Integra GSR, G-Stock or ST??

Leolo007

Hey guys, as some of you may know, I recently purchased a stock 2000 Integra GSR.

I plan to autocross it but I would like to know, from people who have been around, in what class would my car be more competitive? Stock or ST? Or other?

Let's keep this objective.

Thanks in advanced!

Leo

Last edited:

Leolo007

I thought there were some autocrossers in this forum... 39 views and no answer?

I guess I'll stay stock, just because I believe it will help the teggy retain its value.

Plus in my first event with the car I finished 2nd in novice and 15th in PAX with nothing done to the car (considering I can change shocks, filter, cat-back exhaust and most importantly R-compound tires!

Leolo007

Hey Rich, dont think about it, just do it. First time I went I had zero racing experience and I didnt know anybody there. And I had a great time!

Leolo007

is this for SCCA? stock should be GS class
Yes sir, SCCA G-Stock!! But a few mods would put me in ST correct?

I've seen your posts around the forum, I was hoping you would comment on my thread, I think I could learn a thing or two from you.:thumbup:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
oooh sorry my brain doesnt function so well at work and i just reilized gs is g stock. I belive in GS you can run any bolt on except fuel lines or injectors and have your car lowered. I was able to at least when i ran with a group who followed SCCA classifications.

But the auto x guru of CI is Konerri ive only participated in a few auto x events, hes your man to talk to if you have questions about what mod pushes me up to what class

konerri

G-Stock. the only thing you can have is a cat back - i recommend not exhaust system at this point. just dump it after the cat. this is legal. you can only a different filter then stock but must be a OEM design. It must also fit in the stock location. You have any shock setup out there as long as the ride height and top hats are still OEM. You can have aftermarket wheels are long as they are the same size with +- 8 mm offset. Brake lines much be OEM. Brake pads and brake rotors must be OEM style. NO slotted, drilled or bigger rotors. You can have a bigger sway bar but only in the front. Everything inside the car that came with the car from ACURA must still be there; rear seats, etc.... No aftermarket steering wheels or anything thing like that. The key to going fast the the Stock classes is tires, tires, tires. Even in these classes money starts come in a count very fast. You can run on racing slick tires. HOOSIER A6 tires seem to be the repeat best tires for AutoX. But this is serious people. Tires are 250+ each. I would recommend just good street tires for your first year. Get use to the race tires behavior of heat. heat will give race tires more traction. too much heat and you'll lose traction. tire pressure is key. the right pressure can give you up to 1 sec on some coarse. Tires i would recommend is the Dizzera Z1 start specs. Learn how to drive the car and find its limits. and improve on that. Also, coarse memorization is key. Every time you go to an event the coarse is different. i like to walk the coarse at least 4 times before my first lap. This way my first lap is like my fifth. AutoX lines are completely different from road racing lines.

If this is too expensive already. Then ST is differently not the class for you. In ST, to be competitive the first thing you'll need is a customer valved suspension setup specifically for autoX. A road racing setup is a waste of time once your in this area of motor sports. A These are easily in the 3,000 range. Then engine management comes into play. Also, drilled/slotted rotors, braided lines, intake systems and headers. A new a guy that had a header that cost 1,000. Camber is key in this class. wheels can now be bigger but watch your wheels width. SSR type C RS wheels seem to be the most popular wheels in ST classes. Got to have racing seats at this point. they must also be FIA approved. The cheapest seats i found are RaceTech. they make fair quality seats and their prices are reasonable.

All this is assuming our are a first class driver.

Regional level -> Divisional level -> National level.

Off coarse this is speaking "to be competitive" at Divisional levels. Most likely in your first year, you try to win the novice class and then to win your class in the Regional. In the regional, there isn't much competition unless you have someone in your class who is a divisional candidate. I ran my civic in the HS against a National Candidate and i could never beat him.

But being honest, the integra is a bad choice for auotX competition if you want to be competitive. Sorry, to say but it is true. EXCEPT for the type R. The typeR is a front runner in DS. And has been for the last couple of years.

if you do some homework, the ST classes at the national level is dominated by EF civics. Last year, Karcepts or was it K-tuned ran a EG with a k20 swap in Street Modified(SM) and won the Nationals, i think. i use to keep up with all of us this but have been lagging in the last past year since i wasn't very actively racing.

hope this helps. This is just a little in site to what you will expect if you really want to do this.

Last edited:

Leolo007

Thanks Konerri, back in 2003 I raced an EG hatch with JDM B18C in SM but I was short of a lot of mods that I was allowed and never did. havent raced ever since and now Im am getting back into it.
My biggest concern was that I wanted to modify the GSR that I recently purchased but I also wanted to race in stock class so very little mods allowed... I guess since I wont be competitive in either class I can just modify my car all I want, race in whatever class that puts me in and have fun. And in a few years, when I feel I've had some reasonable seat time and can be fairly competitive then I can think of buying a car that is a better contender.

I already know I like racing, it wasnt my choice to stop racing back in 2003. I cant wait for the 2011 season to start.

Thanks again for your comments!

squarehead

Old guy
Have you run at all yet this year? I'm wondering how your exploits have been and which class you decided to end up in.

I'm going through the same thing, myself. I did a couple years of SCCA SoloII about a 12 years ago, and since have been club racing formula cars. Driving a Jeep every day, I lost the feeling of driving a fun daily driver. Recently got a GS-R and I'm looking to do a few SoloII events with the wife in the new car. I'd like to do a few things to the car (namely drop the 4x4 look), but I'd like to stay in G-stock.

I'm going though the GCR and I am puzzled by the relatively open modification rules for the ST classes on street tires only, and they still limit wheel size, springs and just about everything else in Stock, yet allow expensive R-compound DOT race tires. Makes no sense to me, but whatever. I'm not really sure if I want to dive into the ultra-competitive and potentially very expensive STS class or not. Though, Stock class tire bills might be more than doing an STS car over time.

What did you wind up doing for 2011?

Leolo007

Hey Squarehead, I havent raced any this year, and I only did one event in 2010. I got second place in novice class though :D

Unforunately Im selling the car. I need a 4 door car and I cant keep the GSR... I know Im going to regret selling this car like I regret selling my GSR powered 92civic hatch. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I sure hope to be back in the racing scene soon.

Good luck with your racing!