things to look for when buying an integra?

skylineguy2612

hey im looking at buying an integra and i thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about the things that should be looked at before buying a teg...ie ways to tell if its been beaten or things to listen for in the engine or figuring out a good price to pay if there are any mods on it.

jznsn2u

Wasssup dude,
Jznsn2u said:
I wrote this for some other person that asked a question similar to yours, here you go-
dude let me give you some tips on what you should be focused on. i'll take time to write somethings i've learned while buying cars.

1. Don't look at just the price. You need to look at the car as a whole, not by how much it costs.
2. Is it a Clean Title / Salvaged. if you might think you would resell the car you purchase in the future, try to aim for a clean title. salvaged usually means the car has been stolen, in an accident, vandalized etc hence harder to sell. KBB the value of the car.
3. What is the Mileage? it's a honda it will easily last well over 200k if you DON'T ABUSE IT. I personally would not buy an integra over 150k miles. that's just me.
4. Body condition - does it have rust? dents are inevitable. rust is a major problem.
5. Interior condition? - the infamous crack in the dash board isn't to big of a problem, check the seat - wear and tear, carpet, center console, power window condition, radio/ speakers - are they blown?
6. Performance Now this is a very important. don't think just because it has a super clean valve cover doesn't mean its legit. 8urcivic is a great valve cover painter anyone can buy one from him.
A.The best way to check the life of your engine is a compression test on all of the cylinders.
B.Test the clutch, run through all gears make sure there's no GRIND/ POP OUT.
C.Actually take a look at the block and look at the condition / dirty / clean - this will tell you about how the the previous owner treated the car.
D.Brakes - if the car isn't on hub caps, and has actual rims you can see through like oh say... gsr blades, you can check the pad life. and of course test it when you drive it.
E. Suspension - are the shocks blown? is it a bouncy ride? stock - smooth but high. aftermarket lowered - stiff is good but if its your daily you will get annoyed if your area has a lot of bumps.
F. If the car is modified of course you will HAVE to go through a more Thorough inspection of the car, how it was built and if it was built RIGHT. *Get the receipts for any aftermarket modification.
7. Craigslist is a good way to find cheap cars but you MUST inspect the car. The reason why people use craigslist over autotrader or ebay is because it is FREE.
8. Expect to find money hungry bastards. Cheap ass fools and bullshit posers.
9. When you email a seller be polite even in person. I personally have bought 2 integra's and because I was polite and I knew what I was talking about, I got minor discounts. No this is not called sucking dick. it's called networking. If you could spend 10 mins talking and making a new friend, they could hook you up.
10. Bring someone with you when you spec a car. Not someone that you trust and doesn't know shit about cars, bring someone that actually has your back and has mechanical experience.
11. Be Cautious about scams, that's why don't go alone.
12. Work hard, save a lot.
13. When you buy your car bone stock, imo DO NOT RUSH MODIFYING YOUR CAR. At least take some time to clean it, and admire it how it was made. When the time is right do it. Trust me half of the guys on this thread still remember how there car USED to be and it means a lot to notice how much hard work they put in it, they didn't rush it.
14. Having a girlfriend doesn't help your automotive expenses. & please don't show off, this will get your car Keyed, windows bashed, a target to thieves + more haters. This means ( don't rev your engine @ school, no burn outs, don't be like that 15 year old kid who likes to rip his ebrake, Yes im punking on that kid who does and don't zoooom and bust flybys on your friends/neighbors they'll dishonor you as a friend.
15. Good luck. Oh and by the way, THE MONEY YOU SPEND ON YOUR CAR MODIFYING... yeah don't expect you to get all that back.

i swear if you become a ricer after reading this fyl.

I'm sorry I used aggressive language in this post.

jznsn2u

integras -
look for
-rust, they're usually above the rear wheels and under the trunk where the spare is located at.
-dents scratches.
-condition of the seats, carpet, door panels, dash board. Usually overtime, the door panels start to crease up at the arm rest, dash gets a slight crack, seats tend to rip.
-cracks in the windshield.
-pop the hood and check if the engine is at least decent looking.
-start it and see if it idles fine.
-make sure that theres no grinds going through the gears in a standard car, or auto - make sure theres no bog while going through the gears.
-no cels or other codes.
-make sure theres no radiator leakage.
-check the history, integras tend to get stolen a lot.
-talk to the owner, their personality will tell you how they treat their cars. usually young cats tend to abuse the shit out of cars, the older crowd maintain there cars. Or it could be backwards, whatever just get a sense of their personality and make an assumption based on the condition of the car.
-oxidation in the headlights
-if the car is lowered, check under the front end to make sure nothing is leaking, exhaust manifold isnt cracked.
-check how the brakes respond while driving on the freeway.
-check if the steering column isnt tilted
-make sure the car doesnt make any odd sounds
-if your not getting a type r or an rs, check if the sunroof still works.
-check if the a/c works
hmmmmm thats about all i can say for now :lol:. I hope this helps.

jznsn2u

thanks those are definitly some good tips to look at... the car im specifically looking at is a 01 gs with 135000 and is supposedly in great mechanical order and only has a catback and some outer mods i would prolly get rid off cause they are kinda ricey...
http://utica.craigslist.org/cto/1865082643.html
wow, im kinda iffy about this. It's too cheap. There must be something wrong with it, mechanically. Bring someone to take a look at it and take all the precautions and check ups. Ask if it passes smog, keep an eye on him. If he hessitates, hes bsing you.

skylineguy2612

yea im guessing part of that is the dent in the fender cause it blue books for like 3 somethin... and how do you check the compression like you said to? (im like car retarded lol i can put gas and oil in it and thats like it) and is there any way to know if itll pass inspection and all that before i buy it?

jznsn2u

yea im guessing part of that is the dent in the fender cause it blue books for like 3 somethin... and how do you check the compression like you said to? (im like car retarded lol i can put gas and oil in it and thats like it) and is there any way to know if itll pass inspection and all that before i buy it?
Do you have 2 threads about the same question o_O? Its necessary to ask if its smogged already. Don't buy it if you have to smog it. Let him smog it first.

[YOUTUBE="diy compression test"]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_tbksFYhl4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_tbksFYhl4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

skylineguy2612

well they are similar (my bad) i meant for this one to be specifically like a buyers guide of what to look for and ask about and the other is just about a car... sorry bout that.