How To: Hypermile (Integra Specific)

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I've done a lot of reading on Hypermiling online and watched many videos, but sense each car is a little different, I wanted to start a thread on Hypermiling with attention to the Integra. The EPA Estimates for my 1994 Integra GSR are as follows;
CITY: 22mpg
HIGHWAY: 28mpg
COMBINED: 24mpg
I have been recording my fuel purchases and MPG's since about August of 2010. I do this online through FuelEconomy.gov. About 50% City Driving and 50% Highway. My current combined average is 29mpg and my best ever was an all highway tank of 39.1mpg, worst ever tank 22.3mpg.

How I Drive
The way I drive when driving for maximum efficiency is to upshift at 2,000rpms, downshift when around 1,000rpms. It takes me about 3 seconds of acceleration to achieve 2,000rpms in gears 1 through 3, for gears 4 and 5, 4-5sec is more appropriate. If I know I have to stop, I coast in gear to the stop because the fuel injectors are turned off meaning I am not using any gasoline (Note: This is only true when RPMS are over 950rpms, or about 1,500 rpm's when cold. Below that, the ecu turns on injectors to avoid stalling out the vehicle). If its a red-light, I try to never stop on my way towards it as coming to a complete stop is the same as getting ZERO MPG. Ill do an occasional Pulse and Glide from 70mph to 50mph by accelerating to 70mph and the letting it coast in Neutral down to 50mph. From 50mph, it takes me about 16 seconds to get it back to 70mph before doing it again. If there is too much traffic, I drive in the slower lanes on the freeway and drive between about 60mph which according to my estimates is around 40mpg. When dealing with uphills, I do not depress my gas pedal more to continue at same speed as this burns more gas, I leave it at the same position and possibly downshift if hill is to steep. Example would be cruising at 60mph and upon start of climb, depending on grade of hill I may drop to as low as 50mph.
When needing to use AC, only use it when driving over 45mph. When driving slower than 45mph, go ahead and roll down the window(s) but when on the freeway, roll up all the windows and use your air-conditioner. Remember to have the vents on recirculate to avoid having to cool down the hot outside air.

The Question
Please share with everyone else your driving technique and your average MPG and if you see something that I myself may be doing wrong, please point it out and I will share my future recordings to see what kind of results I can get. I am particularly interested in shift points and how long it takes you to reach a specific RPM.

I hope this thread is extremely beneficial to all who read it. If you try out the above methods, please leave a comment on how your MPG's have changed. Thanks!
-Aaron

Last edited:

01FTW

My driving technique is as follows:

When its raining or snowing drive slower and shifter lower (RPM).

When roads are dry vtec is engaged often. :) There is a lot of downshifting and heel and toeing going on. :suprise:

I don't get good gas mileage...:cry:

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Nice review of your driving! I dont monitor my gas usage that often mainly because Im too lazy, but the most ive gotten is about 40, and the least is about 22. The 22 is when I feel like 'racing' everywhere, and the 40 mpg is when I completely devote myself to save gas. When my engine is up to normal temp, Ill shift up at 3000 and downshift at 2200 or so. If im coming to a stop or red light, I normally coast from as far back as I can (I look for lights to change to yellow from very far back to save fuel) and keep it in gear so that I slow down more.

Question - Do you use gas when you're in gear but off the gas? Like more than idle? Why use your brakes when your rpms can just slow you down.

One thing I do that Im very curious about in terms of mpg's, is skipping gears. I save my clutch as much as I can by not making full stops (california stop) and starting in 2nd. I feel like my speed goes up the same as when I shift from 2 - 4, than 2 - 3 - 4. Just that I dont get as much power when in high rpms. Ill either shift from 1 - 3 - 5 or 2 - 4 - 5. I really dont know if this helps anything at all, but Im very curious as to if it does.

Would you test this out and see if it helps mpg? Im too busy to keep track of mpg that often, and Im broke half the time so I put in like 5 bucks :/.

