car won't start after head swap

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
So I've swapped the head of my B18C1 with a B16A2. I have connected everything properly. I was finishing it up today, checked the valve clearance and filled it with all the fluids. At one point I had the car started and was driving it but it felt and sounded like it was only running off 1 cylinder. I took the valve cover off and had adjusted the timing a bit by taking the timing belt off, and moving it advanced or retard 1 notch. I did that because when I was taking the head off at first, I think the timing went off. I went to adjust the valve clearance (the proper way), and ever since, the thing won't start. I have tried changing the timing 1 notch back and checking the valve clearance, then tried starting it but it's always the same story. It will turn over but it just won't start. I'm about to post this damn thing on kijiji for $100 I'm so sick of it.

When I took the head off, I made sure the timing was at TDC but the pistons weren't at the very top of the cylinder. Should they be all the way or or should they be slightly below the lip? I'm pretty sure it's a timing thing but spending hours and hours on the same thing just sucks and seems like there is a better way. Is there any way to make sure I can set the timing without removing my head completely again? Is there anything you can think of that I could do that would get this car running?

I think you have a timing issue. Have someone else come over and set the timing belt and see if that helps. It sounds like you mis-aligned something when you set it.

Jabes

when the motors at tdc does the timing belt cover mark lineup with the crank pulley mark like in this picture?

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
when the motors at tdc does the timing belt cover mark lineup with the crank pulley mark like in this picture?

That helps a ton. I will take the covers off and make sure my "TDC" is actually TDC. I did not know about that. thanks

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
if it's not timing, could it be my ECU? I'm using a stock 96' GSR ECU.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
check your grounds. Make sure the one on the thermostat housing is tight. Make sure you have the ground on the head secured. Are you using your old gsr dizzy?

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
yup, my B18 dizzy, didn't remove the block, using the GSR cams, and the B16 intake manifold. I don't know if there is any other info you need. the plugs spark.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
you may have knocked it loose because that ground on the thermostat housing is for EVERYTHING, Dizzy, Injectors etc. worth a quick look over.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
where is it located? I tried to google it but I don't really know what I'm looking for so it's hard to see where it's located on the engine

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
thermostat housing there is a ground. theres 3 grounds in total on the car. Tranny motor and one for the other stuff ie injectors. its located on the thermostat housing

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
So I looked at the pulley. If the BTDC is 16 degrees, my timing was off by more then 16 degrees. I got my timing all properized (...properized?). Took the car for a spin, and it feels great. So now I have a B18C1 block with a B16A2 head. The difference is very noticeable for sure. I could most definitely use some new engine mounts though. That's next on my list though.

Thanks for the help guys.