TDC/camshaft problem!!!

drpepper123

I have a 94 integra non vtec.
Changed my head gasket
head is back on, 1st cylinder is 1 inch below the very top of block.
rockers are all mix up
cam arrow was both pointing up before taking apart. now it wont point up if i want the camshaft to stay in.
i also skip a step, i just slide the timing belt off. Now when i slide the timing belt back on, up arrow wont point up, 1 point at 1 oclock and the other point at 11 oclock.

How do i put my cam shaft back on and everything at tdc? It seem like my camshaft wont even go in now, is it because my mix my rockers? Thanks in advance

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
i slid my timing belt on and off also cause of a rounded off bolt. i had to carefully clamp the belt on so the cams were at tdc and sliding it back on. i also suggust you use a new belt instead of your old one

gamerchad

Are you sure that the #1 piston is right at TDC? Did you set it before tearing it apart? That could be it.

drpepper123

Are you sure that the #1 piston is right at TDC? Did you set it before tearing it apart? That could be it.
piston 1 is 1 inch off from the top.

would valve lash adjustment make my camshaft rod fit? then i can manually put cam arrows pointing up and slide the timing belt on? Also piston 1( driver side and passenger side) is an inch off from top, does that consider tdc?
thanks in advance

Prozon

Kris
I'm a little confused as to what your problem is. It kind of sounds like your trying to make your camshafts point up before putting the caps on?

Don't measure the pistons to tell where your at. There is a mark on your oil pump and on your crankshaft timing gear. Line the two up. (You may have to remove your lower timing belt cover, which I assume is already off.) Put the mark on the timing pump, that will put your #1 at TDC.

Next, install the cans with the nub sticking up. (The arrows as close as you can to horizontal.)
Tighten down the caps to spec.
THEN set the cams to the correct location.
You can use a wrench to hold the cams in place. You may need a buddy. It's bigger than an inch, I think the wrench to fit the cam is 1 and 1/16? Maybe 1 and 1/8?
Put a NEW belt on.
I also suggest buying new head bolts or ARP head studs.

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=56129

Last edited:

drpepper123

I'm a little confused as to what your problem is. It kind of sounds like your trying to make your camshafts point up before putting the caps on?

Don't measure the pistons to tell where your at. There is a mark on your oil pump and on your crankshaft timing gear. Line the two up. (You may have to remove your lower timing belt cover, which I assume is already off.) Put the mark on the timing pump, that will put your #1 at TDC.

Next, install the cans with the nub sticking up. (The arrows as close as you can to horizontal.)
Tighten down the caps to spec.
THEN set the cams to the correct location.
You can use a wrench to hold the cams in place. You may need a buddy. It's bigger than an inch, I think the wrench to fit the cam is 1 and 1/16? Maybe 1 and 1/8?
Put a NEW belt on.
I also suggest buying new head bolts or ARP head studs.

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=56129
my cam gears are on my cam, i never took it apart. basicly i just took cam plates off, then slide the timing belt off, then lift the cams up and took the head out. Reverse it to install, and the arrow on cams gear are off.

so if i get the crankshaft to tdc, i would be able to seat the cams? Right now if seat the cams with cam gears at up arrow, it wont seat all the way down.

Question

If i set my crankshaft to TDC, the cam gears arrow matter at all?

THANKS ALOT!

drpepper123

the link you gave me, i am stuck at 38. i skip couple step because i didnt take the crankshaft off. i just slide the timing belt off without loosening tension. so my bottom timing belt cover is still on. When i install the cams, the arrow on cams gears are not pointing up. If the arrow on cam gears doesnt matter, then i am able to install the cams.

Prozon

Kris
The arrows on the cams most certainly do matter. It has to be exact or your car will be off-time and run bad.

Put them as close to "up" as you can, and torque down the cam caps. After it's all tightened down, turn the cams manually. I think you will probably have to pull the bottom cover and make sure the crankshaft is lined up on mark. You might have to turn it off slightly to get it to seat better, but torque it to spec and THEN turn the cams to "Up" with the arrows horizontal facing each other.

You need to have all three timing marks perfect.