Our Website Family: TunerSports.com ClubCivic.com ClubIntegra.com
Attention Acura Integra Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or r

Welcome to ClubIntegra.com.

A forum dedicated to the Acura Integra, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will entitle you to other site features including access to post your Acura Integra in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

To start viewing messages by generation, select the Acura Integra forum that you want to visit from the list below. Or view all Acura Integra forums.

Go Back   ClubIntegra.com - Acura Integra Forum > Integra Generations Tech > 3rd Generation Acura Integra (1994-2001)

Notices

Please SEARCH before posting a new thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

How To: Replace Leaking Cam Cap/Seal

3rd Generation Acura Integra (1994-2001)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
TheIVJackal
Freedom through Jesus

Send a message via AIM to TheIVJackal
Lightbulb How To: Replace Leaking Cam Cap/Seal

*This process is pretty much the same for non-vtec engines*
I believe that on most Integras, this seal ends up leaking at some point and its best to fix it right away before the oil that leaks out gets everything around it dirty. Worst of all is the smell of burned oil off of the exhaust manifold. Let’s get Started!
What you will need:
Hammer
RTV For Gasket Making
Ratchet Wrench with 10mm &12mm sockets
Rag(s)
Torque Wrench (Optional)

Remove the hose connected to the valve cover.

Remove the spark plug wire cover and pull out the spark plug boots. If they are hard to remove, rotate them clockwise and counter-clock wise while pulling up.

Remove the nuts in blue. When re-installing, torque to 7.2ft-lbs or just snug. Very easy to snap the studs so please, Be Careful!

Now with the valve cover removed, you will need to remove these bolts. When re-installing, torque the ones in red to 7.2ft-lbs and the ones in green to 20ft-lbs. One of the bolts in green was very tight, be careful not to round off the head! You can stick the socket on top and hit it with a little force to break loose its bind or use some other form, just be careful not to do more damage. If you do round off the head, try using the same socket or the next size up, put a piece of paper in it, and try to remove it that way.

This is what you’re left with when removed.

Now get your hammer out and lightly tap on the part as shown in the picture. It will break loose and you can access the old cap.

Compare the old cap to the new one. As you can see, my new Blox Cam Cap is a much better part.

Be sure to clean these surfaces well as you want as little to no RTV remaining from the previous cap.

Now apply your RTV to the new Cap, you can apply more than I did if you so choose.

Place into the same groove that the old one was in.

Now follow the directions on your RTV of choice, mine says to tighten down about half way and wait an hour so that the gasket forms. You’ll know when you tightened it enough as the RTV will ooze out of the two mating surfaces. After that hour, go ahead and torque it down. Remember to tighten the bolts from the center on out, in a star pattern.

And you’re done! Just reverse the steps and be happy you aint leaking oil! Great job
- Aaron

"Speak nothing but the truth, and you'll soon be considered dangerous" - Ashleigh Brilliant

"The greatest trick the devil ever made was convince the world he didn't exist" - Unknown

"Those who are wise, learn from the mistakes of others" - Unknown

Last edited by TheIVJackal; 07-27-2013 at 02:49 AM.
TheIVJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
96GSRteg
Tyler

send this to kris so he can put it in his DIY. nice job on including torque specs.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Prozon
Kris

Send a message via AIM to Prozon

Added it to the list. Good job Aaron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexpepper123 View Post
I like my integras like i like my women... shaved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGstackadolla View Post
I'm calling the next thread to be a homemade turbo. A high-powered house fan, some conduit, and Epoxy. He's like a redneck MacGyver
Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Prozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
pinkley
b@115D33p

Good write up homie! I went ahead and replaced my valve cover gaskets when I did mine sense I already had the VC off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltyxxspark View Post
I hope you die in a fire along with the entire cast of Toddlers & Tiaras.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs300cky View Post
If only someone could make a fingerable pussy shifter for guys lmao
pinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
72Spitfire

This is the way all how to posts should be. Nice work and positive rep for you sir.

72Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
TheIVJackal
Freedom through Jesus

Thanks guys! Nice to get some appreciation for the time I dedicated to helping out the community. Replacing the ValveCover Gasket is optional by the way and its a good idea to put a dab of RTV on the sharp corners of the gasket but its not really neccessary.

"Speak nothing but the truth, and you'll soon be considered dangerous" - Ashleigh Brilliant

"The greatest trick the devil ever made was convince the world he didn't exist" - Unknown

Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Sammich

i'm always nervous to do this because i'm scared of it jumping timing. good write up w/ pics though

CI Official DB Squad #8
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
da9_vito
Hazardous Grounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra_hot View Post
i'm always nervous to do this because i'm scared of it jumping timing. good write up w/ pics though

If your nervous about doing this put the motor at TDC and put an Allen key into the cam on the intake side and it wont jump.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
dlo253
Cascade Honda Crew

Good write up! Mine just started leaking so ill be doing this soon. Except im gonna make my own caps...I just love working in a cnc machine shop, ahh. Get to make anything i want..

Custom billet machine work available, inquire thru PM.

DB2 Squad Member #3-DB2 Progress/Build Thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
I assure you myself and dlo have more capability of doing something like this when we're asleep then you do.
dlo253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
stallion

great write up. just be careful when torquing down. one of my cam cover bolts snapped which made this into a much more arduous and time consuming diy than intended. i had to remove the specific cam cover, drill and use a bolt extractor (left-handed drill bit works, too, to remove snapped studs, stripped bolts etc) to remove the snapped bolt and redo the cam seal w/ rtv not to mention the hell of finding a new bolt since the dealer was out of stock and there were none locally on craigslist. luckily, i found a nearby shop that had a similar bolt that worked. so seriously, be very careful when torquing down. you don't wanna go through what i just went through since this is an easy diy. but, after all that work, the initial info in this write up worked great b/c no more leaking cam seal or valve cover and no smell of burnt oil when i drive. just had to get through that huge impediment of a snapped cam cover bolt.

Last edited by stallion; 12-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.
stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
The_818_Boi
Keep It JDM Bruhh!

Great Write Up Bro! So Easy To Follow.
The_818_Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
dlo253
Cascade Honda Crew

Super bump!!
Anybody that plans on doing this anytime soon, don't hesitate to hit me up for a custom billet aluminum cam seal.
Just find my FS thread or shoot me a PM.

Custom billet machine work available, inquire thru PM.

DB2 Squad Member #3-DB2 Progress/Build Thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
I assure you myself and dlo have more capability of doing something like this when we're asleep then you do.
dlo253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #13
TheIVJackal
Freedom through Jesus

I'll take a 10% Royalty on any sales for using My DiY for promotion

Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
Prozon
Kris

Send a message via AIM to Prozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo253 View Post
Super bump!!
Anybody that plans on doing this anytime soon, don't hesitate to hit me up for a custom billet aluminum cam seal.
^ I can vouch for his work. He is a great machinist. I even had him make me a part from scratch with just some specs I gave him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexpepper123 View Post
I like my integras like i like my women... shaved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGstackadolla View Post
I'm calling the next thread to be a homemade turbo. A high-powered house fan, some conduit, and Epoxy. He's like a redneck MacGyver
Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Prozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
1994 Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo253 View Post
Super bump!!
Pm'd
1994 Integra is offline   Reply With Quote