guy_from_nerks 4dr build thread...the quest for 10's

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
guy_from_nerks 4dr build thread...the quest for 10's..start up vid pg.25!

Well this started out as a stock GSR that I had intentions off keeping that way....well those intentions quickly turned evil lol

Car: 1994 Acura Integra GSR 4dr
Chassis Code: DB8
Car Name: The Grocery Getter
Project Name: "Project s*** and Get"
Goals: Mid 10s!

Big Thanks goes out to the following sponsors:

Greg Carter @go-autoworks
Email: goautoworks@hotmail.com

Josh Cummings@ Sharp Apparel. Check em out, like em on Facebook and buy some shirts, hats, wristbands, lanyards or even stickers!!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/sharpapparel

Ryan Brecher@ Moddiction!! Check em out for Titaniun/Stainless Steel Weighted Shift Knobs and Dress up bolts plus more!!!
Email: sales@moddiction.com
Honda-Tech Username: moddiction

Steve Wilson@ Wilson Tuning (thanks for the great tuning)

Chris Banks@ Attention to Details. They are your hookup for mobile detailing here in central Ohio!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Attention-To-Details/126688287350547

Thanks go out to the following companies that have helped out along the way:
Mike Laskey@ Laskey Racing
Email: laskeyracing@gmail.com
Phone:714-688-0222

David Henson@ Gear-Speed aka Synchrotech
Email: Synchrotech.trans@hotmail.com
Phone: 909-592-5900

I would also like to thank my Dad, without him I wouldn't have the addiction to cars that I do haha. Plus he is a great set of hands to have around when wrenching, the man can do just about anything with a car, he still suprises me sometimes.

And last but definitley not least:
My GF for dealing with my addiction and listening to my b****ing when things aren't going right lol

Specs:
Bottom End
84mm Benson Sleeves
Pauter Rods
CP Pistons
ACL Bearings
ARP Main Studs
Polished/Balanced Crank
Moroso Oil Pan
OEM Oil Pickup
Type R Oil Pump
Rotating Assembly Fully Balanced and Blue Printed
Speed Theory Block Fittings
Torco Break in Oil SAE 30

Top End:
Full Port and Polish
Deburred and Re-Worked Combustion Chambers
01 ITR Cams
01 ITR LMA's
Crower Springs
Crower Retrainers
Supertech .5mm Oversized Valves
KMS Bronze Guides
BDL Cam Gears
Go-Autoworks Cam Seal
ARP Head Studs
Golden Eagle Headgasket
Edelbrock Victor X Intake
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
Professional Products 68mm Throttle Body
Blox TPS Sensor
NGK Plug Wires
NGK Spark Plugs
Shaved Valve Cover
(2) -10an Fittings Welded in Valve Cover

Drivetrain:
Built by Mista Bone aka Tranzex aka Transbone
97 GSR Transmission
Cpmpetition Clutch Twin Disc
ARP Flywheel Bolts
ARP Pressure Plate Bolts
MFactory Helical LSD
MFactory Magnetic Drain Plug
MFactory Differential Bearings
Gear Speed Carbon Coated Synchros
Torco RTF Fluid
Go-Autoworks Braided Clutch Line Kit
New OEM 3/4 Slider (synchrotech FTW)
New Bearings/Seals/Dust Boot/Springs

Boost Goodies::
Precision 6262 Journal Bearing T3 Vband .82ar
Precision 46mm Wastegate
PWR Intercooler
Deatschwerks 1000cc Injectors
Go-Autoworks Hood Exit Downpipe
Go-Autoworks Dump Tube
Go-Autoworks Turbo Blanket
Go-Autoworks GT Series Oil Catch Can
Go-Autoworks Pro Series Black Oil Line Kit
Go-Autoworks Intercooler Piping Kit 2.5" w/black couplers
HKS Limited Edition Black Blowoff Valve
Speed Factory 4 Bar Map Sensor
Autometer Sport Comp Black Faced Boost Gauge
AEM Uego Wideband
PWM Boost Solenoid
Hondata s300 Tuned by Steve Wilson

