990 Acura Integra Main Relay Pictures

Thought I'd post some close ups to help people understand the location of the main relay - the red arrows point to it. It is the light tan box, about 1" by 1" by 2".

Note that you need a 6" long socket extension, and a deep 10 mm socket in order to reach the bolt.

Resoldering the relay is really quite easy so long as you understand the basics of soldering. Even if it is your first time soldering, there is enough space between the connections on the circuit board that you can't go too far wrong with putting on too much solder so long as you are reasonably careful. Go to Radio Shack and buy .62 rosin core 60/40 solder, and use a 30 watt soldering iron.

rvasquez6089

THANKS DUDE YOU SAVED ME 8D i had to open the hood and attempt to start the car for over an hour -.- and i totally flooded the engine in the process, blue smoke was everywhere when it finally started. Now i replaced the relay and it starts up with out any hesitation at all :)

dmcastillo86

Would my car getting really hot and overheating melt the relay and destroy it? Cause I replaced my thermostat and tried to start my Teggy and all the lights would come on but no crank. Its a 90 btw. Any feedback would help