Timing Belt Install Hiccup

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
I'm trying to replace my timing belt, and I have done it before without incident but for some reason I'm just not able to line up the cam journals properly. I keep coming up with slack and the belt jumps teeth.

I need a good close up and focused picture of the cam journals in their proper position if someone has it I would appreciate it being posted. I know I'm just over thinking it but I don't have the time to keep fooling with it anymore.

Prozon

Kris
There is a hole in the top of the camshaft bearing cap, in the correct position the hole lines up with a hole in the camshaft, you should be able to put something in the hole to hold the cams while you install the belt.

Also make sure you have the same waterpump and timing belt that came off it.

nuenjin

Professional Ametuer
Thanks Prozon, I think we have different heads. Before you ask, the line on the crank sprocket is dead even with the mark on the block. It looks like I have the top aligned but you can see the 1/2" of deflection I am coming up with on the front side. So . . are my cams turned too far ahead or too far behind?

I feel a little dumb because I've done this before without a problem but today its kicking my ass.

Prozon

Kris
When you put the belt on, with the tensioner loose still you are supposed to turn it counter-clockwise a few times. That will tighten the belt up, and you can then tighten your tensioner to hold it tight.

Are you having trouble getting the belt with everything on the marks, or are you having trouble with it jumping AFTER you get it on? If it's jumping afterwards and you have done the counter-clockwise step.. well my only other thought could be that it's the wrong belt.

Edit:
(I typed that like four hours ago, but I lost connection and just closed my laptop. Haha.)