Fuel/Mounts:
Innovative Racing Mounts 85a Bushing (Powder coated same color as valve cover)
Full-Blown Twin Walbro Setup
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
Aeromotive Fuel Filter
Benen Fuel Rail (custom powder coated)
Jegs Liquid Filled CF Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-100PSI
Jegs AN Fittings (Black)
Jegs SS Line (Black)

Exterior:
2010 Infinity Midnigh Mocha Paint
VIS OEM Carbon Fiber Hood
15x7 Drag DR21's (Rpf1 knockoffs) Gold with Silver lip
Lenso VPD's (Satin Black) for track use)
Hoosier 24.5x9x13 slicks (for track use)
V2 Competition Rear Skinnies (for track use)

Suspension:
Ground Control Coilovers
Koni Yellow Struts
Skunk2 Upper Control Arms (Front)
Skunk2 Lower Control Arms (Rear)

Cooling
185 Thermostat
C&R Radiator
SPAL Fan

Interior
Quad-Pod Cluster Bezel and Clock Gauge Bezel
Autometer Sport Comp Black Faced Oil Pressure Gauge

Engine Bay
Shaved/Tucked
Kens Kustom Chassis Booster Delete
ABS Removed
Jegs Battery Relocation Kit
Jegs Remote Battery Terminals
Manual Rack Conversion
Energy Suspension Rack/Pinion Bushings
A/C Removed
Power Steering Removed

Last edited:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Now lets get down to business:

Dec/26th/2008: I trade away my G22 powered EJ1 for this 94 DB8 straight up. The GSR is clean and virgin!! I put 1000 miles on it before even thinking about modding it just to make sure no little bugs pop up.

Jan/23rd/09: The building bug strikes!! I acquire my old CRX in a deal. I am to pull the motor and put it into an Integra and he gets to keep the turbo kit. In return I get to keep my old crx. After thinking about it for a while I decide to scrap that car and use the money and remaining parts for my DB8. Here are some parts off the CRX that will be going on the Integra.

Jan/31st/09: Today we got a little break in the weather finally. I had some suspension parts lined up in Cincy so it was time for a little road trip. 2 1/2 hours later I purchased this:

For those that don't know what your looking at its Ground Control Coilovers, Koni Yellows and Skunk 2 Upper Control Arms

Feb/13th/09: Realizing that the look of steelies on my car was making it look like shit, I decided to do something about it. I had a set of Integra Meshies laying around that were in need of tires desperately, so next step is to get tires. I decided to wrap them in Falkens. I think they make the car look alot better. It also makes me realize that its time to drop it

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
3/19/09:Today the man in brown makes another appearance!! My CP pistons arrived that I ordered from ERL in Indiana. I basically have everything needed for my bottom end now except for a donor block. Time to source one!!

3/25/09: Today I pick up my donor motor. I found a GSR motor locally for $500 bucks. Already got it disassembled today, found out that I need another crank because this one has been destroyed by a chewed up bearing. Already found another crank though!!

Motor is set to be shipped to LaskeyRacing in California next week if everything goes accordingly. It will take 4-6 weeks for the short block to be shipped back to me, but well worth the wait.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Just thought I would toss in a couple pics of my mounts since they arrived:

4/3/09: Suspension Day!! Today I head over to my buddies house to get my damn suspension on. I have had it for a while and honestly got tired of looking at it. Anyways heres the pics:

Its not at the exact height I want it to be but I will mess with it a little tomorrow before heading to get an alignment.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
And just to compare:

4/18/09:Got bored and painted my rims. Best part is the price tag. Only cost me 12bucks at lowes too lol. Even put the gf to work masking off. I tihnk they turned out good and I like em so **** what you think lol

1. Masked off and 1st coat of Gold applied over white primer

2. 2 Coats of paint, 2 coats of clear and unmasked

3. Back on the car

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
5/5/09: The stock oil pan is replaced with a Moroso. The advantage of the moroso is it is pretapped for turbo and has a oil temperature bung already. Also it sits higher then the stock pan so this will help avoid bottoming out on the pan.

