How to convert obd1 distributor harnesses to obd0

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
For those of you with obd0 cars that want to convert to obd1, you will have to run an obd1 distributor. And rather pay for an expensive conversion harness, with just some wire cutters, electrical tape, obd0 clips and a soldering iron you can save some money.

Items needed:
  • obd1 distributor
  • obd0 clips
  • eletrical tape
  • liquid electrical tape (optional)
  • solder
  • soldering iron
  • extra wire (optional but suggested)
I was lucky enough to already start with obd0 clips that had been extended so all I had to was cut off the obd2 clip

stuffs

Its important to not accidentally solder other wires together by dropping solder on them. I used a rag to cover up wires I wasnt soldering

You'll need to look up wiring diagrams to see what wire goes to what, orrrrr you can just use this chart :)

obd0------------------------------obd1
blu-yel--------------------------wht
blu-grn--------------------------org
blk-yel---------------------------blk-yel
wht---------------------------blu-yel
org---------------------------blu-grn
wht-blu---------------------------wht-blu
org-blu---------------------------org-blu
wht------------------------------yel-grn

all wired up:

I then put liquid tape on each connection, electrical tape on each connection, and then wrapped all the connections together in electrical tape.
blu

dAb2JV

very nice, doesnt seem like too difficult of a job. i have one question, i have no idea how to solder.......how did you learn?

nathan_carmona

Gold Member
very nice, doesnt seem like too difficult of a job. i have one question, i have no idea how to solder.......how did you learn?
I bought a sodering iron and had at it! :lol: its kinda hard to screw anything up soldering so bad that you cant fix it so just trial and error. Basically you just wait for the iron/gun to heat up, you twist your wires together, you place your solder on the wires, and then touch the iron/gun to the solder and just work with it. I'm sure theres how to's on youtube.

Honestly, its nothing to be scared of. You can buy some spare wire and practice on that if your realy worried.

Same way I leared to weld essentially. I had a piece of angle iron, and I just sat there and tried to keep a steady bead as far as I could and then flipped the iron over and tried to learn how to fill weld (which I can't do :cry:)