Does anyone know If skipping gears hurts any part of the transmission, I dont believe so, but I may be wrong.

01FTW

Nice review of your driving! I dont monitor my gas usage that often mainly because Im too lazy, but the most ive gotten is about 40, and the least is about 22. The 22 is when I feel like 'racing' everywhere, and the 40 mpg is when I completely devote myself to save gas. When my engine is up to normal temp, Ill shift up at 3000 and downshift at 2200 or so. If im coming to a stop or red light, I normally coast from as far back as I can (I look for lights to change to yellow from very far back to save fuel) and keep it in gear so that I slow down more.

Question - Do you use gas when you're in gear but off the gas? Like more than idle? Why use your brakes when your rpms can just slow you down.

One thing I do that Im very curious about in terms of mpg's, is skipping gears. I save my clutch as much as I can by not making full stops (california stop) and starting in 2nd. I feel like my speed goes up the same as when I shift from 2 - 4, than 2 - 3 - 4. Just that I dont get as much power when in high rpms. Ill either shift from 1 - 3 - 5 or 2 - 4 - 5. I really dont know if this helps anything at all, but Im very curious as to if it does.

Would you test this out and see if it helps mpg? Im too busy to keep track of mpg that often, and Im broke half the time so I put in like 5 bucks :/.

Does anyone know If skipping gears hurts any part of the transmission, I dont believe so, but I may be wrong.
Wow thats an odd shifting technique. Not sure about MPG, but I think shifting in that manner can put more wear on your clutch.

rockadilla

thats right.

im 99% positive that skipping gears doesnt hurt the tranny, why would it? its the drivers choice to choose which gear he wants to be in not the cars lol

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Wow thats an odd shifting technique. Not sure about MPG, but I think shifting in that manner can put more wear on your clutch.
Well its just to save the clutch lol. Why would it put more wear and tear on it?
I wasn't sure that Hondas had enough power to skip a gear...
Haha, just enough power to get me goin.

sylvaner01

hmm I can get about 650KM from a tank on my 2nd gen, not sure if that is extremely good or not, (this is road trip milage btw, city driving is about 500+)
I tried different ways of driving, somebody suggested to me to change into second gear at only 2500rpm but i go nowhere near the km from the tank as changing at 3000rpm, I think the reason for this is because the engine has to work harder to build up the same speed.
every car is different, the way you drive it can dramatically increase/decrease fuel economy....
i usually jump into 2nd at about 3000-3200, 3rd 3200 and 4th 2700 and i use 5th whenever u can because in 4th at 80km i'm doing about 3200 rpm but in 5th i'm only doing 2300 which can save massively on fuel.
as far as coasting goes I would love to learn more on that, do all generation integras have this feature where the injectors "shut off"? I thought this was only used in later model expensive cars, anybody got any more information on this?
Thanks

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Thank you 01FTW and sylvaner01 for actually answering the question=*D
To 01FTW: I usually coast in gear off gas when moving towards a stop. I do the same thing you do. I don’t think I’ll be skipping gears as the whole point of having 5 gears is to maintain that RPM Range that is most efficient for our engines. Add to that, I've never seen the skipping gears idea on any hypermiling video or webpage.
Its winter time here in California so I’m thinking of putting in a radiator block, probably not a full one, to reach normal operating temperature faster. This is a common Modification that is done to gain MPG's. Keep the driving habits coming! Thanks.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Filled up recently and what I will be trying on this next tank is to never go over 3,000 rpm. 2nd, For gears 1 through 3, work on having it take me 6 seconds to reach 3,000rpm and for 4th and 5th, around 7 to 8 seconds to reach that. Will post final numbers.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Threw in a piece of cardboard as a radiator block as my car has just not been warming up fast enough around here, been a little too cold, covers I would say around 40% of radiator maybe more.

sylvaner01

Wow thats a really interesting idea theIVJackal, should post that as a new thread on how to's!
managed to pull 650KM from a tank from a driving trip I just had, best roads you have ever seen!