5/9/09: Today is a great day!! I finally get around to shipping my block off to Laskey Racing in California to have it built. Included in the build will be Benson Sleeves, Polished crank, balanced and blue printed to 11k rpms, type R oil pump, bearings, ARP main studs, and all bottom end gaskets. Should be back in 4-6 weeks

5/14/09:Today my oem oil pickup finally arrived. Also boredom struck so I busted out the old paint can and heres what became of it:

Remember my Moroso oil pan I got a couple days ago? If you don't heres a refresher:

Well like I stated boredom got the best of me and I did some painting:

In Primer

2 coats of gold applied

Stickers put back on and clear coated

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
5/15/09:Today the block arrived at Laskey. Upon inspection Mike discovers that my main journals are a little out of round. No big deal an align hone should solve this issue.

I also got around to painting my wiper arms. They were silver, now they are a nice black, nothing major but one of those little things that has been driving me nuts

5/26/09:My friend bought a set of Gold BDL cam gears but ended up not using them. His loss is my gain lol.

5/27/09: Originally I was going to send a head out to Laskey to have it built by Portflow. However I came across a baller deal a couple weeks ago and passed it up. I thought that this deal would be gone in a matter of hours, however I was pleasantly suprised to find 3 weeks later it was still around. So instead of passing it up again I jumped on it.

Enough talking lets get to the specs and pics:

-Crower Titanium springs and retainers
-KMS bronze valve guides
-Ferrea standard size valves
-OEM Honda seals and keepers
-01' ITR cams
-01' ITR LMA's
-Skunk2 cam gears
-STR silver cam seal
- Deshrouded & Polished Combustion Chambers
- Street Full Runner Port & Polish
- Back-Cut Valves
- Competition Radiused Valve Job
- Hand-Lapped Valves
- Vacuum-Tested Valve Seats
- Installed Valves, Springs and Retainers
- Deck Resurface to Spec
- Cylinder Head Deburred
- Base Flow Bench Test
- Final Flow Bench Test
- New Valve Seals

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
6/2/09: Game over!! Got word from Laskey today that the block I sent out is no good. So instead of trying to buy another block and paying to ship it out there I will just say **** it and part my build out and sell my car.

2hours later....I calmed down, talked to the gf who encouraged me to finish the ****ing car lol and have came to the conclusion that its party time. Mike Laskey is hooking me up with a block for basically free so I can finish the damn thing.

6/30/01: I bought a 1/2 size radiator today though. I am going to mate it up with my slim fan.

7/10/09: I lead a pretty boring life and at random times I fill like working on my car. Well today that struck and I decided to **** around with my valve cover. I sandblasted it, put it in primer and painted the spark plug cover. I would've painted the whole cover but I have to get it tapped with an fittings for a catch can first. Anyways heres some pics

Sandblasted:

Primed/Painted:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
7/15/09: Buddy of mine calls cause he broke an axle in his car. Unfortunately for him he doesn't have the money to fix it, forunately for me I do lol. So I pick up a Professional Products 68mm throttle body for a crackhead price

8/24/09: After months of ups and downs with this build I get great news! My block is finished and coming home. It will be here friday so i'll post pics then

8/28/09: I get a voicemail at 7:03 am from FedEx. They are calling to inform me that they have a package supposed to be delivered to me on Monday that has arrived damaged. What might that pakcage be? Only my 3k dollar bottom end coming back from Laskey Racing in California!!!! They inform me that there is a tube sticking out the side of the box that appears to be bent up pretty good. So I will be going to local fedex as soon as the wife gets home so I can inspect it and see what damages they have caused yet again.

