My CRX HF - misfire and shaking...need ideas to help fix it!!!

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
Hi everyone,

As some of you know i bought a 1988 CRX HF as a DD. I have been doing some work on it just general repairs but it still has a misfire and the car shakes sometimes as well. This all happens around 1500-2000 rpms and in partial throttle (if i had to guess like 10-25% throttle). When it is coasting and under a heavier throttle it is fine but in that specified area it shakes and i can hear it misfire as well.

I need help with this!!

Here is what i have replaced so far on the car

MAP sensor, TPS sensor (at idle the voltage is like .528)
new cap and rotor on distributor
new plugs, wires
new O2 sensor
new fuel filter

any imput is appreciated...thanks

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
Hi everyone,

As some of you know i bought a 1988 CRX HF as a DD. I have been doing some work on it just general repairs but it still has a misfire and the car shakes sometimes as well. This all happens around 1500-2000 rpms and in partial throttle (if i had to guess like 10-25% throttle). When it is coasting and under a heavier throttle it is fine but in that specified area it shakes and i can hear it misfire as well.

I need help with this!!

Here is what i have replaced so far on the car

MAP sensor, TPS sensor (at idle the voltage is like .528)
new cap and rotor on distributor
new plugs, wires
new O2 sensor
new fuel filter

any imput is appreciated...thanks
man my bad about the other day when i told you the map sensor, but honesty it could be the distributor i complete forgot my friend had the same problem b4, see if you can find someone to let you us there distributor b4 you go and buy one but im sure thats the problem now

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
man my bad about the other day when i told you the map sensor, but honesty it could be the distributor i complete forgot my friend had the same problem b4, see if you can find someone to let you us there distributor b4 you go and buy one but im sure thats the problem now
yeah its hard to find a CRX HF dizzy though i might go to the junkyard but i have a feeling it might be something more than the dizzy but idk im just stumped

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
yeah its hard to find a CRX HF dizzy though i might go to the junkyard but i have a feeling it might be something more than the dizzy but idk im just stumped
you can us any obd0 civic distributor, i just hope you don't buy one and its not that but i searched and other people have said distributor could be the issue

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
you can us any obd0 civic distributor, i just hope you don't buy one and its not that but i searched and other people have said distributor could be the issue
oh ok well ill try and find one and try that...the only other thing i thought of with the shaking is something with the clutch not grabbing or something...i checked all the suspension and everything looks good and is tight

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
oh ok well ill try and find one and try that...the only other thing i thought of with the shaking is something with the clutch not grabbing or something...i checked all the suspension and everything looks good and is tight
its like a misfire or sputter right, like when you hold the throttle at 1500-2000

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
its like a misfire or sputter right, like when you hold the throttle at 1500-2000
yeah but it only does it when im driving it, like in neutral or at a standstill i havent noticed it

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
yeah but it only does it when im driving it, like in neutral or at a standstill i havent noticed it
interesting, sounds like a misfire but i cant explain it not shaking in neutral, i guess try the distributor idea out, just as long as you can borrow one

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
interesting, sounds like a misfire but i cant explain it not shaking in neutral, i guess try the distributor idea out, just as long as you can borrow one
yea imma try...i put a different set of wheels on today and that didnt help so i know its not a wheel problem

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
is it the engine shaking or is it a suspension issue?
see thats what im confused about...like i do hear the motor misfire, but the shaking might be coming from something else...i checked all the suspension components and everything seemed fine...the only thing that seemed wierd is the driver side outer/inner tie rod seemed loose - not at the ball joint, but the actual rod that goes into the steering rack

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
see thats what im confused about...like i do hear the motor misfire, but the shaking might be coming from something else...i checked all the suspension components and everything seemed fine...the only thing that seemed wierd is the driver side outer/inner tie rod seemed loose - not at the ball joint, but the actual rod that goes into the steering rack
would you be able to get a video like a cell phone video when the car shakes at 1,500-2,000 rpm's, and put it on photobucket, then link it to this page, im pretty sure the misfire is causing the shake and the distributor is the one to blame but need more evidence

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
You can't use any obd0 distributor, has to be from either a HF or SI, DX is a bastard child. Ever looked up parts needed to do a DPFI to MPFI conversion? Requires you to run a HF/SI dizzy, reason being is the DX dizzy doesnt have the CKP built inside of it. However some of the internal parts from the DX will work, such as the ignitor and coil. My bet is your coil or ignitor is going bad inside the distributor.

Last edited:

mjones73

There's an inner tie rod screwed on to the rack, they go bad also.