Fck! My teggy messed up..pls,help! :-(

BLVD

I was racing a honda del sol and topped close to 100 mph. I down shifted and battery light turned on and car shut off. Pulled off and it wouldnt turn back on. It would crank and sounded like the timing messed up. You know how that sounds! I started checking it and the alternator belt broke...:evil: I checked the timing top dead center and the crank pullys are off. I dont think I bent the valves or anything but since Im going to relace the belt Im just going to replace all the belts and water pump. and mightest well throw on the ported head that I have just sitting there. Well, my questions is! can someone explain how to adjust the timing and the bolt pattern for the heads,also what is a good lube for the heads,valves,etc.

thanks for reading and for all your help!8)

Last edited:

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I'll keep my personal opinions to myself, lol...no worries...

This link has all the info you need to swap the head. If you dig around, you will find a full writeup on setting cam timing and everything.

Garage Ninja Info

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
What RPM did you shift at though? And from what to gear to what? If you snapped an alternator belt AND your cam timing is now off, there is a good chance you did more damage.

BLVD

What RPM did you shift at though? And from what to gear to what? If you snapped an alternator belt AND your cam timing is now off, there is a good chance you did more damage.
5 Gear at about 6000 rpm to 4 gear to give it a push then back to fifth and then it turned off. If I did do more damange im just going to throw on the head anyway dameged or not. :)

and ofcourse it was at the track........:roll:

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Do you have a gsr or... Do you have any idea what rpm you hit?

ProjectDC2

sounded like a good time until dun dun dun ..... do u have a timing belt cover or is it open and exposed?

Jvest

*GET SHOOK*
If u were at 6k in 5th and downshifted to 4th u Definitely way over revved your engine. And if the cam timing is off I am about 90% sure you broke the timing belt and with Honda being a high interference motor and breaking it at that high rpm I would say u deff bent valves if not worse.
If u don't mind me asking why in the hell would u downshift if u were already over 6k!?

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Yea, I was gonna hold off till I knew more about what you were driving, but unless youve built your engine to handle it, you keep doing that you'll just keep wrecking parts...

ModemDron

DA_Dron
Holy F*CK! i don't know much about cars and from some of my previous posts you can tell that i was reckless with my car.., but it seems to be common sense not to shift down to 4th at 6,000rpm in 5th. Even downshifting from 5th @ 4,000rpm to 4th will shoot up the revs like hell! i can't even imagine what you did. Best of wishes to your car though :|

BLVD

Holy F*CK! i don't know much about cars and from some of my previous posts you can tell that i was reckless with my car.., but it seems to be common sense not to shift down to 4th at 6,000rpm in 5th. Even downshifting from 5th @ 4,000rpm to 4th will shoot up the revs like hell! i can't even imagine what you did. Best of wishes to your car though :|
It was lower than 6000 but for sure over 5000. Ive done it before and I was fine till now. Well,the timing belt did not brake but it does look like it was about to. Ill be careful next time. My mechanic friend told me I did not bend anything....:). I guess im lucky! But I have a ported head just sitting there anyway so Im mightest well throw it in and be careful with next time. I guess you have to learn the hardway sometimes. Im new at this by the way.....this is my first acura b18b1.:oops: