change cluster needle color

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
hey guys! you may have recently seen my cluster needle color thread and i decided to post up a 'how to' on what is needed to have this done. lucky for me, i had an extra cluster laying around so i decided to practice on that first..

whats needed

paint found at your local hobby store
some q-tips
nail polish remover
phillips screw driver
pry tool (preferably non-metallic)
paper plate or equivalent

step 1
cluster removal found here

step 2
3 phillips screws where the q-tips are, remove those

step 3
press the black tabs to remove the trim from the backing of the cluster

step 4
using a pry tool or your fingers, gently rock back and fourth to pull the needle off. yeah i used scissors!! it was a cluster for parts.. dont trip..

the black cover might come off first so dont trip. it pops off too

if that happens, try again and pull the needle off you doofus!!

step 5
dip the q-tip in the nail polish remover and get to rubbing!! but be careful!! only rub the back where the paint is. it'll eat thru the plastic and make it look dull. the back is fine because you're gonna paint over it anyways but not the sides!! so be careful!!

step 6
you only need a drop or two of paint. grab a new q-tip and dip that shit son!!

step 7
ive installed them like this so they'll rest on the pin stopper

then you just lift up the needle and move it on top of the stopper where it belongs

for the speedo, install the needle facing completely down and do the same

step 8
repeat 3 more times!

do the same thing that youve done with the rpm and speedo needles with the temp gauge. for the gas, move it manually all the way to empty or full, then pull that one off. just remember where you pulled it.

step 9
put it all back together, install, and enjoy!!

feel free to ask any q's!

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
it should be the same process for the 2nd gen tegs.

as for it lighting up, i havnt installed it yet. im sure it'll be very noticeable that the color has changed. i'll install tomorrow after work and snap a few night shots

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i was thinking of using led's.. but thats just too much work for me.. haha!!
plus.. i dont have it laying around my house either.. most of the crap i do is with stuff that i already have laying around here :thumbs up
so if i find some led bulbs in the garage somewhere, then i'll do it..

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Does it matter what paint you use? Cause i feel like if the paint isnt see through, then it wont show up very well. what yyou think?

OH AND PICS AT NIGHT PLEASE :)

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
sweet im going to do this when i get the time! ill post pics... in like a week or so when the time comes up lol.