What Oil for high mileage?

Kumokosi-Kun

This may be EXTREMELY late on my part, but better to learn now than later. I just got my oil changed at Tire Kingdom, because I had a coupon. So I took it told them, and they suggested that they put in 5W-30. I don't know too much about the differences about oil, so I just agreed, sat down, and waited until it was done. Now, when I look at the receipt, it says they put in 5W-20. I asked the associate to make sure that it was right, and he said that 5W-30 and 5W-20 are the same thing. I was wondering if this was true? And my friend also told me that the oil that was put in was WAY too light for my car's mileage. I have 139,xxx. If this is also true, will the current oil damage my engine in any way? Or do I need to change it out again? Comments and help is greatly appreciated!

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
the weight is fine. the numbers represent the 'thickness' (viscosity) of the oil. the thicker the oil, the longer it will take to spread out thru the motor.

i use 5w 20 or 30 full synthetic on an engine with 270k+. next time, i suggest you use synthetic. yeah its more expensive, but if you want you engine to live longer, go with the synthetic.

Kumokosi-Kun

the weight is fine. the numbers represent the 'thickness' (viscosity) of the oil. the thicker the oil, the longer it will take to spread out thru the motor.

i use 5w 20 or 30 full synthetic on an engine with 270k+. next time, i suggest you use synthetic. yeah its more expensive, but if you want you engine to live longer, go with the synthetic.
Yeah, I guess if I'm just daily driving, it should be fine. I was also told to ask for 5W-40. I'm pretty sure synthetic is more demanding, but will that also work as a good substitute?

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
Good link mirrorimg

My old 83 prelude used to die all the time until I put in a heavier oil, the pressure then allowed it to run without my having to pump the pedal. I bet the previous guy must have beat it like the neighbor's dog.

I personally would worry that some wights might be a little too thick and it would not run efficiently, but it shouldn't damage the car. The key thing is that is has oil.

My 94 GSR has 175k and my 97 Accord has 340k and I use 5w-30 in both and I personally choose valvoline's maxlife product. I haven't had any problems yet.

Kumokosi-Kun

Good link mirrorimg

My old 83 prelude used to die all the time until I put in a heavier oil, the pressure then allowed it to run without my having to pump the pedal. I bet the previous guy must have beat it like the neighbor's dog.

I personally would worry that some wights might be a little too thick and it would not run efficiently, but it shouldn't damage the car. The key thing is that is has oil.

My 94 GSR has 175k and my 97 Accord has 340k and I use 5w-30 in both and I personally choose valvoline's maxlife product. I haven't had any problems yet.
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure they weren't failing at their job when it comes to oil changes. I know it's fine for now, but I'm definitely going to use a thicker type next time. I might try synthetic first, and then experiment every oil change around. I just didn't want my baby suffering is all. Haha.

Cman46290

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure they weren't failing at their job when it comes to oil changes. I know it's fine for now, but I'm definitely going to use a thicker type next time. I might try synthetic first, and then experiment every oil change around. I just didn't want my baby suffering is all. Haha.
One thing to know.... once you go full synthetic.... you cant go back to regular oil.

i would stick to a conventional... or a synthetic blend... that way you arent stuck using full synthetic after putting it in there...

Our cars burn a lot of oil... and topping off all the time with synthetic.... or even doing every oil change with synthetic will start to get quite pricey. just a caution or something to think about~

Last edited:

Kumokosi-Kun

One thing to know.... once you go full synthetic.... you cant go back to regular oil.

i would stick to a conventional... or a synthetic blend... that way you arent stuck using full synthetic after putting it in there...
:O

you can go back. just do an engine flush if you want to. i dont see why you would tho..
Hm. Isn't synthetic better anyway? Like, why is it better? And if it's not too much of a difference price wise, I don't see why not.

mirrorimg

Synthetic oil has an extended life over conventional, so you would not have to do oil changes every 3k because the lubrication life cycle of the oil lasts for longer.

The only way you would be able to tell for your car would be to send in an oil sample after 3k miles to get it tested. They will let you know how much further you can drive on the oil after the 3k. Costs about $20.

The worry people have about synthetic vs conventional is the synthetic breaking down oil build up and deposits. Sometimes they are plugging small pinholes, and end up developing leaks because the grime sealing the hole is removed. Also, there is a potential for that buildup, if bad enough, clogging oil galleys and starving the engine of oil.

I dont know why you would say "once you go to synthetic, you cant go back." Most synthetics (if not all now) are compatible with conventional oil. Do you have any backup for your claims?

Cman46290

Synthetic oil has an extended life over conventional, so you would not have to do oil changes every 3k because the lubrication life cycle of the oil lasts for longer.

The only way you would be able to tell for your car would be to send in an oil sample after 3k miles to get it tested. They will let you know how much further you can drive on the oil after the 3k. Costs about $20.

The worry people have about synthetic vs conventional is the synthetic breaking down oil build up and deposits. Sometimes they are plugging small pinholes, and end up developing leaks because the grime sealing the hole is removed. Also, there is a potential for that buildup, if bad enough, clogging oil galleys and starving the engine of oil.

I dont know why you would say "once you go to synthetic, you cant go back." Most synthetics (if not all now) are compatible with conventional oil. Do you have any backup for your claims?

It has ALWAYS been a rule of thumb to NOT go back to conventional after using full synthetic. Do as you would like. I went to school for mechanics... worked at a Honda dealership as a tech.... and now coordinate maintencnce and repairs on fleet vehicles for the biggest fleet/rental company in the world..... but what do I know. :2confused

This now adays may not be as relevant as it used to be...considering the properties and additives to oil have changed over time... and it may or may not hurt your engine at all....i am just saying its prolly not worth chancing it. I would either go synthetic.... and stay that way... or just use a conventional.... because im sure you would hate to end up with some wierd random oil leak out of nowhere...

Last edited:

j13

Keep It Clean
You'll be fine with that oil.

I have 10-30 Royal I'm about to hit 4000miles with it. At 4500miles I'm going to change it.

Kun, did you put synthetic?