How to: Install NRG Short hub and quick Release + Lock on Integra 3G's

Aznxtasy

So apparently.. there's no good consolidated site for just integras. I figured I'd make a good comprehensive one

Needed Tools: 19mm socket w/ extension. Torx 30 tamper-proof bit, Flat Head, Phillips Head, and Wire cutter.
20-30min of your day.

Step 1: Remove negative terminal of battery. Unless you wanna chance it with an airbag to the face

Step 2: Pop off the bottom service cover of the steering wheel. Remove Airbag harness.

Step 3: Pop off both Left side cover and right side steering wheel plastic covers. (Right side is beneath cruise control) Remove both Torx-30 bolts holding in the air bag.

Left

Right

Step 4: Once you take off the airbag. Should expose the 19mm bolt holding the steering wheel to the column. Remove it, if its stuck on then bring out pipe to use as a breaker bar.

Step 5: Make sure to disconnect the black and the green harness from above

Step 6: Make sure you're wheel is turned into the straight position. Remove the stock steering wheel. Should just pull right off. If not, wiggle and pull out a little.

Step 7: Should be staring at the SRS wire spindle.

Step 8: Remove the plastic cover covering the screws you need to remove from the SRS wire spindle.
3 screws with a phillips head. 2 in the front, 1 in the center toward the firewall.

Step 8: Remove all 3 screws holding in the SRS spindle.

Step 9: You will notice the SRS spindle has one harness and then a hardwire attached to it. If someone wants to add in. I believe its just the 2 gray wires go into the spindle for the airbag and cruise control? I just cut them. off.

Step 10: Take your NRG short hub and install onto the steering column. Its not pictured, but line up the two notches on the back of the hub up to the two metal pieces sticking up from the column. You'll know it when you see it. Put 19mm bolt back on voila. 1/2 way there!

Step 11: Fasten quick release plate to the top of the NRG Short hub with supplied 6 hex bolts and allen key.

Step 12: Attach Quick release to your steering wheel. Use hex bolts supplied with steering wheel.

Step 13: If everything has gone right you should be able to pop your steering wheel on and off!

For bonus extra credit you can also use a quick release lock too.. to deter them pesky thieves from using their own quick release steering wheel if they happened to have one :2confused

Last edited:

Aznxtasy

I never understood why there wasn't one good comprehensive Teggy write up. I saw one, but its to install an SRS steering wheel. Who does that? unless u want a JDM Type R wheel I suppose

BeatBox

Real Good!
i want one too :(

so a little less than $250 for short hub and steering wheel? man def wanna get one now

:writes down on Xmas list:

Last edited:

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
How much did you get your lock for? does it work on all generations of the NRG quick release?

Aznxtasy

Weaksauce gots em for $119. There may be other places to get em, I just got a package so I saved some cash. I'd say its a good investment to protect your car.

mirrorimg

Just so everyone knows, because our cars are SRS equipped, unplugging the airbag and installing a steering wheel will turn on the SRS light unless something is done to turn it off.

On normal start ups, the SRS light should come on for a couple seconds, then turn off. If you unplug the airbag, the light will stay on permanently. If you remove the light bulb, then it will not flash when you turn the car on. Both of these will be an automatic failure for a state inspection. I recommend not selling your original steering wheel, and reinstalling before going in for a state inspection.

Aznxtasy

ditto what he just said. Though I live in GA. And thank god my ITR Cluster doesnt have an SRS light. LOL

Rich-PMS

Great write up!

Now if only I can find a good looking wheel with purple stitching to match my shiftboot :)

BeatBox

Real Good!
Just so everyone knows, because our cars are SRS equipped, unplugging the airbag and installing a steering wheel will turn on the SRS light unless something is done to turn it off.

On normal start ups, the SRS light should come on for a couple seconds, then turn off. If you unplug the airbag, the light will stay on permanently. If you remove the light bulb, then it will not flash when you turn the car on. Both of these will be an automatic failure for a state inspection. I recommend not selling your original steering wheel, and reinstalling before going in for a state inspection.
no state inspections in INDIAN FTW! id fail with honors if we did

Aznxtasy

some one misses their ignition a lot... lol
Honestly I just noticed that. Haha.. well previous owner who knows. I know some of those I can attribute to being tired after a nite of drinking, waking up with a hangover and driving home. *Shrug* I should just buff that out somehow..

stroke me b18

posting for post count
i want one too :(

so a little less than $250 for short hub and steering wheel? man def wanna get one now

:writes down on Xmas list:
my total for the short hub, quick-release, steering wheel, and lock was just under $600:shock:

you might want to ask more than 1 person for all that