Hopefully its just the water tube on back of the motor because I have a few extras laying around the garage. Either way its a [crummy] deal that they handle stuff so carelessly. They told me they could have it sent back to CA to be inspected there and file an insurance claim....I have only been waiting 4 months for the damn thing.

Ill post pics when I get home later.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Spec Sheet as far as Machining and Assembly goes:

Cylinder# 1 2 3 4
Bore Diameter 3.307 3.307 3.307 3.307
Clearance .0035 .0035 .0035 .0035

Piston Ring End Gap:
Top Rings .020 .020 .020 .020
Second Ring .021 .021 .021 .021
Oil Rings n/a n/a n/a n/a

Bearing Clearances:
Main Journal OD 2.1650 2.1650 2.1650 2.1649 2.1650
Vert Clear .0015 .0015 .0016 .0015 .0015
Crank End Play .008"
Main Torque 49lbs girdle.....56lbs end caps
Bolt Lube 30wt oil

Rod Jour OD 1.771 1.771 1.771 1.771
Ver Clear .0016 .0016 .0016 .0016
Rod Side Clear .008 .008 .008 .008
Rod Torque 50ft/lbs....(Pauter 3/8 diameter bolt)
Bolt Lube Oil

Note: Assembeled with ACL main and rod bearings
Note: <1lb force to spin crank
Note: <7.5lbs force to spin assembeled crank, pistons and rods at highest side of load
Note: 0lb additional breakaway for required to turn assembeled engine

Miscellaneous:

Deck Sleeves equal with deck
Pistons CP 9-1 CP rings, Dish Volume -11.1cc's
Rods Pauter 3/8"
Bearings ACL
Crank Benson 1010 OEM balanced and micropolished
C/R 9.15:1 with b18c5 stock head 42l.7cc's and .029 headgasket
9.3:1 with B18c1 stock head 41.6cc's and .029 headgasket
Rod/Stroke 1.582
Crank Run Out .0008"

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
New pics

9/3/09: Feeling like I haven't done much to the project later I decided to freshen some stuff up and mock others up. Painted the starter, alt and vtec selinoid. Also put head on block just to see how its going to look

Long block mocked up:

Starter, Alt and Vtec Selinoid painted:

Oh yeah painted vtec selinoid cap too:

9/4/09: Stock motor is now out!! Also picked up a Cometic headgasket

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
10/10/09: Picked up a set of ARP head studs, now I can finally bolt the head to the block

10/24/09: Boredom struck today!! I got tired of the block sitting on the engine stand with no head on it. I had the headstuds and headgasket laying around, just didn't have the free time to put it together until today. Just need timing belt tensioner and sprocket that goes behind crank pulley in order to make it a complete rotating assembly

Arp studs going in:

Cometic Headgasket on:

Head finally on the block:

Mmm look at those Intake ports:

Valve cover on the motor:

Finally all bolted up!!:

Oh yeah figured i'd toss in a couple pictures of the the mine and the gf's motors:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
11/10/09: Feeling like this project has been a little neglected lately I decided to spend some cash. Today I went to a local shop and picked up some goodies!! Those goodies included a Edelbrock Victor X intake manifold, 2 Aeromotive fuel filters and a Hondata intake manifold gasket. Lets just say I got everything for less then $500 bucks out the door. Intake manifold will be here tomorrow so pics of it will be posted then.

11/11/09: Manifold came in today!! Started taking stuff off the old stock manifold and swapped it over to the new one. Also bolted up my 68mm throttle body, then put the manifold on my motor. Starting to actually look like a motor now

Edelbrock Victor X:

Old vs New:

68mm TB bolted to the Edelbrock:

Manifold/TB bolted to the motor:

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
11/13/09: Well another good deal falls in my lap so I had to jump on it. I traded an LS ECU and $20 bucks and picked this up....Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

11/19/09: A buddy had a turbo integra, he sold it...somehow another buddy of mine ended up with the car due to it being wrecked. He is parting it out and has a couple things I want from it. One of those things was a C&R radiator w SPAL fan. I went ahead and picked it up off him