DIY: Vtec Solenoid Gasket!!!

Cripton805

DIY: Vtec Solenoid Replace & Gasket!!!

Ok. So I know some people don't know what a Vtec solenoid is or that they can leak oil.
So here's a write up for the newbs "or" non newbs that need the info. :)

Honda does NOT recommend that you take this piece apart, but these gaskets are prone to fail and some reps will even argue that they DO NOT sell this gasket. That is false.
Another common problem is the myth that B series Vtec solenoids are different. "they are not"
I will never say that H or D series fit unless I do it myself. I do not know.
For this DIY I'm replacing my USDM B18C1 Vtec solenoid for a JDM B16A solenoid AND replacing the gasket. (haha 2 for 1)

PRE-STEP! (TAKE OFF NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL THEN UNPLUG THE VTEC SOLENOID)

1. Locate the Vtec solenoid and use 10mm socket to remove the 3 bolts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. This is what is should look like taken off.

3. Remove old leaky gasket and it should look like this (clean very well after removal. I hadn't yet)

4. Clean the bottom other half of the Vtec solenoid bolted to the head.

5. Obtain a new gasket and a small screen filter is attached.

6. Place the gasket / screen on the Vtec solenoid with the screen filter going "UP' inside the small hole.

7. VERY IMPORTANT! = Carefully place back on and "HAND" tighten the three bolts.
Torque the bolts to 7.2 ft/lb and NO MORE. Plug the Vtec solenoid back in and plug in your negative termial.

THIS IS WHAT A BROKEN VTEC SOLENOID LOOKS LIKE IF YOU OVER-TIGHTEN! BE VERY CAREFUL

I hope this is useful to people and please post as a sticky to later refer to.
If you see any mistakes, please PM me / comment and I'll research the mistake.
I am not responsible to your negligence or anything you do to your car. thx

FOR THE JDM B16 SOLENOID I HAD TO REMOVE THE SMALL GASKET IN THE PLUG AND A PLASTIC PIECE. I AM NOT SURE WHICH PLUGS ARE LIKE THIS
BEFORE TO AFTER TO FIT B18C1

Please provide positive Rep. If this helped you. That would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Last edited:

djh1991

nice =] i figured this out myself a while ago, just didnt have the new gasket.
also, i have a CEL saying vtec oil pressure low, this is probably it isnt it?

where can i buy the gasket?

Cripton805

nice =] i figured this out myself a while ago, just didnt have the new gasket.
also, i have a CEL saying vtec oil pressure low, this is probably it isnt it?

where can i buy the gasket?
You can get it online or at you local Hoda or Acura. At the dealer just ask them for a Vtec solenoid gasket. Request a diagram of the assembly to point it out. Some reps will say they dont sell it seperate. Tell him that they do and actually check. The guy tried to argue with me and he realized they did sell it seperate. Please rate the thread if you like it or ask to sticky... thxxx!

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
You can get it online or at you local Hoda or Acura. At the dealer just ask them for a Vtec solenoid gasket. Request a diagram of the assembly to point it out. Some reps will say they dont sell it seperate. Tell him that they do and actually check. The guy tried to argue with me and he realized they did sell it seperate. Please rate the thread if you like it or ask to sticky... thxxx!
lol rated thread because i didn't even know they sold that gasket either. as far as does dealer guys wow, one time i was at the honda dealer and the guy was arguing with me about integra and civic eg strut bolts not being compatible, funny guy:smackself

Cripton805

lol rated thread because i didn't even know they sold that gasket either. as far as does dealer guys wow, one time i was at the honda dealer and the guy was arguing with me about integra and civic eg strut bolts not being compatible, funny guy:smackself
They sell the Vtec solenoid new for less than $200. The top portion. They don't know they can sell it in pieces. Haha

Luckily another guy listening in the back came in and told him they do sell it. Not too many people ask for pieces because they don't know wtf their doing, but ppl like us know disss shit. hahaha

ryukkid

beep beep
thanks man ill do it this week ...i was wondering where did you get the little gasket from for the plug and are all vtec gasket the same size ?

Cripton805

thanks man ill do it this week ...i was wondering where did you get the little gasket from for the plug and are all vtec gasket the same size ?
Idk about all the Vtec gasket being the same for all engine series. They should be the same for all Vtec B series.

Idk what plugs came with the gasket or not. I had to take it off because it wouldn't fit my B18C plug with it on and that little plastic white square. I didn't have a gasket on mine originally, so I'm not sure which come with which. In the end as long as the plug fits. lmao

The Vtec solenoid I used was off of a JDM B16.

bcnu_702

I kill Noobs
Just thought I'd chime in since I recently replaced my VTEC solenoid gasket. The gasket I used is different then than the one Cripton used. I have a 96 Integra GSR. Here are a few pics of it.

Pic with Honda part #

VTEC Solenoid Gasket

New gasket (left) and old gasket (right)

*click on the images for a bigger pic

Cripton805

Just thought I'd chime in since I recently replaced my VTEC solenoid gasket. The gasket I used is different then than the one Cripton used. I have a 96 Integra GSR. Here are a few pics of it.

Pic with Honda part #

VTEC Solenoid Gasket

New gasket (left) and old gasket (right)

*click on the images for a bigger pic
Dude. That's the one that goes attached to the block/head. lol
:oops:

look at my pics and what part my gasket came off of.