Ls/vtec

g3teg97

Super Moderator
As some of you may know, I'm doing research on this and hopefully by the end of summer I'll have it done. Now, I've been reading up from this link Hybrid How-To No 16: Building the LS/VTEC engine and various threads on Honda-Tech.

I want to do this right the first time and not cut corners without building the bottom end. When I talked to my mechanic he said just get a B16 head and a ITR IM. Would it be neccesary to get an oil pan/pickup, main block girdle, and oil squirters? If I do that then, do I need to get another crankshaft? If I don't will the OEM Honda Rod and Crank Bearings work?

I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced about a month ago so would I need to replace it with a GS-R waterpump and timing belt? Are they different from the Non-VTEC engines?

From my understanding this is the bare mininum on parts:

·DOHC VTEC B-series cylinder head complete with valve cover, intake manifold, VTEC solenoid assembly and internals
· VTEC ECU
· VTEC B-series distributor
· '90-'01 Integra LS head gasket
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R head bolts (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic Si)
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R water pump (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic Si)
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R timing belt (also Type R)
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R knock sensor (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic Si)
· -4 steel braided hose with female ends, 22 inches in length
· 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch BSPT male on run pipe tee
· 1/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
· 3/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
· 1/8-inch internal pipe plug
· 1/8-inch NPT pipe tap
· 3/8-inch NPT pipe tap
· 14mm drill bit
· 10.9mm drill bit
· 12mmx1.25mm tap

I know my mechanic probably knows everything about the engines and LS/VTEC since he's building another one for one of his friends. I just want to know more about it. Does anyone in this forum have a LS / VTEC engine?

integrayean

inline4 whore
g3teg97 said:
As some of you may know, I'm doing research on this and hopefully by the end of summer I'll have it done. Now, I've been reading up from this link Hybrid How-To No 16: Building the LS/VTEC engine and various threads on Honda-Tech.

I want to do this right the first time and not cut corners without building the bottom end. When I talked to my mechanic he said just get a B16 head and a ITR IM. Would it be neccesary to get an oil pan/pickup, main block girdle, and oil squirters? If I do that then, do I need to get another crankshaft? If I don't will the OEM Honda Rod and Crank Bearings work?

I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced about a month ago so would I need to replace it with a GS-R waterpump and timing belt? Are they different from the Non-VTEC engines?

From my understanding this is the bare mininum on parts:

·DOHC VTEC B-series cylinder head complete with valve cover, intake manifold, VTEC solenoid assembly and internals
· VTEC ECU
· VTEC B-series distributor
· '90-'01 Integra LS head gasket
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R head bolts (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic Si)
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R water pump (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic Si)
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R timing belt (also Type R)
· '94-'01 Integra GS-R knock sensor (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic Si)
· -4 steel braided hose with female ends, 22 inches in length
· 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch BSPT male on run pipe tee
· 1/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
· 3/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
· 1/8-inch internal pipe plug
· 1/8-inch NPT pipe tap
· 3/8-inch NPT pipe tap
· 14mm drill bit
· 10.9mm drill bit
· 12mmx1.25mm tap

I know my mechanic probably knows everything about the engines and LS/VTEC since he's building another one for one of his friends. I just want to know more about it. Does anyone in this forum have a LS / VTEC engine?
i would recommend getting the oil pickup and stuff for the sake of your engine life from golden eagle, im planning on doing my ls/vtec too but havent had the money to finish the project. i have a 98 gsr head with cpu if interested.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I am most likely going with the Golden Eage kit (my mechanic and I discussed this). Probably going with a B16A head.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Looks like youre on your way, my opinion is you want a strong bottom end meaning you want to go high in the rpm range if im not wrong, personally all the people i know with ls vtec say theres no point in going past 8000 rpm with the ls bottom for the fact that at that engine speed the ls piston is going as fast as a gsr piston would be at 9000 rpm, yes you can buid your bottom end but they say you wont be making any more power just beacause youre shifting at 8500 rpm, plus as you might know that could mean disaster for that block
As far as the timing belt i think the ls block is a tad longer that the gsr so it might be a tight fit putting the timing belt but ill ask might be about a toth off but not sure, never heard any commets about that subject but ill ask

g3teg97

Super Moderator
My goal is to build this motor to be strong. I want this engine to last more than 200,000k miles. The redline I'm not concerned about, I just don't want to rev in the higer RPM range and destroy anything. I don't have the luxury of making this solely a project car, it has to be a daily.

1nT3g12a

yeah im planning on doing LS/ Vtec soon...hopefully by summer..

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Depending on how aggresive your cams are, you may want to go with a Toda or Greddy timing belt.
Maybe ARP head studs would be better to go with than oem, you can pull the head off repeatedly and reuse the ARP's, oem's are one time use only.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I'm looking into Skunk2 Camshafts, Valvesprings, Retainers, and Camgears. I'm probably going with CTR Pistons.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Well ctr pistons will give you more compression but b/c they have such a high dome it might be a problem on some applications, what i've hear is that a b16 longblock does not accept them b/c there might be some valve hitting issues, but dont quote me on that, gsr head is another story, I think itr pistons with a slim head gasket like toda's or spoon will give you about the same comp. with some ctr cams will make you happy