99 LS Thermostat replacement

ckdavis28

Ready to replace my thermostat. Haynes manual not very detailed. Anybdy have any pointers for me. Thanks......

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
Whats not very detailed about it? I can take a few pic's for ya but its actually a pretty simply fix. Drain your coolant or as much coolant you need to drain without major spilling, follow the Lower radiator hose to the engine side, disconnect the hose as well as the Engine Coolant Temp switch. There's only 2 bolts holding the housing on they're each 10mm. It's not always completely necessary to replace the gasket with the thermostat BUT if you've got it all apart and it costs next to nothing why WOULDN'T you replace it?! So out with the old and in with the new. Be aware once the old t-stat comes off a lot of coolant in the coolant bypass pipe likes to follow lol. The new T-stat doesn't just go in anyway, make sure the spring side is towards the engine as well as the jiggle pin (thats right I said jiggle pin lol) is at the top. Put the housing back on with the 10mm bolts finger tight and then torque them down to 104 in-lbs (pounds per INCH - not pounds per foot) be aware because its easy to overtighten and break the housing and then you have a major problem. Plug the ECT switch back in and put the hose back on and tighten with hose clamp. Fill the radiator with some good coolant and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO AIRPOCKETS!!!!!!! make sure the t-stat operates and opens correctly, drive, and enjoy!

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
its very easy to do, just follow his insturctions and you should be done in 30 minutes and drivin fine