What oil should i use in my teg.

LSAllmotor

Alright i have searched the forums for a quite a while and still havent found my answer of what oil i should use in my 01 Integra ls. I have 185,000 miles on it and still running strong. Oil changes between 2,500-3000 miles and never missed one. I know 20w-50 is way to thick for honda engines. Is 5w-30 to thin for the mileage cause i know i burn oil not a lot though with 5w-30. Will 10w-40 be to thick and make my motor run sluggish? Or should i just stay with 10w-30? Thanks and if there is a thread out there like this i apologize deeply.

-Zack LSAllmotor

LSAllmotor

Its been run on non synthetic all this life. Once i do a rebuild i will run synthetic. Just want to know what oil i should use. Thanks. Asking between 10w-30, 10w-40.

Boss002

not meaning to thread high jack, but i have a 120k integra and i'm pretty sure it has had conventional oil all its life. is it ok to switch to some synthetic? or is it too late in its life

LSAllmotor

Fully synthetic and regular oil are not that different except that synthetic protects againts thermal breakdown better then conventional oil will. You can do it if your motor has been properly maintained. If its been poorly maintained then dont because there is a chance sludge is holding your shit together. Up to you brotha!

LSAllmotor

How many miles you have on the beast bro? And does she eat oil with 10w-30? Will 10w-40 be to thick for her?

gmni03

I would realy stick with synthetic oil, if i were u. U could run high millage if you'd like. I run Castro 10w40 high millage in my 91 teg n i have 200,000 miles n it runs fine.

Cripton805

5w-30 the first 100k.
10w-30 for the next 100k and my compression is spankin!!!
Only used Mobil full synthetic its whole life =D

For an LS it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't use synthetic. (waste of $)
10w-30 is the way to go.

LSAllmotor

I should say dont you think 10w-30 will be to thin for that mileage. I dont want the car to be sluggish because i know to thick of oil will definilty do that. Friend of mind put 20w-50 in his civic and it blew it sky high cause of the stress on the motor and no protection at cold start up.

Cripton805

I wont burn oil alot with 10w30 at 185,000 miles?
Not with a healthy engine. You also have to keep temperature in mind.

Thiner oil is better for cold temps.
Thicker oil is better for warmer temps.

Colder climates require thinner oil, it can lube the piston properly.
When the oil is thicker, it stays at the bottom of the pan in cold climate.

Warmer climates require thicker oils because warmer temperature thins out the oil and not providing proper lube with oil that's already thin to begin with.

Usually you would only switch between 5w or 10w.
Anything thicker than 30 might not lube up the pistons at startup causing wear especially in colder climate.